Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

Oh no! Another scary update, boo-hoo!

• Like 5

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, Noel said:

Are you back to trying understand why MSFS isn't identical to XP in terms of a few 'trinkets' of functionality?  No one working on MSFS today was working on FSX so your point is about as relevant as stating Al Gore invented the internet.

That might be true, but are you saying that MSFS 2020 was build completely from scratch with no FSX code at all? See? Robert Young recently even wrote somewhere in a thread (I don't remember which one) that some functionality of FSX was deleted. So, what did Asobo in the last 4 to 5 years (development time included)?

On 5/14/2022 at 4:09 AM, Noel said:

Oh no it's fine to come into the MSFS forum touting the advantages of XP/P3D/FSX, but you don't dare bring MSFS into the Xplane forum where that is strictly forbidden by the rabid dogs guarding the kennel there, and when that fails they summon one of several willing moderators to come in and help them eject the offending visitor.  Ask me how I know...twice.

Meanwhile I have read a lot of threads in the X-Plane forum to learn from it, and I have seen that you have posted (or should I honestly say: spam.ed?) there with numerous screenshots and videos of MSFS. And there were others which also spam.ed with literally hundreds of posts and even personal insults about how advanced MSFS and how behindhand X-Plane is. So, honestly ... what do you expect? A warm welcome? We have seen in just this thread what happens in such cases, with your own answers and the ones by Scottoest and ShawnG. And recently there was a storm of indignation here in this forum on some threads like "Has MSFS stalled?" and "Please give us new grass!" But I haven't seen hundreds of X-Plane posts here - I have mentioned "X-Plane" only a few times, now imagine you have to read hundreds of posts like "X-Plane is fantastic, MSFS is meh." in this forum. What would happen? "Hello and welcome my dear friend! It's cold and dark outside. Come into our warm and illuminated house. We have prepared coffee and cake for you. Would you also like a beer?" To be fair, you have to grant others what you grant to yourself. Otherwise ...
BTW: abrams_tank recently called for the moderator in a thread to help him.
However - no worries 😉, I will keep MSFS, but after reading what X-Plane has to offer evan by default since years (frigate landing, Space Shuttle full reentry into the atmosphere, hypoxia, turbulences within thunderstorm clouds but not outside, damaged flaps at overspeed, blown tires at hard landings, ...), I will definitely install it.

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Like 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, JNS said:

I love how people can't just say "enjoy another sim"....they have to throw in the little insulting jab.

What's insulting about it?

vatsim s3

1133704.png

20 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

I have seen that you have posted (or should I honestly say: spam.ed?) there with numerous screenshots and videos of MSFS.

Yeah that's what they thought too--you belong in that kennel it would appear you'll fit right in.   Silly me I actually believed they might be appreciated because it was clear several knee-jerking negative reactions were made by peple who hadn't even used MSFS.  I went to that forum after learning about XP12 and naively believed others there might appreciate seeing what MSFS had to offer because clearly many of the statements about it were gross exaggerations or patently false and again surprisingly these were made by people who had not used MSFS.   Very naive on my part I honestly believed sharing impressions was a very good thing.  

• Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Well, the vast majority of activity on avsim appears to be here in the MSFS forum, and I suppose that says it all in terms of the reality of the simming landscape currently 🙂 Even when there are those who go out of their way to keep harping on made-up or real negatives of MSFS in order to prop up their pet sim (whether it be here in this MSFS forum or others), that still is goodness overall for MSFS 🙂

In under two years of being out in the field, MSFS has become the sim it was meant to be where we are spoiled for choice now in terms of realistic aircraft of all types, to fly in a simulated world+weather environment that truly parallels reality like no other. As was said in that now locked thread, May 2022 is a major inflection point for MSFS. And this is just the beginning, with all these aircraft devs who're flocking to MSFS putting out their first incarnations.. as they familiarize themselves with the MSFS platform better, the quality and innovation in their add-ons are only going to keep leapfrogging each other... again, goodness for us as the MSFS consumer. As it stands now, to many including myself, MSFS provides the best overall flight simming experience, nothing else currently available (or coming soon from what I've seen) even comes close, period.

