Sign in to follow this  
c912039

Request for ehancement to Learner.exe

HI,

Ive just come back to using PSXT after a gap of a few years, and I can see fantastic enhancements have been made during this time.

I would like to ask if it would be possible to add a feature into Learner.exe that would greatly help me configuring/setting up manual registrations for airports of interest.

Would it be possible for Learner.exe to create a learner-rego-log.txt file, that would record the registration and aircraft type observed whilst learning at a specific airport?

For example, something similar to what is logged by PSXT when connected to the sim:

YKP      VH-EQJ     PVT DA40
VMY      VH-VMY    PVT C172
FD573    VH-FXJ    PVT PC12
PQG      VH-PQG   PVT DA40
YKP      VH-EQJ     PVT DA40
VMY      VH-VMY    PVT C172
FD543    VH-FVF   PVT PC12
FD573    VH-FXJ    PVT PC12

One of  reasons I would like this, is to assist building regcode files.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service have a lot of aircraft flying around the country, with callsign of FlyDoc and IATA prefix of FD.
Many years ago I asked it it was possible to add their prefix to the list of airlines, but because they only have/use a 2 char IATA code and not a 3 char ICAO, I was advised this was not possible.

So, if Learner.exe could log which regos it sees in a separate log file, I could then go through the list and use the logged information to manually build up text files in data/regcodes to do the reg to model matching.

We have a number of flying schools  that I would like to be able to observer and record their regos (these are PVT flights) so I can build up regcode entries to model match their aircraft type as well.

Regards

David

Added to my -to do- list.

EDIT:

Do you want the callsign too? 

And for what aircraft types,  light (GA)  + small only, or ?

One file, or a file per airport?

Edited by kiek

Hi,

Yes I think file per airport makes very good sense.  Callsign, and, flightplan to/from (which appears in the main PSXT log, so I guess its easily available) might be handy too, to help identify aircraft,, callsigns, reg etc.

All aircraft types would be handy to log,

There is one other detail that might help those who want to code airline schedules into their airport xml files, and that would be registering the day of the week number next to the hour when the aircraft was observed parked.  I dont need this info for myself, however others might find it a great resource to help them observe and write up custom configs for their airports.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Available in 31.6 => Learner 10.2.0

• Like 1

Fantastic, many thanks.

In the release notes you mentioned that Duplicates are skipped. Would you be able to explain what entries are checked to decide if a line/record is determined to be a duplicate and therefore skipped please.

I noticed that the first time I ran the updated Learner, and selected the option to log airport traffic, the airport file was not created (as the learner_files directory had not been created yet). When I quite out of Learner, it then created the directory, but did not write out an airport txt file in that directory.

Next time I ran it, it did start to write out the file. The issue I observed the first time MIGHT have been because the learner_files directory did not exist.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, c912039 said:

Fantastic, many thanks.

In the release notes you mentioned that Duplicates are skipped. Would you be able to explain what entries are checked to decide if a line/record is determined to be a duplicate and therefore skipped please.

I noticed that the first time I ran the updated Learner, and selected the option to log airport traffic, the airport file was not created (as the learner_files directory had not been created yet). When I quite out of Learner, it then created the directory, but did not write out an airport txt file in that directory.

Next time I ran it, it did start to write out the file. The issue I observed the first time MIGHT have been because the learner_files directory did not exist.

For example,

4,DLH,E190,D-AECH,DLH6CJ,,
4,DLH,E190,D-AECH,DLH6CJ,FRA,LUX
=>
4,DLH,E190,D-AECH,DLH6CJ,FRA,LUX

and

4,KLM,E75L,PH-EXL,PH-EXL,AMS,BRS
4,KLM,E75L,PH-EXL,KLM1049,AMS,BRS
=>
4,KLM,E75L,PH-EXL,KLM1049,AMS,BRS

Edited by kiek

Hi Nico,

Would it possible to make Learner log the gate numbers where arriving traffic has parked? something like this:

ACA,B789,C-FRSI,ACA74,YUL,CAI,g55

Thanks!

Amine.

5 hours ago, vcaptain747 said:

Would it possible to make Learner log the gate numbers where arriving traffic has parked? something like this:

ACA,B789,C-FRSI,ACA74,YUL,CAI,g55

Yes it will. 

Available in the next release.

One last thing,  would it be possible to add a gate arrival/departure timestamp ?  I should have asked for this in the previous post, my bad.

Thank you,

Amine.

