Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Nuclear Diamond Batteries

On 5/1/2022 at 10:04 AM, TuFun said:

This maybe the answer to EV's to unlimited travel?!

I'm not sure how they estimate 28,000 years of power since the half life of Carbon 14 is 5,730 years. Does it mean it still has enough power in, say, a 90% depleted state?

Dugald Walker

So then tribes wandering in the Kalahari could use diamond powered batteries to run their Tesla satellite modems and gaming desktops. Then enjoy Microsoft Flight Simulator with photogrammetry on !

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

19 hours ago, birdguy said:

Neither are mine Martin.  They're pretty dingy as a matter of fact.  But I am terrified of dentists.  I won't go to one unless I have a tooth that is hurting me more than the dentist is going to hurt me.  I haven't visited a dentist in over a decade.  I am missing three teeth but all the rest are still original equipment.

Noel

I've just got back from the dentist a few moments ago and have a numb face, Crown fitted. I'll wait until its settled down and get them cleaned. I'm not to fond eoither to be honest,  the only thing that was uncomfortable though was the injections in the gum. 

19 hours ago, birdguy said:

But I often wonder about all the emf one absorbs while standing on the street corner of any modern city today.

Research has been done, its not an issue. The energy in those fields is too low. 

On 5/2/2022 at 3:27 PM, TuFun said:

Sulfur batteries...

1000 miles range if installed in a Tesla, and cheaper too. Wow! 

1000 miles is certainly more than I would drive in one day, but it would make EV's a lot more practical to own if the batteries were far less expensive and had such long ranges.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 hours ago, stans said:

1000 miles is certainly more than I would drive in one day

I once drove 1300 miles stopping only for gasoline fillups.  I had been visiting my brother in California and I had a sudden emergency back home in Denver.  I was much younger then.

Still, electric cars have their place and it would make good sense for me to have one given I drive less than a thousand miles a year anymore.  But there are no charging stations yet in Roswell or anyplace around here.  Our dealers have no electric cars for sale.  Although one of our Toyota Dealer salesman told me they are soon going to install one on their lot.  But it will only be for the cars they sell.

But even with the high cost of gasoline here (nosing up to 4.00 a gallon) it's not a significant cost for my hybrid since I only fill to two or perhaps three times a year with a 12 gallon tank.  That comes out to 144.00 a year at most.  Not a budget buster.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

22 hours ago, birdguy said:

I once drove 1300 miles stopping only for gasoline fillups.  I had been visiting my brother in California and I had a sudden emergency back home in Denver.  I was much younger then.

Still, electric cars have their place and it would make good sense for me to have one given I drive less than a thousand miles a year anymore.  But there are no charging stations yet in Roswell or anyplace around here.  Our dealers have no electric cars for sale.  Although one of our Toyota Dealer salesman told me they are soon going to install one on their lot.  But it will only be for the cars they sell.

But even with the high cost of gasoline here (nosing up to 4.00 a gallon) it's not a significant cost for my hybrid since I only fill to two or perhaps three times a year with a 12 gallon tank.  That comes out to 144.00 a year at most.  Not a budget buster.

Noel

Gasoline here peaked at $4.16/9 per gallon, went down to $3.92, now back to $4.09 and climbing.  Our driving tends to be trips of less than 30 miles round-trip.  My work driving is around 10 miles round-trip.  Maybe once a year we go on vacation and drive to a destination that is 300 to 350 miles away.  Electric vehicle batteries would need a good degree of thermal durability in my part of Virginia.  Our summer temperatures can reach 100F and our winter temperatures can dip into the single digits.  These extremes typically occur only a few days out of the year, but when you have to go to work, the vehicle must be reliable.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

Our summer temperatures can reach 100F and our winter temperatures can dip into the single digits

Our summer temperatures average in the mid 90s and often get over 110F, In the winter we average in the mid 30s to the mid 40s but many times get down into the 20s and teens and sometimes single digits.

There may be geographical areas where electric car batteries, as they are now, might not be a good idea.

If you've got to get up in the morning to go to work and it's 15F outside how well will it work?  How do high and low temperatures affect range?  One of our former favorite vacation spots was Death Valley where it can reach 130F in the afternoon.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, birdguy said:

I once drove 1300 miles stopping only for gasoline fillups.

