Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Rudder Peddles for Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean 'compatible' rudder pedals. It seems to me that any set would work or am I missing something?

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I have the Saitek rudder pedals on one of my simulators. Work fine. I converted the pedals over to Cessna-type with a conversion kit I purchased from E-bay.

5 hours ago, pgde said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean 'compatible' rudder pedals. It seems to me that any set would work or am I missing something?

Great response.

For NZAA, rudder pedals and yoke make or brand are in no way exclusive to each other.  Nothing particularly wrong with the Saitek/Logitech pedals, I used a set for 14 years trouble free. Several other makes of rudder pedals are equal or superior, just depends on your budget. 

What aircraft types do you mostly fly and what is your flying style?  Barnstorming, crop dusting, air racing may likely find one make better, but VFR sightseeing or IFR airline flying might find you making a different decision.  Factor in the characteristics of your own flying and then ask again.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 5/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, pgde said:

I don't know? Can you have two different inputs like this or do the rudder pedals need to be 'compatible'. I'm asking because I don't know. 

Edited by NZAA

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

Great response.

For NZAA, rudder pedals and yoke make or brand are in no way exclusive to each other.  Nothing particularly wrong with the Saitek/Logitech pedals, I used a set for 14 years trouble free. Several other makes of rudder pedals are equal or superior, just depends on your budget. 

What aircraft types do you mostly fly and what is your flying style?  Barnstorming, crop dusting, air racing may likely find one make better, but VFR sightseeing or IFR airline flying might find you making a different decision.  Factor in the characteristics of your own flying and then ask again.

Currently flying the FBW A320 but will be looking at PMDG 737 when it's released. 

Only looking at Saitek pedals as I assumed they'd need to be compatible with my yoke.  I was considering the Airbus sidestick but haven't done it yet because I wasn't sure if I'd switch to Boeing and PMDG based on their future 777 as well.

Based on the fact they can be independent, what good options are out there?  

Here's two local supplies in NZ

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/ProductCatList.aspx?q=rudder pedals&scid=-1

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/search?sf=rudder+pedals&search_type=prediction

Cost is towards the upper end of what I want to spend, but have family heading to the USA shortly who could pick something up over there. 

33 minutes ago, NZAA said:

Currently flying the FBW A320 but will be looking at PMDG 737 when it's released. 

Only looking at Saitek pedals as I assumed they'd need to be compatible with my yoke.  I was considering the Airbus sidestick but haven't done it yet because I wasn't sure if I'd switch to Boeing and PMDG based on their future 777 as well.

Based on the fact they can be independent, what good options are out there?  

Here's two local supplies in NZ

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/ProductCatList.aspx?q=rudder pedals&scid=-1

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/search?sf=rudder+pedals&search_type=prediction

Cost is towards the upper end of what I want to spend, but have family heading to the USA shortly who could pick something up over there. 

First and foremost question is this.  During each flight, how much are you using rudder pedals?  Based on what you stated above I would assume steering during taxi, takeoff and landing rolls. and initial control after rotation, and control on final after extinguishing autopilot.  Does that pretty much sum it up for you?  Just attempting to draw a conclusion from the description you provided, coupled with my own experience when flying in a similar manner.

If my summary is on song, then virtually any quality rudder pedals will serve  you well and thus my feeling is you may be over-thinking this.

My flight style is primarily general aviation. Single and twin engine props.  In that vein it is likely that I fly much more VFR and VFR in tight local patterns and maneuver's.  That is with these simulators when more precise rudder pedal controls is desirable.  Desirable, not mandatory.

I recommend you measure the use you make of rudder pedals and what level of precision that demands.  No need to overthink or overspend.  Note that I am not mentioning any brands/makes/models.  Assess your own needs and ignore any tribalism you might read.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

NZAA -- there is no need for the yoke to match the pedals. Many people have different yokes and pedals. The answers to questions that fppilot asked about your use cases for rudder pedals should determine what you should buy (and of course budget).

Hope these posts have helped give you information!

Have a good week.,..

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, fppilot said:

First and foremost question is this.  During each flight, how much are you using rudder pedals?  Based on what you stated above I would assume steering during taxi, takeoff and landing rolls. and initial control after rotation, and control on final after extinguishing autopilot.  Does that pretty much sum it up for you?  Just attempting to draw a conclusion from the description you provided, coupled with my own experience when flying in a similar manner.

If my summary is on song, then virtually any quality rudder pedals will serve  you well and thus my feeling is you may be over-thinking this.

My flight style is primarily general aviation. Single and twin engine props.  In that vein it is likely that I fly much more VFR and VFR in tight local patterns and maneuver's.  That is with these simulators when more precise rudder pedal controls is desirable.  Desirable, not mandatory.

I recommend you measure the use you make of rudder pedals and what level of precision that demands.  No need to overthink or overspend.  Note that I am not mentioning any brands/makes/models.  Assess your own needs and ignore any tribalism you might read.

TO be honest, I just use the C1 & C2 toggle on the ground. That's moving the tiller more than anything though. 

In flight I don't use it. I'm wondering if pedals will help my flying / landing.