Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich1241

FSX Reinstall problem.

Guest rich1241

Hi everyone,I have been using FSX with no problems for a few months now. I needed to compleltely uninstall the sim and all other addons and programs associated with it to enable me to install SP1. When I come to reinstall the sim, every time I insert the disk into my dvd slot, I start to hear the disk turn, but then it stops, and my computer looks perfectly normal. However, as soon as I do anything other then select an icon on my desktop, everything freezes, and I have to restart. The annyoying thing is, is that the same disc works fine in TWO other computers that I tried. There is no problem with my dvd drive, as I can still install FS9 and other games, for example.Also, I have installed FSX in the past no differently with no problems. Please help if you can because after 75 minutes on the phone trying to talk to Microsoft, you begin to wonder if there is a solution!!Cheers,Richard.PS - There is a similar thread (http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt22976.html) but I have tried all of the suggestions and to no avail.PC Specs:Microsoft Windows XP Pro1TB Hard DriveAMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processer (2.8 GHz)Geforce 8800 GTX2 GB of RAM

It sounds like a bad DVD drive which will need to be replaced.FS9 uses the CD function of the drive which will sometimes work while the DVD part doesn't.Though it could be the DVD drivers. Can you play a DVD movie in the drive?

Guest rich1241

Yeh no problem with playing DVD's and I have tried some other games that need a dvd drive and they work fine.

Guest moogman

Could be your CD autorun is just not working. Try browsing to the CD root in Windows Explorer and executing the setup program manually.Jeff

Guest rich1241

Nope I have tried to do that and it doesn't recoginse that there is a disc in the drive or it freezes and then does not respond.

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Nope I have tried to do that and it doesn't recoginse that>there is a disc in the drive or it freezes and then does not>respond.I had the same problems. I picked uo a Sony Multifunction/format drive from NewEgg. The thing will burn/read DVD-RW, + RW, and so on.It seems to read whatever you throw at it. It does cost a few more dollars, well worth it IMHO.I had burned some DVD's some time ago but the same drive I used to burn em wouldn't read em,!@%#&*, the Sony does with no sweat.

Guest rich1241

Well that's fine but why cant I install it now because I have managed to install it in the past, with absolutely no problems. So, I don't think a new drive is the answer because it worked previously and still installs other dvd games.

Have you tried the same disk in another computer?Have you checked the disk surface for dirt and scratches?Have you run a lens cleaner in your drive?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest rich1241

As I said in my original post 'The annyoying thing is, is that the same disc works fine in TWO other computers that I tried..'The disk has no scratches and I don't see why I need a lens cleaner in the drive because other dvd games work and install fine.

Guest rich1241

Problem now solved - I installed a different DVD player in my pc (temp) and it installed on that.Thanks for all the help,Richard.