Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Trek strange new Worlds. The reviews are in.

And I can see myself hanging out with this show, and these people. In Star Trek Discovery, Burnham word not allowed me off immediately, and I never recovered.

And as for Picard.....

Finally, something that actually feels like Star Trek, though in this first episode everybody talks kind of fast. I suspect because they were trying to fit so much plot into less than an hour.

First time I have felt optimistic about Trek in years.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-first-reviews/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This may well be my catalyst to subscribe to Paramount+.

Why is it though Pike's Enterprise is more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise (in theory a newer model)?  It's like comparing a De Tomaso Pantera to a Yugo or a Skoda! 🤣

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Burnham word not allowed me off immediately, and I never recovered.

You and many others. 

It will be a few months before we Brits get STSNW. Paramount + isn't here yet.  22nd June. 🤬

Edited by martin-w

Yeah, when I saw the trailer for this a while back I almost couldn't believe it.

I really hope that the writing and casting will be interesting and entertaining rather than focused on social engineering and pushing this or that agenda.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

(Crew interactions) SPOILERS!!!!!! 

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

10 hours ago, martin-w said:

You and many others. 

It will be a few months before we Brits get STSNW. Paramount + isn't here yet.  22nd June. 🤬

Yes not available in New Zealand either and not even scheduled to be launched in New Zealand, could be years before I get to see it 😢

Matthew Kane

7 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes not available in New Zealand either and not even scheduled to be launched in New Zealand, could be years before I get to see it 😢

Watched the first episode on TVNZ OnDemand last night.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2022 at 1:01 PM, HiFlyer said:

And as for Picard.....

You'll be happy to know that a certain doctor, who you aren't fond of, isn't in S3 👍

14 hours ago, toprob said:

Watched the first episode on TVNZ OnDemand last night.

Oh good at least someone is purchasing the broadcast rights, I'll check it out

Matthew Kane

23 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

(Crew interactions) SPOILERS!!!!!! 

Why do I have the urge to turn my living room into that bridge set?

On 5/5/2022 at 8:43 AM, n4gix said:

Why is it though Pike's Enterprise is more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise (in theory a newer model)?  It's like comparing a De Tomaso Pantera to a Yugo or a Skoda!

This is why I find "prequels" based on older TV shows and movies to be difficult to enjoy.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The latest Fisher Price activity set is more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise from the 1960s, so they don't have much choice.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

24 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The latest Fisher Price activity set is more advanced than Kirk's Enterprise from the 1960s, so they don't have much choice.

I guess its more believable though, than the primitive user interface's we see in the original series. It just wouldn't work if we used the same user interfaces in a series today. We would be all saying "hang on a minute, we have better screens and input methods now. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I guess its more believable though, than the primitive user interface's we see in the original series. It just wouldn't work if we used the same user interfaces in a series today. We would be all saying "hang on a minute, we have better screens and input methods now. 

Oh, I don't know.

I think things could have been done that people would accept.

Unfortunately, JJ Abrams and co decided that Star Trek takes place in the middle of particularly blingy Apple stores, and its hard to come back from that all of that egregiously overengineered eye-candy to something a bit more subtle and functional.....

(The bridges on the new ships are so huge in fact, that I think in real life you would have to pretty much yell to be heard across the room. Also you could probably comfortably play baseball in those spaces, which is borderline ridiculous.)

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

They still haven't installed any seatbelts or other form of restraints!  🙄

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator