Sign in to follow this  
tup61

GTN750 confusion (in preparation for the Milviz C130)

2 hours ago, Ixoye said:

You can plan a flight with Little Navmap and use Navigraph charts with PMS, and what I understand you can only use the TDS in US to take full advantage of it.

Everything data-related works in TDS except charts, outside of North America.  The navdata works fine (but isn't updated with Navigraph like PMS).

@tup61

As a real world pilot I prefer the TDS. 

However, I understand that some simmers (think) they absolutely require updated Navdata.  In this case PMS is basically the only option.  As someone who lives in the US and sees new airacs go out - I know that having updated navdata in flightsim isn't very important to me - also reading a chart on either the TDS or PMS GTN isn't very fun - the screen is so tiny.  I canceled my Navigraph sub but when I had it I only put charts up on my second monitor or tablet, and used the GTN without chart overlay.  PMS does have a METAR function, which again to me, isn't very useful as sometimes the main sim's weather doesn't even match the real METAR...so another "meh" for me.  PMS does have crossfill - a nice feature and one of the positives of using PMS.  TDS does not have this (yet hehe).  TDS navdata is only updated when the Garmin GTN 750Xi trainer is updated (approx every 6-12 months).

TDS has some features that are important to me - airspace depiction is exactly like the real world - so whether you're avoiding it while simming VFR or using it to find a freq while IFR - it's shown very accurately.  Flight plans and instrument approach loading (IAP) is identical to real world - and this is the biggest reason I prefer TDS - there's no work arounds for MSFS's dilapidated nav management... everything simply works.  Rubber band flight planning works (scrolling the map and adding fixes/airports to a flight plan), Smart Glide works (for emergency landings), vnav alt selection arc shows up.  As far as LNM goes - I believe there is a way to load a flight in LNM and import it into the TDS GTN Xi.  Might have to google it though as I don't use LNM.  

That pretty much explains the feature set for both.  Pricing must be considered as well.  PMS has a free option - maybe try that first and see if you like it.  The free option lacks some things like Navigraph chart support, vnav calcuation, and airways etc (see the differences on their site).  The paid lifetime cost for the PMS Premium is about 80 USD, but not including the roughly 80 USD you will spend annually, on a Navigraph ultimate subscription (to get charts).  TDS is a one time cost of about 50 USD.

• Like 6

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello,

Below is the official answer from TDS Sim Software on the TDS GTNXi.

We would like to thank everybody who has responded to this thread. Our goal is to be open to ideas and constructive criticism, as we view this as the best solution to further improve our products as well as ourselves.

We have taken note of all the features and design methodology that some customers may desire and while we can't promise anything solid due to the nature of our product, we can assure you that we are never saying no to any of the requested features. Out desire with the TDS GTNXi is to continually improve it with new and exciting features, what we offer now is just the beginning for this project and the time stands testament from where we have taken it when first released to the feature that that we are able to offer now!

On top of offering a great GPS add-on for MSFS, we view tech support just as important, so all our potential customers can be assured that we will offer the best possible tech support so all our customers can fully enjoy the purchased product!

This is what we offer to the MSFS community, everybody is free to choose whatever works best for them, we just don't want to over-promise and fail, but rather to deliver first. For anybody that has put their trust on us, we sincerely thank you and for all potential customers we can assure you that placing your trust in us is a decision which will make you happy!

• Like 11

Because it uses the Garmin trainer, are there any compatibility issues with the P3D Reality XP GTN which also uses v6.62.x of the trainer with cycle 1909?

I still fly P3D and use the RXP 750 there.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

19 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

Because it uses the Garmin trainer, are there any compatibility issues with the P3D Reality XP GTN which also uses v6.62.x of the trainer with cycle 1909?

I still fly P3D and use the RXP 750 there.

You can use a newer database 2104 with both the old GTN V6.62.x and also the new GTNXi PC Trainer V20.20.13(10). No, there aren't any compatibility issues using both at the same time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I believe there is a way to load a flight in LNM and import it into the TDS GTN Xi.  Might have to google it though as I don't use LNM. 

For my group flights, I load a flightplan into LNM and export it in gfp format (Multi export).

The gpf flightplans can be loaded into the GTNXi   (FPL / Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import).

Bert

I got the 1 year plan of the PMS 750. It works very well. The other 750 reminds me of the Flight 1 GTN I had in P3D, which had some issues that I didn't like, and I hated updating the Garmin Trainer too. The PMS 750 works very well, and I might get the lifetime subscription next year. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

For my group flights, I load a flightplan into LNM and export it in gfp format (Multi export).

The gpf flightplans can be loaded into the GTNXi   (FPL / Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import).

Thanks for that. My folder tree is GTNXi / FPL. Are the "Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import" folders created automatically or do I have to do that myself. I do not use LNM, Simbrief for now, maybe I should?

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

4 minutes ago, TomCYYZ said:

Thanks for that. My folder tree is GTNXi / FPL. Are the "Menu / Catalog / Menu / Import" folders created automatically or do I have to do that myself. I do not use LNM, Simbrief for now, maybe I should?

That is not a folder structure, but a sequence of GTN commands.. 😉

In LNM, you can set the target directory in the Multiexport Options panel, and LNM will remember the location.  Suggest "repurposing" the F1 or RXP GTN lines for the TDS NXi.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is not a folder structure, but a sequence of GTN commands.. 😉

Gotcha, Thanks!

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker