Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Updating

Hello;

I am curious about the update procedure of MSFS 2020:

Every time that I start the sim it automatically installs world updates.

My real question is...does the sim always install necessary updates automatically?...or do we also have to check and install updates ourselves?...

how does this really work?...because if i leave this updating proces entirely up to the sim thinking that all will be ok...and then if things start going wrong within the simulator because I forgot to update things myself.

So...can this updating proces be left completely to the sim...or do we also additionally have to update ourselves also?...

3 hours ago, Captain747 said:

So...can this updating proces be left completely to the sim...or do we also additionally have to update ourselves also?...

The required updates will occur automatically, but optional updates need to be checked via the Content Manager.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I am a little confused by this also. After updating to SU9 which appeared to work flawlessly, a couple of days latter I noticed in the content manager that I had to manually select 2 updates - one for Standard and one for Premium Delux. I dont understand this.

Regards

Glenn

1 minute ago, glennav8r said:

I am a little confused by this also. After updating to SU9 which appeared to work flawlessly, a couple of days latter I noticed in the content manager that I had to manually select 2 updates - one for Standard and one for Premium Delux. I dont understand this.

Regards

Glenn

That's perfectly normal. You've probably missed the updates in the Content Manager just after the SU9 mandatory update.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 hours ago, edpatino said:

That's perfectly normal. You've probably missed the updates in the Content Manager just after the SU9 mandatory update.

OK thank you. 

On 4/29/2022 at 10:41 PM, Bert Pieke said:

The required updates will occur automatically, but optional updates need to be checked via the Content Manager.

So this basically means that we have to check ourselves on a regular basis the content manager and if by any chance we forget all goes wrong!...kinda confusing if you ask me spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

if by any chance we forget all goes wrong!

Nothing goes wrong.. you will be missing optional updates, that is all.  Gives you the option of installing or not..

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Nothing goes wrong.. you will be missing optional updates, that is all.  Gives you the option of installing or not..

So those optional updates in the content manager are not really mandatory for a proper functioning of the sim...the way I understand it...its purely if the user wishes to install them...

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:24 PM, glennav8r said:

Regards

Glenn

Well...what about this guys situation where he apparently "missed"  to install 2 seemingly required updates that had to go along with SU9?...which draws me to conclude that with every automatic update additional content manager updates are required  to go along with the automatic update...

my God...could Asobo & Microsoft make all this any more complicated?...sure they could!...and they probably will...this will drive anyone insane...should be way more simple procedure.

27 minutes ago, Captain747 said:

what about this guys situation where he apparently "missed"  to install 2 seemingly required updates

Where do you get the notion that these were "required"..?  Personally, I prefer to have the option to chose..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Look at it this way - there are three versions of MSFS:

Standard version:(the basic sim, updated automatically).

Deluxe version (which is the Standard version + Deluxe version extra content).

Premium version (which is the Standard version + Deluxe version extra content + Premium version extra content).

So, everyone has at least the Standard version, and everyone gets the Sim Update (SU) automatically - that's the mandatory update.

Those who have the Deluxe version then click on the update for the Deluxe. This updates the Deluxe extra content.

Those who have the Premium version then click on the update for the Deluxe, and then the update for Premium. This updates the Deluxe and Premium extra content.

Deluxe and Premium  just contain extra aircraft and airports - only those who own those versions need to update them, and they can do that whenever is convenient.

Edited by Paul K

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org