Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Big a/c and big engines - (GE/PW/RR) B777s...20 pics

Modern aircraft engines are fascinating...they are also quite amazing. Imagine e.g., that the exemplary (twin) long-hauler B777-300ER could stay in the air on an average 16 hours a day, during non-stop flights, day-after-day, year after year...It's also hard to believe but the high-density-layout 777s (e.g., with Air Canada / Air France) can carry up to 468 passengers...more than the typical capacity of a quadruple-engined B747...!

If you have travelled, on such long-haul flights, watching those engines humming along, just outside your cabin window...almost as if they could go on forever...it's impossible not to be impressed, those engines being the most impressive part of the a/c...! My longest afloat in the air, I recall, was in an AA B777 for 17+ hours..."...so, here, comes to my mind, for a moment..."High Flight - Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth..."...🙂...Cruising along just under 40,000 feet would surely qualify as "High Flight"...I presume...

As I recall, that (extended) flight duration included an (unexpected) diversion to an alternate destination due to inclement arriving weather conditions...so, today, when I was setting up the FMS for my (make-believe) 777, and had to enter the FUEL "RESERVES" on the PERF INIT page, my mind went years back to that (RW) long-haul flight...as to what the crew must have pre-planned for their fuel reserve, that they actually needed...BTW, this post is triggered by bits of my (recent) readings about large a/c engines...especially for the 777...I was also reminded of the dramatic events of United Flight 328, that had occurred just about a year ago, in which, barely 4 mins into takeoff, the crew were forced to (successfully) secure a failed engine, and return the 777 to ground, with the (sole) working engine, elapsing another (fateful) 20 mins. Requesting a left-turn (emergency) return to the airport, the captain had accomplished a one-engine-inoperative approach, landing on Rwy 26 (KDEN) without further incident. There was zero injury onboard or on the ground...a most remarkable display of (all-around) airmanship by the crew...in the most critical phase of the flight...! If you wish, you may search and view a passenger video recording of the unnerving sight of the stripped, failed and simmering (right side, #2) engine...in flight...

The B777 has been (traditionally) equipped with 3 types of (massive) high-bypass turbofan engines... (GE/PW/RR). In this post, I wish to share (SIM) pictures that illustrate all these 3 types of powerplants that energize the 777. In my series, here, I've used only the B777-200ER variant, showcasing two less-seen-here Airlines (TAAG Angola and TAP Portugal), plus United, my most (777) travelled (RW) Airline, (see, below, two ground pictures of an UAL 777-200ER (with PW engines) interjected in the middle, between the sets of images for TAAG and TAP). This shown UA 777 is very similar to the one involved in UAL Flight 328.

To the layman eyes, such as mine, all these 777 engines may look alike (except I can tell the Rolls-Royce ones by the unmistakable (blue) logo of the overlapping twin letters "RR"...🙂...e.g., see my very last screenshot below...), but, of course, there are differences among these engines, in terms of performance and capability. Anyway, please find below, first, the GE-powered TAAG 777, capable of lifting off with over half-a-million lbs. of weight, powerfully climbing up and away after takeoff, and then the RR-powered TAP 777 descending equally impressively back down to the bonds of Mother Earth...🙂...for landing...The two sets of pictures are demarcated by the two screenshots of the PW-powered UAL 777-200ER.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of these remarkable a/c engines fitted to this remarkable a/c, an a/c which has been Boeing's flagship (and classic) trendsetting (long-haul) twin...! 

Thanks for your interest...and Happy Flying...!!

BDK1Sq.png

U7Gaqh.png

gWn214.png

No0ji0.png

sdjWLn.png

AjT3Po.png

BiDUZi.png

swVR8x.png

jWenwd.png

76M4V9.png

PgQR3Y.png

lMjxM5.png

aWF9W3.png

jHd0s6.png

M8AhLf.png

KKai7w.png

Nph2N0.png

jNujh4.png

4btFHN.png

HGCvmO.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 5

Great set and realy big engines, yea that is 777's like..😎

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Great post!

I think I shared these thoughts once before...many years ago I flew on the B777 from Cincinnati to Gatwick. In Gatwick, we parked at a stand and had to disembark at the stand into waiting busses. Exiting the plane from the L2 exit down the stairs, each of the passengers on that flight got an up close view of those massive engines. You can't even imagine how large they are until you see them up close like that! Incredible engineering! Awesome power!

Thanks for your post.

• Like 3

Very nice set of shots! 😉 TAAG is great on this 777! 🙂 

• Like 2

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

Size does matter ………great shots !! . 

• Like 2

Hey Folks: Appreciated...Thank you for taking the time to comment...!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1