Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

I'm tired, but not because of something breaking during an update: since SU5 (when I purchased MSFS), only SU9 broke something in my sim.

What bothers me is that updates are seldom under 4 GB. With the slow speeds at MS servers, it takes a good time to have them downloaded. I've never managed to have the download speed to get up to even half of my ISP's. Sometimes I fire MSFS up just to have a quick flight around the pattern, and no, there's a required update, and there's no way to fly until the full update is downloaded 😒

There should be another way...

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

24 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I'm tired, but not because of something breaking during an update: since SU5 (when I purchased MSFS), only SU9 broke something in my sim.

What bothers me is that updates are seldom under 4 GB. With the slow speeds at MS servers, it takes a good time to have them downloaded. I've never managed to have the download speed to get up to even half of my ISP's. Sometimes I fire MSFS up just to have a quick flight around the pattern, and no, there's a required update, and there's no way to fly until the full update is downloaded 😒

Updates come out about once a month. The date is well published. Just plan ahead. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

25 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

No problem with the number of updates but would much rather the option to use the sim as is and choose to update it when I want rather than having to bin a session whilst it downloads and then potentially breaks stuff.... if that means I can't fly MP then that's not the end of the world.

With complex add-ons now starting to come out in force I think this issue may come to the front when SU10 breaks add on xxxxxxxxxx.

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

5 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

With complex add-ons now starting to come out in force I think this issue may come to the front when SU10 breaks add on xxxxxxxxxx.

Or the PMDG release today, and the the SU9 patch 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Or the PMDG release today, and the the SU9 patch 😁

That was my thinking, seems to break the WT CJ4 regularly - although they tend to have the next version ready to go. Throw PMDG, Fenix, Leonardo, JustFlight etc into the mix and I would imagine it could cause some amount of hassle.

Part of the reason my P3D is still on 5.2.. .. well that and the fact I'm 99% MSFS now...

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

This is modern consumerism at its best just watch the documentary about the Boeing 737 max (real world) This sim Is NOT RTM it is still in an alpha/ beta state of development ie: the ever changing, convoluted, and wacky translations of the UI. The Sim with its various load screens have yet to be optimized in any way, shape, or form! The thousands of super obvious bugs that still exist since the pretend "alpha" I have a home cockpit with many controllers set up for a bunch of different a/c, with a dedicated custom game controller for views/ cameras and it takes me weeks and weeks of tweaking and tuning of all custom settings. I just updated to SU9 and for the 3rd time (always after updates) I have lost all my settings again! It makes me so freakin mad!!

• Upvote 1

Asus P6T deluxe v.2 MB, i7 940 3.5ghz CPU, 6gb ddr3 1600 Ram, ,1K watt Antec PS, 300gb 10k rpm vraptor HDD, Windows 7pro 64, nvidea 470 GTX, Track IR4, Matrox TH2G w/21" displays, Saitek X52 pro hotas and yoke, CH pedels, Butt Kicker

10 minutes ago, Cayenne said:

This is modern consumerism at its best just watch the documentary about the Boeing 737 max (real world) This sim Is NOT RTM it is still in an alpha/ beta state of development ie: the ever changing, convoluted, and wacky translations of the UI. The Sim with its various load screens have yet to be optimized in any way, shape, or form! The thousands of super obvious bugs that still exist since the pretend "alpha" I have a home cockpit with many controllers set up for a bunch of different a/c, with a dedicated custom game controller for views/ cameras and it takes me weeks and weeks of tweaking and tuning of all custom settings. I just updated to SU9 and for the 3rd time (always after updates) I have lost all my settings again! It makes me so freakin mad!!

Wait for the 'well it works fine for me, or,  you're a niche' crowd to show up 🙂

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Wait for the 'well it works fine for me, or,  you're a niche' crowd to show up 🙂

Well. I am reminded of my dad. Whenever I give him my old PC which was running fine for years he manages it to break it in the matter of some days. 
Somehow it’s the same here. People doing crazy things in config files and strange things they saw on a YouTube channel - and then wondering why the installation is messed up. 

Regarding the updates: that’s how it is done in modern software development. It’s agile. Yes. They break things too often at Asobo but most of the time they fix it within hours or some days. 

You guys should be happy to have a modern sim that is worked on nonstop. Instead there’s again 9 pages of „buhuuu my life ends when I can’t fly“. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Updates come out about once a month. The date is well published. Just plan ahead. 

I've got enough things in my life to plan it around a sim update schedule, no matter if FS is my main hobby. 

Now, with the update blocker someone uploaded, that looks like a good option: fly when I want, then I have MSFS updating at a convenient time.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

14 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

update blocker

Interesting, it works? 

I need to check,@Ianrivaldosmith. But for that, I'll need the date of the next SU or hotfix...or at least wait until an update appears.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,

Been several days now with no marketplace available in-game with Steam install.

Hmmmm....

All those frequent updates made the launch of the MD 80, BAE 146, PMDG 737 and others possible. Don't like it? You're welcome to go back to the stagnant sims that charge you $60 for incremental updates.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

4 hours ago, Krakin said:

You're welcome to go back to the stagnant sims that charge you $60 for incremental updates.

I love how people can't just say "enjoy another sim"....they have to throw in the little insulting jab.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

5 minutes ago, JNS said:

I love how people can't just say "enjoy another sim"....they have to throw in the little insulting jab.

Especially implying that "other sims" are stagnant. 

Stagnant as in having reached a completely stable working sim that satisfies 99% of its users.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.