Sign in to follow this  
JSkorna

Is FSX Running DX10 Right Now ?

Guest TonyPiech

I'm contemplating purchasing a new computer; a Dell XPS 710 with VISTA Ultimate as the OS, having a QuadCore Intel processor (8MB L2 cache 2.4 GHz) with a 768Mb nVidia 8800 GTX graphic card. This machine should be capable to run DX10.My question is, will it run DX10 when I load FSX on this computer computer with the next 2 weeks? Should I anticipate a noticeable difference in graphic quality over my present WinXP computer having 2Gig of RAM running an ATI 256MB Raedon 9800XT. If not, when will DX10 be operational?

No, FSX won't use DX10 until the DX10-specific patch is released sometime later this year (don't look for it soon).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest TonyPiech

Doug, thanks for the quick reply. Looks as though I'll forego making that purchase for now; in all probability that new computer will cost somewhat less or have some different hardware available if and when DX10 becomes operational.

Also as a side note, early speculation was that all DX10 cards would be very expensive, at least 500 dollars or more. A quick search over at newegg.com shows many DX10 cards in the 75-100 dollar range. I have a ATI X600 PCIe card (DX9), and am thinking about upgrading my card in the near future. I wonder if there is any reason not to get a DX10 card (in 75-150 dollar range), instead of a DX9, even though I will be running WinXp Pro with it for a while. The main reason I am thinking of upgrading video card, is so I can run AF and AA higher in FSX. ATI X600 will only support about 2x, then everything slows down too much if higher. Sorry if this should be in the HW Forum.Flt300ZDell Pentium D 3.0Ghz1.5GHZ DDR2 533 Memory160GB SATA 30/Gb/s19" Dell FP1907 MonitorATI X600 Graphics

I've made the same decision Tony. I don't see any benefit in building a new FSX box right now. The DX10 patch probably won't be out until late this year and there is much to sort out regarding upcoming hardware in the next 6-12 months. I have finally gotten FSX to run tolerably well on my old machine and that's good enough for me, at least for now. Besides, DX10 requires Vista and I can't use that OS on my "main" machine for a variety of reasons. So, I'll need to build a dedicated box to run FSX/Vista/DX10 but I won't even look at that until MS gets the Vista situation sorted out (at least the first service pack) and ACES issues the DX10 patch for FSX.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>> I wonder how good they are?Iith good adapters costing around EUR 300 and well above (and those are the ones you need for FS), I think it's pretty easy to imagine what you'll get for such extremely cheap prices...Andreas

>>>Check out:>http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....And&Pagesize=50>>There are 5 or 6 PCIe DX10 cards listed in the 75-100 dollar>price range. I wonder how good they are?>>Flt300zAll DX10 "capable" cards listed are cards from the nVidia 8000 line.DX10 will not boost your framerate but should offer more eyecandy. However, in order to run FSX at a decent framerate with a decent scenery setting, i would not by anything under an 8600 (and even then...).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Wow, I am glad I read this post. I thouht SP1 allowed FSX to run with DX10. I too am looking for the Dell 720 computer ($6000) with Vista. Like you, I wont take the plunge until FSX take advantage of DX10 and until Level D releases the 767 for FSX. Actually, I am getting tired of searching the boards for a morsel of info regarding these forever-taking updates. I didn't even know SP1 was released until today.

Paul Gugliotta

The old adage that you-get-what-you-pay-for is never more true than when buying video cards.Doug