Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Trek strange new Worlds. The reviews are in.

Politics gets threads locked.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

not.

I essentially have to see it as "What would happen if somebody completely different and with almost entirely different sensibilities and priorities had written foundation?"

As I said, they are trying to recreate books that span hundreds of years  in the format of a TV series. Don't think they could have done it any other way than they have.

46 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Especially Tom baker and David tenant.

I just about remember right back to the original Doc Who in black and white. Scary stuff for a kid. Some of the Tom Baker stuff was okay but unfortunately much of the Doctor Who dialogue is utterly amateurish and seems to be directed by an word not allowed. I may be going over the top but I see it as an embarrassment and not reminiscent of what true British talent can do.

There was a film made in the US that was better, but that was it, just one. I see it as something with enormous potential screaming at the top of its voice to be unleashed. Who knows, maybe one day...

15 minutes ago, martin-w said:

As I said, they are trying to recreate books that span hundreds of years  in the format of a TV series. Don't think they could have done it any other way than they have.

I don't really accept that as an excuse. I remember when series could actually take the time to tell multigenerational dramas, (like roots, for instance) but now, everything is so compressed that something like Star Trek can, with a straight face, call 10 episodes (or even less!) a "season".

The original Star Treks first "season" spanned 29 episodes.

If shows don't want to take the time to develop their stories properly, that's on them.

Foundations "season" was ten episodes....

Wheel of times first "Season" was eight episodes.... To me, that's not the most auspicious beginning to a ten-plus book series.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The Foundation books are very complex though. 

I'll judge it when it's over, not after just one season.

All I can say is that your subjective opinion is different to my subjective opinion. 😺

Edited by martin-w

31 minutes ago, martin-w said:

The Foundation books are very complex though. 

I'll judge it when it's over, not after just one season.

All I can say is that your subjective opinion is different to my subjective opinion. 😺

Two of the most oft-used examples of generally well done adaptations of large novels to the television format were/are Game of thrones and The Expanse.

Both of which took the time to slowly build their characters and universes through years-long arcs.

Its generally acknowledged by many that GOT really only faltered badly when they rushed to conclude the series, throwing away, wasting or badly contorting all they had taken such time to build up previously.

I have seen fans of the Expanse express much relief that in the end, the series did (not quite) go that route, and took most of the time needed to finish properly.

Devons rig

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Kind of what suddenly happened with the Wheel of Time, when the original author died and a replacement did his (very) best to finish out the series, but inevitably changed almost completely many of the unique dynamics that had held the whole thing together so long.

I have the entire series of Wheel of Time in the dead-tree version. I have to agree that the replacement just did not have the "voice" of the original.  I also agree that the ending is nothing like I had imagined and left more questions than answers...

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I don't really accept that as an excuse. I remember when series could actually take the time to tell multigenerational dramas, (like roots, for instance) but now, everything is so compressed that something like Star Trek can, with a straight face, call 10 episodes (or even less!) a "season".

The original Star Treks first "season" spanned 29 episodes.

If shows don't want to take the time to develop their stories properly, that's on them.

Foundations "season" was ten episodes....

Wheel of times first "Season" was eight episodes.... To me, that's not the most auspicious beginning to a ten-plus book series.

A lot of shows are doing that now, that is, only making 8-13 episodes a season.

My guess is that it's about money.  They don't want to invest a lot more money making 24-26 episodes only for the show to end up being canceled due to low viewership.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

There was a film made in the US that was better, but that was it, just one.

A Doctor Who film?  What's the title?

When I was a teenager me and a friend really got into Doctor Who for about a year or so.  Our local public broadcasting station would run entire episodes, some several hours in length, every weekend.  I started watching the show in its 4th season, I believe.  The Doctor had big curly hair.  Then watched the next season which was the guy who wore the Cricket suit.  I don't remember their names.

Now *that* was a "cheesy" show!  I still remember UNIT and the Daleks.

Dave

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Finally got to see the first episode last night, it met expectations. I especially liked that classic Enterprise Dry Dock scene, that scene never gets tiring as it has been done countless times now, the 13 year old inside me was smiling. This looks like the beginning of another great adventure 

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

5 hours ago, dave2013 said:

A Doctor Who film?  What's the title?

• Like 1

Devons rig

The glory days of Doctor Who were when Tom Baker was the doctor. Yes, the sets were low budget, but I really enjoyed the show back then. Peter Davison was also good, but he had a tough act to follow. Sadly, it went downhill after that. David Tennant was the best of the new bunch, but I started getting bored with it towards the end of Matt Smith's tenancy, and stopped watching. From the little I have seen of the latest episodes with Jodie Whittaker, the quality seems to have fallen off a cliff. Far too many "assistants", and clearly made for a "whizz bang console gamer" audience.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Now *that* was a "cheesy" show!  I still remember UNIT and the Daleks.

What always made me smile was the leader of the Daleks, his name was Davros. Well Davros had a toggle switch on his console... a self destruct switch. 🤣 All you needed to do to kill Davros was flip the switch on his console. It was there for all to access. Davros wasn't smart. 

11 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Finally got to see the first episode last night, it met expectations. I especially liked that classic Enterprise Dry Dock scene, that scene never gets tiring as it has been done countless times now, the 13 year old inside me was smiling. This looks like the beginning of another great adventure 

I'm jealous Mathew, very jealous. 😑 Available in the land of the long white cloud but not in British Isles. Grrr!

NZ is a beautiful place by the way. My ex wife's dad was from NZ. I remember flying from Wellington to Auckland to catch the plane home in a 146 and being profoundly impacted by the amazing scenery. Not to mention driving form Auckland to Wellington (Lower Hutt) and finding ourselves above the clouds. Very memorable. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

Well, I watched the first episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds last night.

I have to say it was enjoyable and I will continue watching the series.

I thought the scenes depicting wind turbines, from what would by that time be 250 year old ancient technology, was unrealistic.  I understand why the producers just couldn't resist including them, though.

Overall good show so far.

Dave

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

I thought the scenes depicting wind turbines, from what would by that time be 250 year old ancient technology, was unrealistic.  I understand why the producers just couldn't resist including them, though.

I'm not that concerned. After all, its the 21st century right now, and ancient Dutch windmills are still picturesquely charging right along. And I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to do so for centuries to come. (assuming humanity survives)

03262017_de+Onrust_01713924.jpg

• Upvote 1

Devons rig