Sign in to follow this  
jwhak

Sim Update 9 Thunder & Lightning

Howdy,

Any guru's know if thunder & lightning still exists?  We have been having some storms in the Midwest U.S. tonight.  Picking up rain but no thunder or lightning. Be advised I tried to do a search and the search function for me is timing out or what ever that tech language is 😉  

Thanks & Happy Landings,

Josh

Yes noticed this too. Went from Lightning/thunder in clear blue skies to never.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

yep this changed long ago after the ill-fated "What lightning in clear skies bug?" fiasco, when they fixed that they managed to break real life storms. I've not gone Storm Hunting myself in Sim for 2 maybe 3 updates though so it may of changed, I'll have a look myself soon and see if I can find any.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Appreciate the cross checking.   I am afraid lightning & thunder have been officially removed or is missing in action.  I know a lot of people were griping  about lightning in the past.  I read posts about lightning and thunder being too much.

What little bit of real flight experience I have never really got near ts & lightning.  But I am assuming you probably could see lightning further at altitude. When the sim did have lightning I loved the night flights and the challenge of kinda getting flash banged from lightning on approach and maintaining your bearing and slowly waiting for eyes to adapt back to the gauges keep it together and bring her in.

Anyone know if its coming back or they are working on it?

Thanks & Happy Landings,

Josh

Right now at KIYA in the US there's a storm as seen on many weather outlets, I load into Sim with Live Weather and volia, immediately lightning before I've even had a chance to reset the VR view! So Yes, Thunder & Lightning based on real world weather is working in Sim, at least here anyway.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Rgr that Marc. Thanks for the info.  In the mid U.S. a couple days ago we had a lot of fast moving t-storms with all the essentials including the darn tornadoes.  Wonder how often live weather updates.   Either way I would get the rain and no thunder & lightning.  Wonder if the t-storm has to be sitting over the field for awhile for the sim to push the thunder & lightning.  Because these storms were shooters & scooters sorta speaking.

Happy Landings,

JW

• Like 1

Live Weather has a habit of messing about from time to time. Anyway here's some pics from that storm, didn't manage to catch any of the lightning inside though (too quick for my key press!);

FS2020_20220501_201906_NIS_65_10_L.jpg

FS2020_20220501_200459_NIS_65_10_L.jpg

FS2020_20220501_201716_NIS_65_10_L.jpg

I used the storm preset two days ago, and there was lightning. Don't know about thunder as I had the sound turned down.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Seen it once in Live Weather in the past few weeks, somewhere over northern Australia.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

hmm the current Thunderstorms over northern France do not appear in Sim for me, the clouds and rain are there but no lightning unlike my test previously which was just fine, be good if Asobo sorted this Live Weather out once and for all 🤐

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-will-storms-be-depicted-correctly/517315

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/isolated-thunderstorms-and-consequences/516173

I saw lightning last night 15 MAY 2022 in live weather just north of Cuba and it was real different than I've ever seen before. It was horizontal and very fast flashes - it looked pretty cool and realistic! It happened a few times and then never again. Only other problem was the clouds were just broken blobs of scattered cumulus puffs all over and could see the ground through them, although it was night.

So yes they are broken and need to be fixed or recreated from scratch. Thunderstorms (which of course create lightning and thunder) are really majestic to see while flying IRW, and also should be avoided at all costs - but within MSFS even if one is found it is no problem to just fly through it.

Edited by KERNEL32