Sign in to follow this  
teropa

2D panel undocking and saving in WINDOWED mode - not working

The silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yep. So much for the good customer relations. I wonder how LARGE CAPITALS one has to yell to get a comment. I am usually not the first one to come out and shout about mistakes, but I feel this is the kind of problem that it needs 1. commenting by MS/ACES and then 2. addressing the issue with a patch or workaround of some sort. Number 3. no comment / no action is NOT an option.Tero

PPL(A)

Guest zinja

BUMP!I have the same concern. I'm so used to is now that I half expect to see panel adjustment on my kneeboard checklists. It shouldn't be this way. On a similar topic: how about adding a panel mode that simulates breaking 3840x1024 into three separate panels?! Sure, I can open three panels and move the viewpoint, but here's the problem: when I look up, down, left, or right, the straight edges that I took so much care to line up on my screen fall into or away from each other on my screens. It's POV problem I think would be easy to fix. This would give us visuals like the TH2G, without spending $300. I really don't think it would take much to get this working.

Guest LeeWang

Tero, I'll bump this thread for you.The only work around I've found is to: Re-Install FS9.Lee

Guest eagle201

It is possible to do this in the .flt file. First you create a flight and move your windows to the other monitors, next save the flight in the windowed mode of FSX, not the full screen. Exit FSX in the windowed mode and then open the flight (you'll have to find it in the //My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files folder) with notepad. Find the section starting with Panel .1, with numbers next to undocoords. There should be one for each undocked panel. In the undocoords section there are 4 number separated by a comma, these are the coordinates of the panel on the undocked monitor and the size of the panel. You have to manually change them and with a little trial and error you can have your panels saved on the extra monitors at the exact location and size you want. You must exit FSX in the windowed mode and start the flight in the windowed mode, then switch to full screen. Once you enter the settings you are happy with them, they can be transfered to other flights of the same type of aircraft via copy and paste. I did this with the LVLD 767 and three monitors, it works fine. There is still a bug in FSX not allowing it to save the monitor location but this is a work around until its fixed. It's a little work but better then dragging the panels around every time you start a flight. Here's an example of the Panel.# section: (also make sure Undocked=True section is set to True.)ScreenUniCoords=3280, 1192, 2032, 3480UndocCoords=1447, 0, 207, 329Visible=TrueUndocked=TrueHiddenOn=FalseID=10ViewsOn=1Hope this helps.JSample

>It is possible to do this in the .flt file. ...>Hope this helps.>>JSampleIf you ever make it to Lafayette, look me up and I will buy you a beer. ####, I will buy you dinner. This is more than Phil Microsoft and company has given us all week. Phil, I know you do a lot and usually communicate well with this community. I, for one, appreciate your time and efforts. However, the silence I heard on this issue gave everyone connected with Microsoft and Aces a black eye.This is a valuable piece of information for those of us who want to use FSX (anyone listening in Seattle) and separate monitors for the instrument panels.Thank you!

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Hi I suspected that it was possible to edit the FLT files, but didn't try it yet.One thing: Can I use the panel in the Windowed mode (this is what I am after), with the undocked panels in the right place? Because you say you have to switch fo full screen? Thank you!Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Bud

I've been trying to edit the flt file for some time. Problem is that from what I can see the co-ords in the original are pretty well what they should be. These seem to be ignored when the flt is loaded and all panels are dumped on one of my secondary monitors one on top of the other in complete disregard for the coords in the flt file. The other oddity for me is with the LDS 767. If I load all the undocked panels, the plane's processes do not work. If I load all except one, reposition the panels and then load and position the remaining panel, all works fine.All of this is so frustrating.Bud

Guest rap777

Still no official word on this?Alfred

Guest Bud

BUMP - yet again. I can't believe this. If there is a problem in the program, for goodness sake just say so - at least we'll know where we are.Bud

Seems like they have chosen a mode of silence with this one.Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Arry

Hello,ACES, come on, we need a solution for this annoying arranging of the panels and views every time we restart a saved flight !Happy landingsArry

Well, I hate to be the only one here but I don't have this problem. I'm running FSX under Vista and this problem doesn't exist. It also didn't exist under XP. I'm running a TripleHead2Go configuration without the problem of undocking panels in window mode.One thing you might check (if you're using NVidia-based graphics cards) are the settings checked in the NVidia Desktop Manager utility. On my system, NONE of the boxes can be checked for the display to run properly - including undocking of windows.Also check to see if your 2D panel radio box is checked in the FSX setting. I don't start my aircraft with the VC so maybe this is the problem for you folks.FrankPS Knocking ACES over the problem is not the answer. In my opinion this issue is a system configuration problem and not an FSX one. I don't believe we had a single posting on the FSX BETA site about this issue.

Frank,Perhaps you didn't read the original post carefully enough. The problem is not the undocking. It is saving of a multimonitor configuration in windowed mode, where several undocked panels have been moved to various locations accross the multiple monitors. And then the flight has been saved. Now when you load the saved flight, ALL of the undocked panels appear in the Main monitor (where main Panel is loaded) and NOT in the locations and sizes they were saved to.This has all worked without problems in FS2004 and FS2002 at least. I have arranged my cockpit at home (just 3 monitors accross, nothing fancy) the past 6 years like this. And the past 3 years at a home cockpit site, when building a full sized 757 simulator.You bet ACES/MS is the *only* one who can give an answer to this. You will not find game features inside drivers or tweaks.Looks like nobody in the beta was using a multimon configuration. Nor was there apparently any home cockpit builders. Can you imagine the hassle of having to re-arrange upto 10 panels accross the monitors EVERY time you open the flight sim.Tero

PPL(A)