Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vilk

Driver confusion from SP1 post

I was looking at possibly changing my driver from 91.92 to something newer to see if it is better. I read in another post here quoted:"I have the best result never had before with this below, I just installed new driver and these are so far the best I could ever imagine, ultra smoothForceWare 158.27 XP WHQL" This guy is using a gforce7600 card. When I go to Nvidia's site, it shows these upper numbered drivers for the the 8800 series, not anywhere near the 7 series. How is this possible to use these drivers with an older card? Nvidia says the drivers are for the 8800 series only.I thought they are not supported or will not install at all???? I have an Nvidia 7900GXT. Can someone explain this? The last driver I saw was 93.71 for the other cards. Thanks for your input.

Guest chinga

The actual newest driver for the 7 series cards is 94.24 found here:http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24_2.html You can use the 158.27 driver if you use a modded .inf file. After you download the file and run the .exe it will extract the files to c:nvidiawin2kxp158.27 Open the nv4_disp.inf with notepad and add this line under the heading:{Nvidia.Mfg}%NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0290.1% = nv4_NV3x, PCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0290Then under the heading:Localizable stringNVIDIA_G71.DEV_0290.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX"The drivers will now install for your card.I installed them for my 7950gt and they were really smooth and better image quality but the game would sometimes crash. So i went back to the 94.24

Thanks for the info chinga. I will look into this. I may go the 94.24 route, as I don't want to chance crashes.

Guest Vilk

i second 92.24. an excellent set. i took some time to switch back and forth between these and a couple of others and there is a noticeable difference in image quality, also outside fsx