Sign in to follow this  
teropa

2D panel undocking and saving in WINDOWED mode - not working

Hi Phil,Thanks for responding to this.Are there any news regarding this issue yet?Tero

PPL(A)

We are committed to investigate this one, but until thats done I wont know what a fix entails and if its straightforward enough to fit within available dev time and if test will buy-off on the increased test time.Its going to be tight to comment on this by mid-August, but I do hope to be able to disclose DX10 features and what will be in the web download for DX9 people at the same time.It is certainly under consideration to name the release something like FSX-SP2(DX10) to indicate that there is some value for the DX9 crowd. That will require marketing buy-off, but I am already working that.

Thank you, Phil.This is good information.If I may ask something that's a little unclear. Do you see this as strictly DX9-related problem, that would in any case be OK with the DX10 functionality added to the simulator? Or is this perhaps a problem also with the DX10 (if you are even able to say this yet) ?Tero

PPL(A)

This is an issue independent of the rendering API. We'd have to fix it for it to work in DX10.

So after digging into this, I have a question.Saved flights do save the undocked window position information. I just checked.Why isnt that an acceptable solution?

Guest RonB49

>So after digging into this, I have a question.>>Saved flights do save the undocked window position>information. I just checked.>>Why isnt that an acceptable solution?Have you confirmed this on a real multi-mon system or are you just looking at the data fields in the Flight file? Those coordinates in the file seem not to be reflected in what's on my screens. Or I'm just too dense to figure it out. R-

Guest Aviator_Frank

I have a multi-mon system and while the undocked windows do indeed get saved to the second screen, their sizes are incorrectly saved. They default to the upper left corner of the second monitor and I have to re-size them.

If it only worked that way.If you operate FSX under WinXP, simulator in the windowed mode.Undock windows in the sim, and drag them to the second monitor (resize a little, if you like). Save the flight. Now reload the flight and you will see all of the open, undocked windows that you saved appear on the main monitor over the main instrument panel. Often the size of the windows is also just the default, and not the one you resized them into.So two things happen. The windows you have resized and moved to another location (undocked), appear on the main monitor in their default size upon reloading. This happens in the windowed mode only. I have tried several aircraft, no difference in results. I have been a beta tester for so long, that I know how to replicate things, and this one is a no-brainer. Happens every time.For some reason FSX is not loading the undocked window positions and sizes upon reloading. What is alarming is that ONE time I was able to load the FMC of the Level-D at the second monitor (although size was back to default). At that time I had two other undocked windows and they didn't save their location. That was the only time I have seen this "partly work". After that I have had no success in saving the locations so that they also load in the correct place. I have tried several times. So if it sometimes works, and sometimes only works for different people, and sometimes in a different manner, there clearly is something wrong in that function.Tero

PPL(A)

It's even worse, after saving a flight as default, on re-load, it changes the main view from "locked spot" to VC and the main window isn't maximised to the left screen.This is the situation I saved:savedro1.jpgThis is during loading:duringloadfw4.jpgAfter loading:afterloador6.jpg512MB FX 7900GS driving two 19" flat panels.George

Yes, I verified this with 1,2, and 3 undocked windows on 1 and 2 monitors. In all 3 cases the undocked windows were restored to the original location on the correct monitor after loading the saved flight.

Guest Aviator_Frank

Phil -While the undicked panels did indeed restore to their respective screens, their sizes were not restored. i.e. I had to drag the window back to my originally-saved size.Is that fixable?Thanks for your help Frank

repeat,no repro on that here. I took 1,2,and 3 undocked windows on 1 and 2 monitors and this worked. I did position them, but I didnt resize them. I will try that today.

So I tried this with:3 undocked views( 2 on the secondary, 1 on the primary) plus main windowon both XP ( Deluxe+SP1 install ) and Vista ( Dev enlistment build ) and this worked in both cases. The window size, positions, and monitors were all restored.Saved images attached. I am asking our test team if they can repro the failures.

Yes, but aren't they *views* Phil?The folks here have been discussing the retention of *panels* on multiple monitors surely.Vox