Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

What some MSFS customers might NOT understand is that their initial investment made it possible for use to have a sim that is in constant development. Other sims have failed because of lack of support by the community. ASOBO claimed that this is a 10 year plan.

After the initial release I purchased the Premium (cause I deserve it 😀) and was not impressed at first, but once I learned what to do with it, I became more and more enthralled with the visuals. At first it was a sightseeing sim for ME. The updates came and they quickly became a problem for me as I noticed that watermasks were removed, mesh anomalies or spkes crept up after some updates, controllers were broken, performance was then degraded, LOD distance was reduced, the clouds were dumb down, payware aircraft broke, and let's not forget the AP debacle. There have been countless of issues that have not been fixed and/or broken by many of these unnecessary updates.

Each of us has a level of passion for our flightsims and all we want is a working sim without the failure to connect or authentication errors.

Now we finally have expensive payware airliners available, yet the core sim is still not addressed. These updates will continue and add-on devs will need to keep up. Most importantly, we (simmers) will need to have the patience required and hope MSFS becomes the sim we all want it to be.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

34 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I wish Asobo did it how LM does with P3D. Having updates that are not mandatory and that are only hotfixes upon updates. I for one don't care about anything being fixed other than the constant disconnection issues, its beyond a joke now and has been going on since release.

And all the improvements in P3D since it started don't add up to a one update in MSFS. 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Whilst the number of updates is an issue is not the main issue, that lies with the incredibly poor Quality Control each and every update that had been plain to see since release day.

It's quite obvious what they need to do; Lower the number of Sim Updates per year, this would allow more time to concentrate on each individual update and release in a far more stable and "completed" fashion. Not only would this give them more time in house, it would give Modders more time to update their mods with relation to changes and/or new features of each update. The current release schedule means modders are forever chasing their own tails, fixing mistakes that Asobo brought upon them and when they're fixed another update releases which breaks something else....it's a never-ending circle which can be avoided.

Of course a continually developed title such as this will have hiccups, there will be bugs & issues, but the way Asobo/MS are currently going about it means they're constantly taking two steps forward and one step backwards. It spells out poor management to me, too many chefs in the kitchen trying to cook up the perfect course only for it to be burnt. 

Lower the update frequency, improve quality control... it's that simple.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

23 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Lower the update frequency, improve quality control... it's that simple.

Fully agree. High update frequency leads to problems, and this is exactly what we've seen for more than a year now. Additionally, they're still areas to be improved in the sim (like AI Traffic and ATC, for instance), now that big airliners like the LSH's MD-80 and PMDG's B737NG are coming up. They will add complexity to the sim and this will require a lot of good quality management for the upcoming updates, something that in my opinion could conflict when you're dealing with so many updates during the year.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

16 hours ago, Noel said:

I've had virtually zero problems w/ any updates, but I am a staunch believer in the KISS method for something that is undergoing frequent updates.  So avoid bloating your Community Folder with too much stuff you're trying to make MSFS be something it isn't quite yet.  Where to draw the line is the hard part but be sure you really need the functionality before taking on something like google map data and I'm sure lots of other goodies because the higher the number of goodies the greater the risk of a conflict w/ an update, in general.  I think there is a connection between 'update-anxiety' and installation complexity so for now until MSFS matures more and updates start to slow down maybe keep your addons restrained a little until it's time to test its resilience.  

What I do and highly recommend, is to use Addon Linker, and for each flying session, use it to place in Community only the add-ons I need (actually links to them, which take up very little space). That way I can have all the add-ons I want, stored outside MSFS, but Community is kept to a minimum. Many people already know about this, but some may not. To me, AL is one of the most important mods ever developed for MSFS, and it's a freebie!

Edited by cobalt

Hello,

Windows is updated every week.
Quite often, you must reboot your computer, it installs updates while shutting down and while rebooting.
We got Windows updates at the end of Xp's life. Before, I used CDs to update.
Same with 7, 8, 10 and now W11.

I also get quite often updates under Linux. Difference is I mostly never need to reboot.
Mac OS ? Same problem : you can / must update.
Difference with Linux or Mac OS : you choose to update or not, when you want.
You can only postpone updates under Windows (7 days)

I've lost much more time updating my Os than updating FS2020 (no need to reboot)
I do enjoy world updates.
I'm happy to see bugs solved.

I understand it can be boring if your internet speed connection is low.
In France, we are lucky : optics fiber is not really expensive (2 Gb down, 600 Mb up at  home).
Updating speed is not a problem for me.

So,
Your OS will be updated for a LOOONNNG time. Maybe forever.
Updating once a month FS2020 is not that bad !
Thank you Msoft and Asobo !

Also, do not forget the world is changing fast : a new road here, a new lake there, etc... it's good to see changes from time to time on FS 2020 !

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ctdlg said:

Hello,

Quite often, you must reboot your computer, it installs updates while shutting down and while rebooting.

I also get quite often updates under Linux. Difference is I mostly never need to reboot.
Mac OS ? Same problem : you can / must update.
Difference with Linux or Mac OS : you choose to update or not, when you want.
You can only postpone updates under Windows (7 days)

I've lost much more time updating my Os than updating FS2020 (no need to reboot)
I do enjoy world updates.
I'm happy to see bugs solved.

I understand it can be boring if your internet speed connection is low.
In France, we are lucky : optics fiber is not really expensive (2 Gb down, 600 Mb up at  home).
Updating speed is not a problem for me.

So,
Your OS will be updated for a LOOONNNG time. Maybe forever.
Updating once a month FS2020 is not that bad !
Thank you Msoft and Asobo !

Also, do not forget the world is changing fast : a new road here, a new lake there, etc... it's good to see changes from time to time on FS 2020 !

here in spain, i also have a great speed connection.

is good to see updates of all but....

when the update brings you more stutters than before.... its not as good as you think.

i would prefer one less road and a smoother taxiing on airports.

