Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Graphics oddities and menu bar issue after some time

Hi mates,

I have P3D 4.5 but by nostalgia and love of the RealAir Scout, FlyTampa Grenadines and FSAddon Tongass Fjords X, I have re-installed FSX and do still enjoy bush flying in the sim 🙂

The issue I have is that after some flying time or after having used several times the menu, it does not display anymore (but still working with keyboard shortcuts, eg. CTRL+C) OR there is a black screen (but no Crash To Desktop).
And when the menu works and I try to load another aircraft or airport, I get some graphics oddities (panel or scenery, see screenshot below).

My system: Windows 10, i5 4670k 4.3 Ghz, GTX 1080, RAM 32 Gb.

I have read the forum, searched on Gooogle and already tried:
- Installed the sim on C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
- Acceleration installed
- Main sim and Acceleration registered successfully thanks to the 'PartMgr' trick
- Installed latest NVIDIA drivers
- Run As Admin
- Run in compatibility mode Windows 7, Vista, etc.
- Remove fsx folder from antivirus scanning
- DX10 Preview ticked and unticked
- Fullscreen/Windowed
- ALT+ENTER
- Delete/Rebuild FSX.cfg
- Installed UIAutomationCore.dll in the root of FSX folder

It is a fresh install and the only addons I have are: 
RealAir Scout, FlyTampa Grenadines and FSAddon Tongass Fjords X, FSUIPC, ChasePlane

I don't know what else I can do? Any help would be much appreciated.

spacer.png

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

Could your graphics card be overheating? I've seen some very odd graphics behavior from a card that lost it's cooling fan.

Edited by hs118
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the suggestion. In FSX, I don't hear the fan while in other recent games I play the fan screams like crazy and I have no issue.

• Upvote 1

- TONY -

My first thought is that the video card is too hot and not responding correctly.  FSX relies mostly upon the CPU for image rendering, it makes minimal use of the graphics card unless you set up FSX and the card to increase the amount of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.  64-bit versions of P3D make much greater use of the video card, so video card stress and heat can be an issue.  Make sure the card's cooling fins and fan are free of dust.  You might want to run a temperature monitor to see if there is an overheating issue when the problem occurs.   Second thought is that it is a video card driver compatibility issue. 

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Many thanks stans for your thoughts. The heating of the video card or CPU is not an issue. I've done a spring cleaning (dust inside the PC) 2 weeks ago. Additionally, right after the graphic issue, if I close FSX and relaunch immediately all is fine again.
I thought about the version of the driver too (latest version at this time). I fear that if I take an old driver it messes up recent games or software. And also which version to chose? Below are 2 new screenshots of the graphic oddities, but again it happens only after a time spent in the sim AND if I use the FS menu. If I don't use the FS menu, I can fly 1.5, probably more without issue. Maybe I will have to live with that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

- TONY -

Has FSX always done this on your current computer or is this a new issue?

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks stans et al. I'll see in the long run but it seems that adding HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section of FSX.cfg does the job.

- TONY -

19 hours ago, Simicro said:

Thanks stans et al. I'll see in the long run but it seems that adding HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section of FSX.cfg does the job.

If you are running boxed edition of FSX then yes you need to add the fix however i believe steam edition this is not needed

• Like 1

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

HIGHMEMFIX=1 is for boxed versions of FSX, the Steam Edition requires none of these tweaks or cfg file modifications.

• Like 1

Indeed I have the FSX box version. And I now remember that I added HIGHMEMFIX=1 the last time I installed FSX, that is circa 2013 😉

• Upvote 2

- TONY -