Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

My biggest gripe or should I say concern is MSFS' very raison d'etre:  its cloud basis.  I think having everything installed locally as has been the case until now gives one a sense of control and security that is not matched by cloud-based architecture.  But the more I think about it the more I realize that control and security is an illusion in large part.  Mandatory updates are a part of cloud-based architecture it would seem.

I wonder how many CDs it would come on with a boxed version? 😁

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Everyone buying the latest and greatest addon like the PMDG 737 is part of the problem. As long as we keep on giving Microsoft money, directly or indirectly, there will be no incentive for them to polish this sim. All they need is hype for the initial purchase, updates be damned.

We are at their mercy. However, I'm still getting the Fenix. 😀

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

32 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I wonder how many CDs it would come on with a boxed version? 😁

!/2 if doubled layered. 😀

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It was clear from the start, well before MSFS was launched, that this was to be a 10-year cloud-based project with frequent updates, using continuous streaming of satellite data. This is the only practical way to have real-world scenery for the entire planet; the data required amounts to orders of magnitude larger than any PC could conceivably accommodate at any one time, so loading it from CDs, etc. is fantasy. 

• Like 3

On 5/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, DJJose said:

I thought that ASOBO made a decision to update a little less?

Yes and no. What they said is they'd stop doing patches unrelated to World Update with the World Updates, unless there's a good reason, like an AIRAC cycle update or a bug fix that can't wait for a sim update.

There will always be a small patch with the World Updates because they also update the base sim generic airports with each world update, they also update the sim's version number.

Edited by Tuskin38

13 hours ago, cobalt said:

It all sounds very impressive, but the scenery in P3D is still artificial and not real-world. To me that trumps everything else.

Wow. What a surprise. Of course it's not real world , it's a simulator. You might just as well decry the aircraft because you are not actually in the air.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

12 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

As long as we keep on giving Microsoft money, directly or indirectly, there will be no incentive for them to polish this sim.

I don't know about that.  If they're not making significant money why should they continue supporting it?  I believe they want to develop the sim further this is always their stated goal.  I think it's critically important to support it to help incentivize the producer to continue the project for its stated 10-yr service life.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

19 hours ago, wims80 said:

What's insulting about it?

The original post I was referring to said: "All those frequent updates made the launch of the MD 80, BAE 146, PMDG 737 and others possible. Don't like it? You're welcome to go back to the stagnant sims that charge you $60 for incremental updates."  The part that I considered needless and insulting was:  "Don't like it? You're welcome to go back to the stagnant sims that charge you $60 for incremental updates."

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Boo hoo 😭 too many updates! 👋 outta here.

sorry but come on .. first you all complain about not enough updates then you all complain about getting them.

You guys are never happy lol

mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Wow. What a surprise. Of course it's not real world , it's a simulator. You might just as well decry the aircraft because you are not actually in the air.

I think there's a valid distinction between 'photorealistic' scenery and 'landclass generic textures with autogen' though.   

That's a clear distinction compared to a simulated aircraft being equal to landclass/autogen, because "both are simulated and not real".

In P3D, my real house has been built on top of a field, with what looks like a mysterious stream running close by.   (Hint: there's no stream there in the real world) 😊

In X-Plane 11 default scenery, it's even worse.  My house is a generic factory building, located on what looks like sand.

In MSFS, my house (which is not within a photogrammetry region) is right there, with the correct ground image and pretty realistic house assett.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

7 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I was comparing flying in MSFS to flying in other sims, specifically the degree to which they are able to simulate the real-world feeling (i.e., "immersion"). None of the others comes close.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

I was comparing flying in MSFS to flying in other sims, specifically the degree to which they are able to simulate the real-world feeling (i.e., "immersion"). None of the others comes close.

This is really it for me--and it's a little hard to describe because it's so subjective.  I have NEVER had the sense I was actually looking at what might actually be there until this sim showed up.  I've not flown in Italy since the update but did this morning after reading DJ's post that the update killed performance and just look at this jaw-dropping image over Venice.  And there is no performance hit so not sure what happened to DJ, but I only flew Venice to Milano.  It's very hard to know for sure you're not looking at a photograph of the real deal--and this is present largely over a huge part of the entire world.  Scenery 'artists' can certainly create lovely work, in fact w/ more detail and perhaps 'prettier'--but ultimately artificial.  It's everything:  the objects/vegetation/lighting all over the entire scenery scape that creates this sense of immersion.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

This is really it for me--and it's a little hard to describe because it's so subjective.  I have NEVER had the sense I was actually looking at what might actually be there until this sim showed up.  I've not flown in Italy since the update but did this morning after reading DJ's post that the update killed performance and just look at this jaw-dropping image over Venice.  And there is no performance hit so not sure what happened to DJ, but I only flew Venice to Milano.  It's very hard to know for sure you're not looking at a photograph of the real deal--and this is present largely over a huge part of the entire world.  Scenery 'artists' can certainly create lovely work, in fact w/ more detail and perhaps 'prettier'--but ultimately artificial.  It's everything:  the objects/vegetation/lighting all over the entire scenery scape that creates this sense of immersion.

I have been flying around Italy for the last two days with no performance problems at all. With a couple of bugs at LIRN, everything else looks smooth from the air. 

spacer.png

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Image in quoted post removed
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

3 hours ago, cobalt said:

If you say so.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

3 hours ago, cobalt said:

That is an understatement. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS