Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Star Trek strange new Worlds. The reviews are in.

17 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I thought the scenes depicting wind turbines, from what would by that time be 250 year old ancient technology, was unrealistic

Never judge a technology by the outside appearance. All manner of fancy tech is inside those guys. 👍

On 5/11/2022 at 12:35 AM, martin-w said:

I'm jealous Mathew, very jealous. 😑 Available in the land of the long white cloud but not in British Isles. Grrr!

NZ is a beautiful place by the way. My ex wife's dad was from NZ. I remember flying from Wellington to Auckland to catch the plane home in a 146 and being profoundly impacted by the amazing scenery. Not to mention driving form Auckland to Wellington (Lower Hutt) and finding ourselves above the clouds. Very memorable. 

My mother and father divorced and my new mother's partner was from Guernsey, and she was the most awesome person I have ever known, so yes some day I will wander into Guernsey because without saying on here... (I've already heard too many stories)....

Just keep being you 😎

Matthew Kane

24 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

mother's partner was from Guernsey, and she was the most awesome person I have ever known

That's why I'm awesome then! 😲 Oh hang on... I'm from the UK. Drat! 😒

Joking aside, people from Guernsey are friendlier than in the UK. Polite, not as rude, more laid back. 

By the way, so you know, Rotorua is a bit smelly Mathew. Although one of my ex wife's grandmothers friends, who lived on the banks of the lake, did cook us some very nice vegetables, cooked with volcanic steam from a valve in the garden. A first for me. 

Edited by martin-w

Something to look forward to.......although it may be a while for the UK.

One of my gripes about the original and subsequent series are the Klingons. Never could get my head round how a species so aggressive and stupid evolved beyond cave dwelling. Just doesn't scan. 

Edited by GaryK

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Finally!

How many times over the decades have we seen one Federation Starship Captain after another yell evasive maneuvers! Go to Kirk epsilon-delta evasive! Go to Riker 12 maneuver, initiate!

Only to eventually cut to a shot of the ship pretty much sitting there like a big floating rubber ducky.

At last we see a federation ship looking like it's capable of getting out of its own way.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, GaryK said:

One of my gripes about the original and subsequent series are the Klingons. Never could get my head round how a species so aggressive and stupid evolved beyond cave dwelling. Just doesn't scan. 

I recall the Klingons were said to have obtained their advanced tech by stealing it from other races.

18 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I recall the Klingons were said to have obtained their advanced tech by stealing it from other races.

Wasn’t that the Pakleds?

IMDB rates Strange New Worlds, all episodes, as 8.3. Which is extremely high.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12330364/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

12 hours ago, Mike A said:

Wasn’t that the Pakleds?

Klingons too I recall. I recall warp drive was the spoils of war. And cloaking device was stolen from the Romulans. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Klingons too I recall. I recall warp drive was the spoils of war. And cloaking device was stolen from the Romulans. 

The Klingons got it from trading with the Romulans when they had an alliance.

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

What's "canon" and what is not, has become a pretty confusing (and changing) mixture over the decades....

I remember reading a book where the Klingons apparently had a robust scientific community, and unbeknownst to the federation, were actually years ahead, technologically.

The Final Reflection is a 1984 novel in the Star Trek Expanded Universe, written by John M. Ford.

In the prologue, Captain Kirk notices odd behaviour in his crew returning from shore leave. When he asks Dr McCoy for an explanation, McCoy hands him a book...

The Final Reflection is a historical novel, recounting events of forty years earlier, at a time of crisis for the Federation. Its hero is a bold and intelligent officer who rises from obscure origins to captain a starship, and finds himself the right man at the right time to save the Federation from destruction.

His name is Krenn, and he is a Klingon.

69803f2a42d9ce138cf71b10a8faaddc.jpg

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, goates said:

The Klingons got it from trading with the Romulans when they had an alliance.

Hmm, I prefer to believe the dastardly Klingons took what they wanted because they are violent and evil and stuff. 😁

20 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Hmm, I prefer to believe the dastardly Klingons took what they wanted because they are violent and evil and stuff. 😁

Read the reviews and see a picture of a Star Trek that might have been...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FC0OH2/ref=dbs_a_def_awm_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i4

Almost certainly the best Star Trek novel ever written, but also a very good sci-fi novel in its own right.
First off, this is a very good book, with excellent action, compelling characters and good plot.
But second, this is a look at the Klingons, and at the entire Star Trek setting, as it might have been if it had been written with a great deal less cliche and a good deal more sophistication than what we actually wound up getting.
John M. Ford defined the Klingons with a degree of plausibility and verisimilitude that was sadly lacking when, in the late 1980s, the Klingons were "re-imaged" for the Next Generation TV series. The entire Star Trek canon would have been a far more interesting place if Ford's vision had been adopted by Paramount and Roddenberry, in place of the much more simplistic and implausible version of Klingons that Next Generation wound up using.

Devons rig

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Series Premiere | Full Episode

Devons rig

On 5/14/2022 at 10:33 AM, HiFlyer said:

What's "canon" and what is not, has become a pretty confusing (and changing) mixture over the decades....

I remember reading a book where the Klingons apparently had a robust scientific community, and unbeknownst to the federation, were actually years ahead, technologically.

69803f2a42d9ce138cf71b10a8faaddc.jpg

Great book! Available for Kindle.