🙂

Edited by abranpuko

3 hours ago, abranpuko said:

makes me appreciate how important it is NOT TO BUY something until it is minimally presentable

To put this in context realistically from my experience:  I've been using MSFS nearly daily now since Aug 2020, and the percentage of days/flights where I was unable to create, start and complete a flight is probably around 0.3% of the time.  So for me it's light years beyond 'minimally presentable'.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

To put this in context realistically from my experience:  I've been using MSFS nearly daily now since Aug 2020, and the percentage of days/flights where I was unable to create, start and complete a flight is probably around 0.3% of the time.  So for me it's light years beyond 'minimally presentable'.  

not for many other people.

what you kindly tell me, is like in the story:

- a man says: "im ill, im ill, im ill"....and another man comes and says: "dont exxagerate, im healthy".

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, ctdlg said:

Yes, that's right, fortunately, as it never fails

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

18 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

It's really getting crazy with all these updates, I feel, it really stops u from playing the sim., and enjoy just flying.  What is the purpose of having a beta team before the release of an update, such as #9.  I never saw any game or simulator with so many updates.

I have been flying since the mid 90's and never had this issue.  I can  understand once in a while u need an update, but this is just getting out of control, every update itseems needs a patch, then why do u have a beta team ?

Sorry, folks, I am just venting out, and want to enjoy this fabulous, gorgeous sim.  Shortly willl \have PMDG in town, and now we have the Maddog, the BAE 146, the Fenix coming shortly  Please stop with all the updates! or try to cut them down a bit.

I get what you're saying here for the most part but until VR is fully realized the updates need to keep coming.  I'm seeing significant advancement with each update and wouldn't trade that for anything.  We've never seen FS developed like this before.  Yes things get broke along the way but nothing like the first year.  It's a double edged sword but like I said VR still needs much work and the AI Traffic engine in the sim is pitiful right now.  Asobo can't stop now with those glaring hanging issues still present.  You can throw ATC in the mix as well. Still getting cleared for landings at certain airports where the tower is spouting out garbage like, "Microsoft = ^#&&@".  I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. 🥴🙂

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Frequent updates are required to keep the kiddies interested.

*** Red Alert! Shields Up! ***

:wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

15 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Frequent updates are required to keep the kiddies interested.

*** Red Alert! Shields Up! ***

:wink:

More like flight simulation was stagnant for the last 10 years before MSFS, during the reign of P3D and XP.  The best way to describe LM and LR was that they were a little complacent, and simply didn't bother to push forward flight simulation technology to where it could be by the 2020s.  Fast forward 10 years later, MSFS is showing P3D and XP where flight simulation technology can be.

I don't mind the updates now, because Microsoft/Asobo is continually pushing flight simulation technology forward, and reaching a new high with every update.  Yes, there are some setbacks.  At the same time, we pushed Microsoft/Asobo to implement public opt-in beta testing, to smoothen the update process out, and I think the public opt-in beta testing has helped immensely.

MSFS is in the direction of reaching the "holy grail" of what we all want a flight simulator to become.  I have no faith in P3D or XP reaching the holy grail because both are about 10 years behind in technology compared to MSFS at this point.  For this reason, we shouldn't mind the updates, because with each update, MSFS gets closer and closer to reaching that holy grail of flight simulation that we all envisioned. At the same time, IMO, we need to keep pressure on Microsoft/Asobo on having a good and long enough public opt-in beta test period.  Keyword here is "long enough" because a short public opt-in beta test period isn't helpful either.  I thought the SU9 beta test period could have been lengthened by perhaps 2 weeks, but otherwise, I felt the time they spent on the SU9 public beta was much better than before.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 7

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

19 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

It's really getting crazy with all these updates, I feel, it really stops u from playing the sim., and enjoy just flying.  What is the purpose of having a beta team before the release of an update, such as #9.  I never saw any game or simulator with so many updates.

I have been flying since the mid 90's and never had this issue.  I can  understand once in a while u need an update, but this is just getting out of control, every update itseems needs a patch, then why do u have a beta team ?

Sorry, folks, I am just venting out, and want to enjoy this fabulous, gorgeous sim.  Shortly willl \have PMDG in town, and now we have the Maddog, the BAE 146, the Fenix coming shortly  Please stop with all the updates! or try to cut them down a bit.

These complaints are tiresome. Clearly you have not been in the betas, so like everyone else you complain without understanding. And if you look at the game from August 2020 until now and don’t understand why they’re updating it, I just don’t know what to say. 

• Like 6

This sim is perpetually linked to its Microsoft run server.. If the server is down it will not work bottom line (Unless of course you want autogen stuff). Know what your getting into and accept it before you hit the purchase button. I complained like the op at the start yet as an Xbox gamer for many years before MSFS2020 i should have quickly adjusted to the reality. I didn't initially because i was used to the inherent stability of installing disks and the sim running independently of an internet connection. Those days are gone (at least for this sim).. And as long as the user base demands any scenery to mimic the real thing you see outside this is presently the only way to get it done.

As for the updates ... This isn't a sim built from scratch.. Items need to be fixed and development needs to move forward in order for modern features like VR to be added and expand the userbase on other platforms.. Not to mention the other issues that require fixing like the Wx and Ai and constantly improving the visuals and underlying systems to allow 3rd party developers to work with the sim.

With the above in mind complaining about updates  on a platform like this is a bit unreasonable (In my opinion).  One can definitely complain about the quality of the updates and the time it takes for them to patch issues and the mode/method of delivery as many are  ... but the very nature of how this sim  operates lends itself to needing updates .. That is not going away anytime soon from what i can see.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders