Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

RAM Memory

Hi

After knowledge of more than one year in MSFS, I would like to know if we might win something in performance if we add more 32 GB of RAM. Sceneries are sometimes heavy.

Thanks.

I think its VRAM you might want to add not RAM. Yes 32GB might help, but MSFS seems to be very GPU heavy. I'm waiting for $gme and $amc to rip so I can buy a 3090Ti.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Hi

After knowledge of more than one year in MSFS, I would like to know if we might win something in performance if we add more 32 GB of RAM. Sceneries are sometimes heavy.

Thanks.

Not really. Mostly the sim uses just under 16GB. LOD is a big factor on how much memory is used.

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

My sim averages around 11-12 GB ram. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I think its VRAM you might want to add not RAM. Yes 32GB might help, but MSFS seems to be very GPU heavy. I'm waiting for $gme and $amc to rip so I can buy a 3090Ti.

I have an Asus RTX 3090 OC. So, if it is VRAM what can I do? 

I also talked about more RAM because for now I use another computer for other tasks, but I might change to one computer only, and MSFS plus internet plus microsoft office plus whatever you like, it will be quite heavy. 

And about MSFS I am counting all heavy addons like sceneries, cities, aircrafts, AI. and so on...

Edited by harpsi

37 minutes ago, harpsi said:

I have an Asus RTX 3090 OC. So, if it is VRAM what can I do? 

I also talked about more RAM because for now I use another computer for other tasks, but I might change to one computer only, and MSFS plus internet plus microsoft office plus whatever you like, it will be quite heavy. 

And about MSFS I am counting all heavy addons like sceneries, cities, aircrafts, AI. and so on...

Check your RAM usage when you use other applications like Office, browsers, etc, while running MSFS.  If you don't have over 90% RAM usage, I wouldn't buy the extra RAM.  

I have 32 GB of RAM myself and I keep all my other applications open (Chrome, Firefox, Word, Excel, etc) when playing MSFS, but I play in 1080p. I also use mostly Ultra settings at 1080p. I don't come close to using 32 GB of RAM with MSFS running.  However, if you play above 1080p resolution, you may be using more RAM.  Thus, check your RAM usage, it's quite easy with Task Manager.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I upgraded from 16 gb to 32 gb RAM and really noticed no difference.  Best gains come from upgrading GPU, CPU and going to an SSD or M2 drive

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Check your RAM usage when you use other applications like Office, browsers, etc, while running MSFS.  If you don't have over 90% RAM usage, I wouldn't buy the extra RAM.  

I have 32 GB of RAM myself and I keep all my other applications open (Chrome, Firefox, Word, Excel, etc) when playing MSFS, but I play in 1080p. I also use mostly Ultra settings at 1080p. I don't come close to using 32 GB of RAM with MSFS running.  However, if you play above 1080p resolution, you may be using more RAM.  Thus, check your RAM usage, it's quite easy with Task Manager.

I play in 3440 x 1440. Normally I have only MSFS opened. Nothing more at the moment.

My CPU is i9-10900K.

30 minutes ago, harpsi said:

I play in 3440 x 1440. Normally I have only MSFS opened. Nothing more at the moment.

My CPU is i9-10900K.

You can open Task Manager in Windows and check how much RAM MSFS is using, and how much unused RAM you have left.

In my opinion, based on the resolution you are playing at, if you don’t have other applications open, I doubt you will need more RAM. But best is to use Task Manager to check (Task Manager comes with Windows).

Edited by abrams_tank

14 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

You can open Task Manager in Windows and check how much RAM MSFS is using, and how much unused RAM you have left.

Flying with cessna 152 in the region of Liverpool with cith and airport scenery: CPU 46 % and RAM 57 %

1 hour ago, harpsi said:

It's not clear if you already have 32Gb RAM and are considering more, or if you have less than that and are asking about boosting it up to 32Gb.

If you have 32Gb Ram at present there is little benefit in increasing it.

Also, why would you want to be using MS Office at the same time you are using MSFS?  If Office is just loaded in the background and not actually in use, it would have only a very small claim on available memory, 

John B

20 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Flying with cessna 152 in the region of Liverpool with cith and airport scenery: CPU 46 % and RAM 57 %

I wouldn’t buy more RAM if you’re only using 57% and this is your normal usage pattern. 

I think 32GB of RAM should be standard in every build aimed towards simulation or gaming. I ran with 16GB for a few years, but 32GB has allowed me more leverage and given me more room when choosing settings etc. SU9 has ruined performance for me in most cases, hopefully a hotfix will bring back the performance I have lost. I am surprised your 3090 isn't giving you a better experience in terms of performance around scenery.

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

I wouldn’t buy more RAM if you’re only using 57% and this is your normal usage pattern. 

I have 32 GB at the moment. But I am just with cessna, not with complexed addons at the moment. Is it enough?