Could Asobo do better with their QA and not introduce regressions?, do they sometimes take two steps forward and one step back?, do they still have a lot on the backlog of features to get to?, have they speedily implemented a lot of important advancements since initial release? A resounding YES to all these questions. If you cannot handle the modern software paradigm of agile advancement (with all its negatives and positives), then I think you'd be much better served by more static legacy sims.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

51 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

....are you saying that MSFS 2020 was build completely from scratch with no FSX code at all? See? Robert Young recently even wrote somewhere in a thread (I don't remember which one) that some functionality of FSX was deleted. So, what did Asobo in the last 4 to 5 years (development time included)?

No I never said that but I tell you what that is exactly the kind of twisted conclusions made by a few of the dogs on the rabid dog forum you'll find yourself in good company there.  What the heck is your point anyway?  If it's that MSFS isn't as far along as you think it should be who cares but you.   I think it's absolutely groundbreakingly stellar already, with more to come.  

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 5/13/2022 at 1:34 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

MSFS is certainly getting a more lively atmosphere, but there are still occasions where the 'on rails' feeling is still there for m

You've not used P3D?  Compared to MSFS that is flying on rails squared.  Landings in the AS CJR700 are a genuine challenge in MSFS whereas all planes in P3D could land themselves even w/o CATIII.

• Like 6

Noel

Yup the only flying-on-rails feeling I get is if I enable the legacy flight model in MSFS ... otherwise it's anything but that and realistically more "alive" especially when interacting with the world weather and airflow. In fact I also see complaints from a lot of people who say that it's too alive 😄 , so goes to show opinions can vary greatly amongst the users.

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I'm posting this here because I was one of the people who have been ok with updates. But, WU9 is an epic failure!

After visiting ROME I decided to uninstall the region. I experienced stutters, trees everywhere, and crackling sound. Just terrible! They need to update this region pronto.

Update: After deleting the region, now Italy is usable again.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:11 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

FSX was replaced by P3D now in its fifth generation and the second as a 64-bit sim. OOMs are unheard of although very high video settings for a few airports can generate VRAM errors. P3Dv5 is light years ahead of FSX and 30fps is easily achievable with quite modest setups.

How much different is P3Dv5 to P3Dv4.4? Genuine question. I just heard OOMs had become a thing again with one of the P3D updates and stopped updating at that point. For me v4.4 P3D was just 64 bit FSX, I didn't find much else different aside from scenery draw distances, certainly wasn't lightyears.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, Rockliffe said:

My biggest gripe is the updates being mandatory. Every single time, without fail, there are issues. I'm rather stalled with having all these world updates and yet there are still so many aspects of the sim that need to be addressed. I haven't flown for about two months.

What issues have you experienced recently? It has been my experience a lot of problems with updates come from piling addons into the community folder, I only run about 10 that I feel I need and it's rare I have show stopping issues.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, Noel said:

You've not used P3D?  Compared to MSFS that is flying on rails squared.  Landings in the AS CJR700 are a genuine challenge in MSFS whereas all planes in P3D could land themselves even w/o CATIII.

Twaddle of the highest order.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Used P3D after FSX bit the dust.  P3D was on the same rails FSX was on 🙂  MSFS is a massive improvement but there are many flights that are too smooth.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Speaking of updates, the PMDG DC6 was released almost a year ago.  Problem with exterior lights was posted on their forum, and tickets made out soon after that. After almost 1 year has gone by, we got an update a few days ago that was supposed to fix the exterior lights.  Guess what, they still don't work. 😉

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

26 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

How much different is P3Dv5 to P3Dv4.4? Genuine question. I just heard OOMs had become a thing again with one of the P3D updates and stopped updating at that point. For me v4.4 P3D was just 64 bit FSX, I didn't find much else different aside from scenery draw distances, certainly wasn't lightyears.

Quite significant because LM don’t shout improvements from their rooftop.

The whole world ground textures have been updated. Now, when you fly over South America, Africa or the Far East the coastlines and terrain is as accurate as it was with Ultimate Terrain Europe, NA and the Caribbean. I’ve uninstalled those.

With 5.3 there’s a new section in the Prepar3D.cfg for particular tasks to be assigned to individual virtual processors. That spreads the load across all your cores. Completely different to FSX where everything is on core0 and to a lesser extent with v4.

The airports have been updated but the downside of that is the reduced number of parking positions. I’m hoping that might be addressed with a point update.

Performance is much better than v4 because the processing is spread over more cores. You’ll need to check for v5 airports as the ground height has changed and some tweaking is required by the developer.

Well worth updating.

If you wish to discuss further please raise a topic in the Prepar3D forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It all sounds very impressive, but the scenery in P3D is still artificial and not real-world. To me that trumps everything else.

• Like 4