Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Is anyone else seeing a 26 GB update tonight

I am starting a thread on this because it is important to me, I don't want to wreck my sim. I try to start MSFS and it tells me I need to update 26GB. I already have SU9 and it runs perfectly. Is anyone else seeing or running this large update which is twice or more as large as SU9 or is this an error by Asobo that will wreck my sim?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, Sesquashtoo said:

Nope...just checked the Store...nothing to update...

Can you start MSFS 2020 without seeing this? spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am starting a thread on this because it is important to me, I don't want to wreck my sim. I try to start MSFS and it tells me I need to update 26GB. I already have SU9 and it runs perfectly. Is anyone else seeing or running this large update which is twice or more as large as SU9 or is this an error by Asobo that will wreck my sim?

Do you have the space on your hard drive, or external hard drive, to backup your MSFS folder? You can always make a backup copy of your MSFS folder.  Then do the update and if your update breaks MSFS, exit MSFS and restore your backup folder. I would only do this if you are comfortable with making backup copies of your folder, renaming folders, etc. If you are not good at making backup copies of your folder, renaming folders, etc, then don’t do this because it will cause you more grief if you mess up.

Also, hopefully you are using the add-on linker.  If you are using the add-on linker, your Community folder should be empty and if you backup your MSFS folder, you won’t be copying your add ons.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

54 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Do you have the space on your hard drive, or external hard drive, to backup your MSFS folder? You can always make a backup copy of your MSFS folder.  Then do the update and if your update breaks MSFS, exit MSFS and restore your backup folder. I would only do this if you are comfortable with making backup copies of your folder, renaming folders, etc. If you are not good at making backup copies of your folder, renaming folders, etc, then don’t do this because it will cause you more grief if you mess up.

Also, hopefully you are using the add-on linker.  If you are using the add-on linker, your Community folder should be empty and if you backup your MSFS folder, you won’t be copying your add ons.

I have a Macrium backup of my entire harddrive, but sometimes with these programs you need to back up more than just the folder of the program, due to registry entries and such. That can be a nightmare   Did you not see this pop up about the 30GB update?

Edited by Bobsk8

7 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Nope...just checked the Store...nothing to update...

I just checked. First by simply starting the sim as Bobsk8 requested.  All the way in. No updates.  Then just checked xBox. No available updates.  I clearly am not seeing this at this time.

I highly recommend at this point, based on other reports of losing settings and hardware profiles, that everyone back those up.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Can you start MSFS 2020 without seeing this? spacer.png

Yes...it spins...checks...and moves on, Bob.

just started it up myself for a friday flight. did not see an update dialog or anything unusual. i'm using the steam version 

cheers

I have a custom installation of an MS Store MSFS, but the files containing my hardware profiles is located at:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs

There is a similarly named subfolder in Steam installations.  Just back up that wgs folder.  Also find and backup your UserCfg.opt file.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I have a Macrium backup of my entire harddrive, but sometimes with these programs yhou need to back up more tan just the folder of the program, due to registry entries and such. That can be a nightmare

Just backup your MSFS folder using Windows file explorer.

Your other alternative is to wait one or two days to see if this update request goes away. I read some people were having issues with the XBox live service, so I don’t know if that is impacting MSFS for some people. But if there are issues with the XBox live service, it will probably be fixed in a day or two.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, abrams_tank said:

Just backup your MSFS folder using Windows file explorer.

Your other alternative is to wait one or two days to see if this update request goes away. I read some people were having issues with the XBox live service, so I don’t know if that is impacting MSFS for some people. But if there are issues with the XBox live service, it will probably be fixed in a day or two.

I love MSFS 2020, but I can now see that this in the cloud game can instantly turn into a nightmare if something goes wrong. 

1 minute ago, Adamski_NZ said:

The problem *may* be related to XBox Live issues:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Yes, I just checked on Twitter and see they are still having problems with their game service. I think I will wait till tomorrow.  I also submitted this problem to Zendesk. 

• Like 1

No update on Steam, but no marketplace either.

I have pending update of any kind either. I even checked Content Manager just to see if anything popped up there. Nothing. Hope you get it figured out.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11