Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Remove static aircraft models from (payware) airport scenery

When I was using X-Plane, I had this great scenery editor/tool that could be used to remove static aircraft models yourself from payware airport scenery. It was a bit fiddly but at least it could be done once you learned how to do it. It was actually quite simple, just adding exclusion "zones" on top of the aircraft static models in the scenery.

Now in MSFS where most of my payware airports unfortunately come with static aircraft models which is a real shame when flying online on Vatsim, I would really like to find a similar tool/method to get rid of these static models in the same way I could in X-Plane. Having a nice airport scenery sometimes cluttered with these static models really kills the airport scenery when you end up with a mix of fake aircraft and online aircraft. Sometimes with online traffic parked on top of the static models.

So far, I only have payware airports from Orbx plus Copenhagen from FlyTampa. The only airport of these coming with a config tool where you can choose if you want these static aircraft models is Orbx ESMS. The rest of the Orbx airports as well as Copenhagen from FlyTampa don't give you a chance to choose for yourself which is a real shame. I honestly don't get why airport scenery developers insist on adding these static models. When there are so many other ways to have aircraft at your airports if you so wish.

Is there anyone in here who found some tool/method to get rid of these static models from payware airports in MSFS when the developers don't provide us with that option?

Edited by WebMaximus
Grammar correction
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I agree. I have AuScene YBNA and it has a static aircraft at one of the 3 bays for A320 size aircraft. Major pain! If such a tool exists I would also be interested.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I think the best thing we can do in parallel with trying to find a tool or method to remove these static aircraft models is to spread the word within the community we don't want static aircraft models these days. Or at least, always include an option to remove them.

Now with the PMDG 737 around the corner, I'm planning to buy lots of addon airports. Up until now while waiting for the 737, I've mainly used default airports with a few exceptions as mentioned. However, with the 737 coming when I will go back to mimic real world operations as close as possible, I also want equally realistic destinations.

Back when I was using FS9, FSX, P3D and X-Plane, I had like 40-50 payware airports. I'm planning for the same in MSFS but at this point, I'll hold off buying any payware airports where static models are included if I can't disable them. Meaning airport scenery developers will miss out on some really good business. If enough people do the same thing, I'm sure airport scenery developers will give this a second thought going forward.

• Like 3

Richard Åsberg

Flightbeam do a number of great airports.  I have Auckland  and it is a simple setting selection to turn off the static aircraft. It doesn't seem arduous for the developer to include this little on /off switch so I'm not sure why other developers insist on cluttering up their gates with fixed objects. It's like they don't understand the issues with AI  going around if gates aren't available. Not that gates, AI or much of anything in this realm is well modelled at the moment but in terms of the future when Asobo decide the time is right, these airports will become a nightmare unless a switch is offered to turn the aircraft scenery objects off and make the gates available.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Thanks for the tip about Flightbeam and I couldn't agree with you more. I really don't understand why developers insist on adding these "statues" to their products without a simple option to disable them.

After all the years I've been within this hobby, this was always a problem. Which is why some clever people found ways in the past to remove them yourself when developers don't. And keep adding them to their new products without an option to disable them.

So with this said, I'm coming back to what I said above...I wish more people would start raising their voices to help the developers understand they will loose customers and business if they continue adding static aircraft models which can't be removed to their products.

• Like 1

Richard Åsberg

What i found is many of the developers add static and ground clutter to the main scenery file instead of creating a separate bgl so we could disable it just like p3d and fsx days.

• Like 2

tpewpb-6.png

8 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Thanks for the tip about Flightbeam and I couldn't agree with you more. I really don't understand why developers insist on adding these "statues" to their products without a simple option to disable them.

After all the years I've been within this hobby, this was always a problem. Which is why some clever people found ways in the past to remove them yourself when developers don't. And keep adding them to their new products without an option to disable them.

So with this said, I'm coming back to what I said above...I wish more people would start raising their voices to help the developers understand they will loose customers and business if they continue adding static aircraft models which can't be removed to their products.

I completely agree with this and have tried a couple of times over on the LatinVFR forum but so far have had no success.

17 minutes ago, RW1 said:

What i found is many of the developers add static and ground clutter to the main scenery file instead of creating a separate bgl so we could disable it just like p3d and fsx days.

Maybe it's different what you can do in MSFS. What I don't get is why the developers add them in the first place. Now when most people use other methods to have aircraft at the airports. Be it online or AI traffic.