3 hours ago, vcaptain747 said:

One last thing,  would it be possible to add a gate arrival/departure timestamp ? 

Why do you need that?

Glad you asked.

There is two ways this could be useful, one for PSXT and one for my own RSG software. But first, let's imagine you are making a long haul flight, you have a RT PRO license and  using the Learn destination! feature to learn you destination, EDDF for instance. after 7 hours flight, you end up with a Learner log file EDDF.txt that looks like this (put excel format for clarity)

Spoiler

----------------- truncated ------------------------

ABD    B744    TF-AMK    ABD625    JFK    FRA        1652367402
AEA    B738    EC-LQX    AEA51HD    MAD    FRA        1652364302
AEE    A20N    SX-NEA    AEE3FT            A36    1652367652
AEE    A20N    SX-NEA    AEE530    SKG    FRA        1652363402
AEE    A320    SX-DVT    AEE4FA            A34    165235456
AIC    B788    VT-ANQ    AIC121    DEL    FRA    B42    1652363452
ATL    C56X    D-CECH    ATL7H            swp420    1652367434
AUA    A320    OE-LBI    AUA1CG    VIE    FRA    A26    165236122
AUA    A320    OE-LZE    AUA1G    VIE    FRA        1652362302
BAW    A319    G-EUPP    BAW910N    LHR    FRA        1652367443
BAW    A319    G-EUPP    BAW911U    FRA    LHR    D1    1652367543
BAW    A320    G-EUYR    BAW909U    FRA    LHR    D5    165236734
BCS    A306    D-AEAO    BCS6260    FRA    MAD    F231    16523674345
BTI    BCS3    YL-ABF    BTI3EA    TMP    FRA    V113    1652367402
CAI    A320    LY-ELK    CAI61YF    AYT    FRA        1652364302
CAI    A320    LY-ELK    CAI7SR    FRA    AYT    E2    1652367652
CAO    B744    B-2409    CAO1032    FRA    PEK    V312    1652363402
CAO    B77L    B-2095    CAO1041    PVG    FRA    V312    165235456
CFE    E190    G-LCAC    CFE7GY    FRA    LCY    D4    1652363452
CFG    A332    D-AIYB    CFG7LC    FRA    PMI    B20    1652367434
CKK    B77L    B-2079    CKK211    PVG    FRA        165236122
CTN    A319    9A-CTN    CTN19H            B48    1652362302
----------------- truncated ------------------------

hmmm ...So, just before arrival to EDDF, we have real callsigns, gates numbers and time where each aircraft have landed while we were in the air during the last seven hours.

Even better, we can determine from the same information if an aircraft have landed and departed EDDF during that time. Example from log above:

BAW    A319    G-EUPP    BAW910N    LHR    FRA   D1     1652283905 (translates to 2022-05-11 15:45 UTC)
BAW    A319    G-EUPP    BAW911U    FRA    LHR    D1    1652287560 (translates to 2022-05-11 16:46 UTC)

Here, we can determine that G-EUPP has landed at EDDF, than departed  1 hour later from the same gate D1. 

I think you see where I'm going with this..

Part 1 : PSXT

Here is my suggestion: When it's time for PSXT to generate parked traffic in the destination airport, it would make sense to make it first check the learner log file for the dest airport , and make good use of the information in that file. Since the learner log is incremental (not erased after each learner session), then PSXT would compare the timestamps for each flight against a predefined or user defined threshold, so if we choose a threshold of 5 hours, PSXT would inject parked traffic (excluding already departed flights as explained above) that was logged during the last 5 hours only, and disregard the remaining older entries. Once done, PSXT can fill up the remaining gates with built-in randomness. This would give a more realistic situation at the airport, and would make better use of our RT PRO licenses. your thoughts? 

Part 2 : RealSnapGen (RSG)

You are aware that I've been working on RSG, a real snapshot generator for PSXT. One challenge is that not all airports  have gate information for arrival and departures, so RSG would use the same info from learner, to increase the accuracy of the generated snapshots).  RSG will be available for RT PRO subscriptions.(PM me if you want to discuss)

Thanks!

Amine.

Edited by vcaptain747

Interesting. You got me. As always you are full of ideas 😉

I have implemented the timestamp as 5th item, after the callsign. That makes it easier for me to find duplicates.

Just re-download 31.9.0.

Now I have to think about making use of it...

1 hour ago, kiek said:

You got me. As always you are full of ideas 😉

haha Thanks!  

1 hour ago, kiek said:

Just re-download 31.9.0.

Noted. Thank you!