Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Any good VR gloves compatible with MSFS?

As the topic suggests, anyone in here successfully using some form of VR gloves rather than the normal VR hand controllers or the mouse?

Would be so nice being able to use your own hands and fingers to manipulate things in the cockpit rather than using the rather clumsy VR hand controllers. Or the mouse for that matter. Which IMO takes away quite a bit of the immersion.

To me being able to use your hands as you would in the real cockpit, that will be the next big step in VR immersion!

Edited by WebMaximus
Grammar correction
  • Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

OpenXR toolkit for MSFS has a support for hand tracking but it requires special hardware to work. There's very little information about it online leading me to believe that it's not very useful yet...

I agree hand tracking will be the next breakthrough VR feature. So great to finally free your hands from extra peripherals.

Yeah, guess it's still a bit early times for this but I'm so much looking forward to seeing this become mainstream!

Richard Åsberg

I wonder how this would actually work in the sim. I imagine accidentally activating thrust reverse or dropping the flaps lol

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

2 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I wonder how this would actually work in the sim. I imagine accidentally activating thrust reverse or dropping the flaps lol

A good thought, especially for those of us having hardware such as yokes, throttle quadrants etc which we still like being able to use. The simple solution is allowing the user to exclude certain "VR touchpoints". Meaning the user won't be able to interact with these in VR using any form of VR controller.

Richard Åsberg

6 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

A good thought, especially for those of us having hardware such as yokes, throttle quadrants etc which we still like being able to use. The simple solution is allowing the user to exclude certain "VR touchpoints". Meaning the user won't be able to interact with these in VR using any form of VR controller.

I agree. I've thought about this a lot for my own VR cockpit and some kind of zoning of what is/isn't enabled must surely be the way. Also it will be important to align physical controls with real controls in the sim as much as possible. Otherwise you'll reach for the real throttle but your hands will show in a completely different place in VR.

These are the principles I built into my Spitfire cockpit and the adjustable mounting points rig system. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

Wow, that is so cool and like we agree, being able to exclude those things in the cockpit you don't want any interaction with in VR is most probably the best way forward.

Back when I was using X-Plane and the Zibo mod, as I recall it, I had Zibo add some of these options into the EFB already at that time. Where you could simply enable/disable parts in the cockpit you didn't want any VR interaction with. Such as the yoke, the TQ etc.

Again, I really do think (hope) this is where we're going with VR in a not too distant future.

Edited to add, I remember looking into the gloves made by this company. Haven't checked them out lately and I have no idea if and how well they offer support for MSFS.

https://www.sensoryx.com/

Also, I guess it's not just about any other company supporting MSFS but also for Asobo to work with and support these kind of companies and their products. So far as we all know, Asobo have not always showed us VR users the love we would like but I recall how Asobo mentioned in one of their latest streams how they now see VR as one of three separate platforms. Where the other two obviously are PC and Xbox.

That to me sounded promising, since that hopefully means the are planning to add more resources into VR specifically going forward.

Edited by WebMaximus

Richard Åsberg