15 minutes ago, tubbsds1 said:

I completely agree with this and have tried a couple of times over on the LatinVFR forum but so far have had no success.

I've done the same thing over at Orbx and FlyTampa. I think for this to have effect, more people need to raise their voices.

• Like 2

Richard Åsberg

8 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Copenhagen from FlyTampa.

Richard,

There’s a small mod at flight flightsim.to that will remove the static a/c at FlyTampa EKCH.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

With small airport developres I try to communicate with them directly and in many cases they have listened and helped me remove them like the developer FSX3D for example. Like someone said above we need to make them aware that we dont want static aircraft. I think many developers are more interested in a nice looking airport rather than a functional one.

11 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

When I was using X-Plane, I had this great scenery editor/tool that could be used to remove static aircraft models yourself from payware airport scenery. It was a bit fiddly but at least it could be done once you learned how to do it. It was actually quite simple, just adding exclusion "zones" on top of the aircraft static models in the scenery.

Now in MSFS where most of my payware airports unfortunately come with static aircraft models which is a real shame when flying online on Vatsim, I would really like to find a similar tool/method to get rid of these static models in the same way I could in X-Plane. Having a nice airport scenery sometimes cluttered with these static models really kills the airport scenery when you end up with a mix of fake aircraft and online aircraft. Sometimes with online traffic parked on top of the static models.

So far, I only have payware airports from Orbx plus Copenhagen from FlyTampa. The only airport of these coming with a config tool where you can choose if you want these static aircraft models is Orbx ESMS. The rest of the Orbx airports as well as Copenhagen from FlyTampa don't give you a chance to choose for yourself which is a real shame. I honestly don't get why airport scenery developers insist on adding these static models. When there are so many other ways to have aircraft at your airports if you so wish.

Is there anyone in here who found some tool/method to get rid of these static models from payware airports in MSFS when the developers don't provide us with that option?

Msfs Is shipped with a Dev mode scenery creation tool

You can in minutes create a mod with that to exclude pretty much everything in a scenery (according that the 3rd party Dev have made a decent job separating the objects)

The object to use in your case Is ExclusionRectangle with excludeLibraryObjects only selected

The mod should compiled and placed in community to work

• Like 2

The easiest solution would be to ship their product with a "with or without" option in the first place and whilst I can remember both adding and deleting static objects in FSX, I've not learned how to do scenery creation in MSFS so far.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, mikced76 said:

With small airport developres I try to communicate with them directly and in many cases they have listened and helped me remove them like the developer FSX3D for example. Like someone said above we need to make them aware that we dont want static aircraft. I think many developers are more interested in a nice looking airport rather than a functional one.

we?? well i want them..so what is needed is options.

6 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Richard,

There’s a small mod at flight flightsim.to that will remove the static a/c at FlyTampa EKCH.

Are you successfully using this one yourself with SU9?

Reason I ask is I already tried that one but wasn't able to make it work even after carefully following the installation instructions.

4 hours ago, mikced76 said:

I'm afraid you're correct in your assumption many scenery developers care far more about the overall look of the scenery vs how functional it is for those who will be buying the product.

Let's hope this discussion in here can be a start of spreading the word. Which will hopefully and eventually reach the ears of the airport scenery developers.

3 hours ago, mamu82 said:

Msfs Is shipped with a Dev mode scenery creation tool

You can in minutes create a mod with that to exclude pretty much everything in a scenery (according that the 3rd party Dev have made a decent job separating the objects)

The object to use in your case Is ExclusionRectangle with excludeLibraryObjects only selected

The mod should compiled and placed in community to work

As someone else commented, of course it would be much preferred to have an option included "out of the box" to get rid of static aircraft models. Until that day though, great it seems to be a way to get rid of these models similar to what I was using for X-Plane.

Will try to see if I can find some tutorial on how this can be done using the tool you suggest. I might spend some time on it if it's not too complicated and time-consuming. Again and falling back to what has already been said, in 2022 and in a modern flight simulator such as MSFS, I really don't think you should have to use these kind of manual "hacks" in order to have a good experience. Certainly not with products you paid for.

Richard Åsberg

14 minutes ago, wim123 said:

we?? well i want them..so what is needed is options.

I fully agree, an option where you can easily choose for yourself would be the best option without a doubt.

Out of interest, may I ask why you like to have static aircraft models rather than using a more "realistic" option where you get aircraft which will move etc? Rather than just standing there as a statue. Very much like a building, only in the shape of an aircraft.

Richard Åsberg