Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Good guide on NVidia / MSFS settings

1 hour ago, brucets said:

I don't have MSFS 2020 yet, but I saved this video for future reference. Will be very helpful! Thanks! Seems like the MSFS UI is way more complicated than FSX!

Bruce

The first thing you will want to do is remove the external gauges.

The second thing is visit flightsim.to

The third thing, download the addon linker by @Bad_T

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, JasonPC said:

Most of these settings are already set to this by default but there are a couple differences. One thing I noticed is that the nvidia control panel handles anisotropic filtering better than the sim. I was seeing blurry textures with the highest filtering setting but no more since I forced it in the control panel.

Do you have all the other texture settings high/ultra in MSFS?  I use the MSFS built in Anisotropic filtering and it looks great.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

The video, whilst repeating earlier advice is interesting, but what works on one system can be very different on another.  e.g. I recently upgraded from a 24 inch 1080 monitor to a 32 inch 2k monitor and found after a lot of trial and error had to apply very different settings.  A lot will also depend how strong your hardware is and whether MSFS is CPU or GPU limited.

My advice would be start with default settings in both GPU and sim software and work your way up until you start to encounter instability, then back off a little.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

11 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Sorry but 99% was snake oil, or very old news, the only thing I learned was about clamp. I will try that and turn that on. That was intresting.

I recently installed an RTX 3080 12GB and just simply updated the driver, so this was of interest to me.  In the video linked at the start of this topic, which I will refer to as the first video, he points to another performance related video, an is touting a 30%+ performance gain. I will refer to it as the second video.  I have linked it below.

I checked some performance in MSFS at various spots at some airports that vary by complexity, and did so in three different aircraft varying in depth/complexity, all in Clear weather and same date/time.  Then I went through his two videos and replicated his guidance, step by step, first completing steps in the second video, the video I have linked below. That because it features a clean wipe of any existing driver and nVidia apps, followed by a pristine and "naked" driver installation with no nVidia apps touching the system other than nVidia Control Panel.  That process as a fresh installation resets nVidia Control Panel to it's default settings, which would replace those customized settings he provides in the first video. 

I assumed voiding my system of nVidia "bloatware" would make a difference.  Sadly, my before and after showed very little difference.  Certainly and without question (love to be redundant) I did not see anything remotely like performance improvement claims for the nVidia specific process in the second video.  My system specs are below in my message footer.  I do expect the nVidia Control Panel settings improved my MSFS, but I did all of it at once.  Both videos.

For me it was an interesting but non productive two-and-a-half hours.  I will likely reinstall Geforce Experience as it what I have been using to capture screen shots.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Do you have all the other texture settings high/ultra in MSFS?  I use the MSFS built in Anisotropic filtering and it looks great.

Yes everything on ultra and had blurries especially in the taxiway at EGKK. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

Jose

Thanks, Jose! (Been reading your posts for years!)

I've spent a number of hours browsing flightsim.to. Just terrific! 

Addon linker is on my list as well.

Never saw any posts on the external gauges but have felt they were unnecessary and sort of odd from the beginning. 

I have quite a folder of videos, guides, and tutorials saved for MSFS.

I followed Nick N's advice all through FSX. He was terrific!

Bruce

8 hours ago, DJJose said:

Jose

What are external gauges? and how do I remove them?

Store ver. and custom location on C drive.

Thanks.

Robin

5 hours ago, Romeo_Tango said:

What are external gauges? and how do I remove them?

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

8 hours ago, brucets said:

Thanks, Jose! (Been reading your posts for years!)

I've spent a number of hours browsing flightsim.to. Just terrific! 

Addon linker is on my list as well.

Never saw any posts on the external gauges but have felt they were unnecessary and sort of odd from the beginning. 

I have quite a folder of videos, guides, and tutorials saved for MSFS.

I followed Nick N's advice all through FSX. He was terrific!

Bruce

Hi Bruce.

See the video link posted by @Cpt_Piett

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I followed this chap's advice for all his nVidia Mask settings, and that gave me, on the next MSFS SU9 run (including his MSFS.cfg recommendations)  an extra 3 FPS.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but with my max around 30 FPS, that for myself is a healthy 10 percent gain, for only setting all his recommendations to my mask.  Everybody's FPS mileage will of course vary...but for a 10 percent FPS hike...most appreciated. Will stay with these settings until somebody discovers something even more 'pedal to the metal'.... 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

Hey SES, lozza great stuff happening these days !

Fénix comming to scene too anytime soon !

Whazzzzaweek.....   🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The  YouTube'er (the vid creator...)  spoke during his explanation of his settings on the topic of cloud pixilation running Ultra.  I indeed had that...but with following his recommendations and setting them...no more Ultra setting cloud pixilation. Here is the result of his settings at 5,000 feet coming in from the Gold Coast, heading West...(interior...)  It isn't SU9 that is creating any cloud (horrible!) pixilation's (at Ultra)...it is your DRIVER settings, that is rendering that!

Screenshot-888.png

Screenshot-889.png

Screenshot-890.png

Screenshot-891.png

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Hey SES, lozza great stuff happening these days !

Fénix comming to scene too anytime soon !

Whazzzzaweek.....   🙂

Yep...now flying this afternoon over the Land of Oz...and the clouds now, in SU9 with this chap's recommended DRIVER settings...is/are quite fabulous...no longer any crappy looking piliation(s) running at Ultra...take a look at the four snaps I just did...and you won't see any..., and, before I changed to his settings...well...I just thought it was SU9.  I wonder now...how many other things have I thought and other's have thought in lousy rendering/performance that we gave the bad rap to MSFS (whatever iteration) and it was all the time, the varied settings we had driving our drivers, and the driver suite we were using....and placing the 'rap' at the feet of MSFS!   Learned that lesson today, post his driver recommendations!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, vodka69 said:

hello Sesquashtoo

what settings are using to remove those pixeled clouds?

thx

To be honest, as I type this reply, ...I can't remember which one he advised to change from/to.  I'd suggest that you just watch the whole vid at a reduced 2/3's window...and have your nVidia Mask open and what I did, was as he explained and changed each setting...(option),  I paused the vid...did the change, and went back to this vid.   Stop...change, start,  stop, change...until the vid was over. But it (his recommended driver settings)  sure does eliminate all cloud pixilation and he was right...it's the DRIVER settings one has...and not a graphic flaw/bug/problem within MSFS SU9.   As you could see in my four snaps...my clouds now are truly real world...and quite fabulous!   Very happy Camper...

Edited by Sesquashtoo