Gas, food, urinating. A stop is a stop, so that's not non-stop. Safety experts would say your stops should have been extended, for your own safety and the safety of others. As we've debated before. 

2 hours ago, stans said:

Electric vehicle batteries would need a good degree of thermal durability in my part of Virginia.  Our summer temperatures can reach 100F and our winter temperatures can dip into the single digits.  These extremes typically occur only a few days out of the year, but when you have to go to work, the vehicle must be reliable.

Well, they are durable. Its just that range is dependant on temperature. They don't stop working. Max range is around 20C. At 100F you lose about 10% range. At 9F you lose something like 40%. So its very cold condition that are the main range sapping factor.

If you've got something like a Tesla with a big pack, and you do a long trip at -12C then you can expect 40% less range.

Its not something that will be an issue much longer, as Toyota have their solid state battery ready now. In new Prius first. Full EV is driving the roads now in testing and doing great. Solid state batteries have greater range and charge very fast. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Gas, food, urinating. A stop is a stop, so that's not non-stop. Safety experts would say your stops should have been extended, for your own safety and the safety of others. As we've debated before. 

A gas stop...5 or 10 minutes.  I bought a snack during the two gas stops.  A milk bottle can suffice for urinating.  I know what safety experts say.  But sometimes you have to make a judgement call that overrides the experts and the regulations.  I got awarded my first Air Force Commendation Medal for breaking safety regulations.

Noel 

9 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Its not something that will be an issue much longer, as Toyota have their solid state battery ready now. In new Prius first. Full EV is driving the roads now in testing and doing great. Solid state batteries have greater range and charge very fast. 

I'm anxious to see it.  It will all depend on cost and how much I can get for my current Pius in a trade and what I think of it once I get inside and drive one.  I have to say I'm very happy with my current Prius and it's paid for.  It only has 2200 miles on it.  It would take something very spectacular to wean me away from it.  I

Noel

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

I know what safety experts say.  But sometimes you have to make a judgement call that overrides the experts and the regulations

Not good, not good at all. Not safe for you in terms of health, accident risk, and not safe for others.

It's actually irresponsible. 😟

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Not good, not good at all. Not safe for you in terms of health, accident risk, and not safe for others.

It's actually irresponsible.

Maybe you don't, but most of us live in an imperfect world.  Sometimes circumstances dictate behavior that requires some risk taking, not only for yourself but for others too.  You've lived a charmed life if you have never had to take a chance Martin.  Sometimes not only for yourself but for others you might be responsible for too.  

Most regulations and laws and commonsense cover the routine and ordinary.  But sometimes regulations and laws either don't apply or have to be set aside.  If you've never been faced with such a circumstance consider yourself lucky.

In my last reply I mentioned that I got my first Air Force Commendation medal for breaking safety regulations.  Do you think I would have been awarded that medal if what I did was irresponsible? 

But have it your way.  Call me irresponsible if you wish even though you don't know what the circumstances were.  In any case isn't 'Call Me Irresponsible' the name of a song?

Noel

41 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Maybe you don't, but most of us live in an imperfect world.  Sometimes circumstances dictate behavior that requires some risk taking, not only for yourself but for others too.  You've lived a charmed life if you have never had to take a chance Martin

Well yes, but driving a huge 1000 miles without breaks isn't necessary and is without doubt an endeavour that generates tiredness, and tiredness kills.

The point is that you did have a choice. Two 15 minute breaks on your 1000 mile journey wouldn't have been an issue. I cant think of naything that would necestase a race over 1000 miles that precluded any breaks whatsoever.  

46 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Most regulations and laws and commonsense cover the routine and ordinary.  But sometimes regulations and laws either don't apply or have to be set aside.  If you've never been faced with such a circumstance consider yourself lucky.

Well certainly if someone is having a heart attack you would be forgiven for, for example, speeding, but I don't see anything that would preclude a break over a 1000 mile journey. I'm sure it wasn't "The Cannonball Run". 

49 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Call me irresponsible if you wish even though you don't know what the circumstances were.

What was the circumstance? 

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

What was the circumstance? 

I had been visiting my brother in California and I had a sudden emergency back home in Denver. 

Noel did state the circumstance.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator