Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Upgrade CPU seem pointless for MSFS but what about other sim

I have now this system

Haswell 4770K @4.5 GHz 16 Gb RAM 2200 MHz NVIDIA 2070 Super which I use in VR with a HP Reverb G2

My research so far make it doubtful that an upgrade to a 12600K for example would make things significantly better in MSFS. That because in MSFS I am reported to be almost always GPU limited and my GPU load is almost a solid line at 100% while CPU is less than 100%

But what about other sims like P3DV5 XP11 (and future XP12) DCS ? In P3DV5 my first CPU core is around 100% and the second very high although the other two cores show very low load.

13 hours ago, jfri said:

I have now this system

Haswell 4770K @4.5 GHz 16 Gb RAM 2200 MHz NVIDIA 2070 Super which I use in VR with a HP Reverb G2

My research so far make it doubtful that an upgrade to a 12600K for example would make things significantly better in MSFS. That because in MSFS I am reported to be almost always GPU limited and my GPU load is almost a solid line at 100% while CPU is less than 100%

But what about other sims like P3DV5 XP11 (and future XP12) DCS ? In P3DV5 my first CPU core is around 100% and the second very high although the other two cores show very low load.

Who told you that?  I did a very similar upgrade and the performance change was night and day.  In heavy city areas I almost tripled my fps.  Example old PC in NYC with ultra I was doing about 15 fps, new PC around 38-40.  In other rural areas I've averaged double the fps.

I went 4790K 4.4GHz to 12700K 4.7GHz.  Kept the gtx 1080ti.  Running 1440P.  I also upgraded to a DDR5 board with 32GB 5600mhz ram (previously ddr3 32gb 2400 mhz).

I'd say it's completely worth it.  I am GPU limited as well but it runs far far better than it used to.  I haven't installed XP11 on this PC and don't intend to - I will likely buy XP12 though.

Here's my post at the bottom of this forum:  (note I still had DDR4 parts in the photos but I am indeed on DDR5 same brand)

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/615454-my-2022-build-with-pics/#comments

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

9 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Who told you that?  I did a very similar upgrade and the performance change was night and day.  In heavy city areas I almost tripled my fps.  Example old PC in NYC with ultra I was doing about 15 fps, new PC around 38-40.  In other rural areas I've averaged double the fps.

I went 4790K 4.4GHz to 12700K 4.7GHz.  Kept the gtx 1080ti.  Running 1440P.  I also upgraded to a DDR5 board with 32GB 5600mhz ram (previously ddr3 32gb 2400 mhz).

I'd say it's completely worth it.  I am GPU limited as well but it runs far far better than it used to.  I haven't installed XP11 on this PC and don't intend to - I will likely buy XP12 though.

Here's my post at the bottom of this forum:  (note I still had DDR4 parts in the photos but I am indeed on DDR5 same brand)

You have a different GPU. The 1080ti does it not have 11 Gb VRAM ? Also my VR uses more pixels even though I have render scale at 50%. Also you could ask if 12700K vs 12600K would make a difference in MSFS ?

Were you GPU limited with your old PC as well ?

I'm just saying a cpu upgrade would be massive.  Your 2070 super is probably about the same power as my 1080 ti.  On my old system it was balanced for the most part...  sometimes cpu limited.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Very interesting given you have an older 1080Ti.  This is the same card I have which is a great card but not quite at the top of the performance line today.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 minute ago, MarkW said:

Very interesting given you have an older 1080Ti.  This is the same card I have which is a great card but not quite at the top of the performance line today.

Oh I'm sure a new 3080 ti (or 40xx) would be a huge help but im hoping the prices continue dropping.  And I just don't use my PC as much as I used to - I'm in the busiest time of my life these days hehe.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I was always a MSFS fan but was dissapointed with MSFS 2020. I know I made a mistake buying it within 6 days of launch as it was extremely buggy and the load times were terrible. I gave up and parked my yoke. Last month got X-Plane 11 (I had tried X-Plane 10 as well). Wonderful! Loads fast and doesn't take as much memory. I added freeware including Airport Environment, sky and weather enhancements, and UHD textures, as well as a payware 727-200 (I like old heavy metal). Anyway this is running on a 1-1/2 old mid-range Dell G5 and I consistently get framerates of 55-60 FPS (VSync enabled) with no stutter or flickering. IMHO, X-Plane is the way to go...Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Here are my graphics settings: (0% lowest possible setting to 100%, highest possible setting)

Visual Effects: 75%

Texture Quality: 75 %

Antialiasing: 60%

Anisotropic Filtering: 4x

World Objects: 50%

Reflection Detail: 60%

Draw parked aircraft and shadows

AI Traffic: Low

Computer specs:

CPU: Intel i7-10700F @  2.90 GHz (Stock) with Turboboost to over 4.0 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

HD: 1GB

Graphics card: GTX 2080 5 GB

2022 PCs suffer the largest drop in sales in the 1st quarterly decline in history. This could force prices down in the future. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 5/2/2022 at 3:03 PM, ryanbatc said:

I'm just saying a cpu upgrade would be massive.  Your 2070 super is probably about the same power as my 1080 ti.  On my old system it was balanced for the most part...  sometimes cpu limited.

That would lead to the question what kind of system to upgrade to? Would there also be a significant improvement between different modern CPU that are being sold now? Would it make sense to wait for the new CPU coming later ? AMD or Intel ?

On 5/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, jfri said:

That would lead to the question what kind of system to upgrade to? Would there also be a significant improvement between different modern CPU that are being sold now? Would it make sense to wait for the new CPU coming later ? AMD or Intel ?

You could also say would it make sense to upgrade your GPU now to a 30 series when Nvidia are about to announce next month the new 40 series, with a rumoured release July-Aug.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 40-Series GPUs Tipped to Debut in Early Q3 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

When NV announce this then present prices could drop on 30 series.

Raymond Fry.

5 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

You could also say would it make sense to upgrade your GPU now to a 30 series when Nvidia are about to announce next month the new 40 series, with a rumoured release July-Aug.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 40-Series GPUs Tipped to Debut in Early Q3 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

When NV announce this then present prices could drop on 30 series.

I think I remember from earlier new series releases that the prices do not drop on the old series. And the prices of a new GPU is far above what I can consider.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:00 PM, jfri said:

I think I remember from earlier new series releases that the prices do not drop on the old series. And the prices of a new GPU is far above what I can consider.

That was when miners bought any GPU they could get hands on, now miners have moved away from GPU`s that why you can buy 30 series in stock now at around MSRP. 6 months after the 20 series release my GPU was worth more than I paid for it.

Raymond Fry.

50 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

That was when miners bought any GPU they could get hands on, now miners have moved away from GPU`s that why you can buy 30 series in stock now at around MSRP. 6 months after the 20 series release my GPU was worth more than I paid for it.

Where I live I see prices around $1000 for a 3070Ti which is the first model to show significant more power than my 2070 Super. And still it only have 8 Gb VRAM.
If I want more than 8 Gb the card to select is 3080 or 3090. The latter has prices of over $2000. Then it is doubtful that I could use my old 750W PSU