Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Passenger arrested for 'helping' the pilot.

In today's news:

" A man opened an emergency exit of a United Airlines jet, walked onto a wing as the plane taxied at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and jumped onto the tarmac early Thursday", police said. Police said when the man jumped onto the tarmac, he attempted to guide the aircraft to the gate.

There was just as much mental illness 40 years ago as today. But there weren't video games. You never heard this kind of thing happening back then. I don't think passenger was 'crazy', just felt entitled to do this own thing. That's my guess.

https://apnews.com/article/arrests-chicago-california-escondido-3d9fe9c1d005269603b0689dc8e47bf6

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The whole planet is coming unhinged.  Becoming one big ghetto.😕

Bill W.

• Like 1

Social media.  A plethora of 24 hour 'news?' stations looking for something shocking to bring you.  Two income families have become a necessity.

Reality shows where the grosser the behavior the bigger the ratings.

Does anyone remember when TV stations signed off at midnight with the National Anthem and the Thunderbirds?  How about the 10:00 news starting with, "It's ten o'clock, do you know where your children are?"

Parents who weren't afraid to say NO to the kids when warranted.  

iPhones that have become a part of the anatomy of most teenagers.

Drugs - drugs - drugs.  When I was in high school I wouldn't have known where to get them if I wanted them.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

Social media.  A plethora of 24 hour 'news?' stations looking for something shocking to bring you.  Two income families have become a necessity.

Does anyone remember when TV stations signed off at midnight with the National Anthem and the Thunderbirds?  How about the 10:00 news starting with, "It's ten o'clock, do you know where your children are?"

Drugs - drugs - drugs.  When I was in high school I wouldn't have known where to get them if I wanted them.

Noel

I can tell you as a parent of two boys aged five and seven I am more than a little concerned about how things have turned out since I was a kid/teenager in the 80s and 90s. Very happy I am living in a neighbourhood where we look out for not only our own kids but the others as well. Social media is societal cancer, and that is putting it nicely (hoping I don't get censured because of 'politics' now).  

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

People who are/were introverted when younger and now are attention seekers/influencers wanting their 15 minutes of fame.

Or their years of fame...

5 hours ago, birdguy said:

Noel

We used to hitch hike to high school and back. Nobody thought anything of it.

We were never to be found in the house. Just had to be back by 6 for dinner.

Out catching blue belly lizards and king snakes.😀

16 minutes ago, newtie said:

Out catching blue belly lizards and king snakes.

Actually we walked three blocks to school.  But they don't do that anymore either.  Parents drive them to school and back.  But they are afraid of child molesters and bullies.

I never see kids playing out n the park anymore.  Just organized soccer leagues.  We played touch football and baseball in empty lots or a playground or in the park.  We had altercations and a bloody nose or two.  But that was part of growing up.

Saturdays and after school hours was our time.  No adults allowed.  We organized our own teams and decided among ourselves what we would do.

I live across the street from a park.  And during soccer season the organized teams play with adult coaches and parents looking on.  We did by ourselves back in the day.

That was what my Me and Lee and Larkin Street stories were all about.  Our little world without adult supervision.  We weren't that helpless.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, newtie said:

Out catching blue belly lizards and king snakes.😀

You would be arrested for that now.   Don't you know the poor creatures need protection.

Harry Woodrow

How does a story about some lunatic adult jumping out of a plane end up as another “those pesky kids” topic?😲

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

How does a story about some lunatic adult jumping out of a plane end up as another “those pesky kids” topic?😲

Did anyone even read the story? Dude was 57 years old. Clearly, it's all about Generation Z and their lack of boundaries! 🤣

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, birdguy said:

And others as well, much to their detriment.

• Like 1

It' almost as if they were invented to cause chaos.

One morning I was walking to the adult center when a lady drove into the parking lot while talking on her cell phone.  She tried to back into a parking stall and hit the fender of a truck in the adjacent stall.  Without missing a beat she got out of the car while still talking and checked the damage to her car and the pickup truck.  Slight dents and she left some paint on the fender of the truck.  Never stopping for a minute she just laughed, continued talking, got back in her car and drove off.  I got her license plate number and gave it to the lady at the desk in the adult center after telling her what happened.  I don't think the lady even saw me standing there watching the whole thing go down.

I have not yet, and probably never will, carry my iPhone around with me.  I used to take it with me when I travelled but I don't do that anymore.

People tell me I should carry it in case I have car trouble or get into an accident.  Well, Toyota takes care of that for me.  If I get into an accident severe enough to trigger the built in device the operator has the GPS coordinates and will call the proper authorities.  For minor accidents or car trouble I press a button on the inside roof of the car and the emergency operator will ask what I want.  I can tell her something like call AAA because I have a dead battery or a flat tire.

But if I did want to carry my iPhone in the car there is a charging plate for it on the front of the console.  After I bought the car the salesman told me to bring my phone in.  I did and he set it up somehow with something called Bluetooth.  My steering wheel as has a telephone answer button and a telephone hangup button on it.  If the phone rings I press the answer button and can carry on a conversation through the car speakers without ever having had to take my eyes off the road.

Noel

• Upvote 1

Funny you mention iPhones and accidents. 
After too many incidents of people either running red lights or tying off and shooting up with their iPhones at stop signs, after which I honk my horn because the light turned 10 seconds ago (after which they flip me off most likely because I ****** up their Tweet) I wonder how many people have been killed while on their phones driving.

After searching, information not available. Lumped in with ‘distracted driving’. I wonder who doesn’t want you to know this information…hmmmmm.