Sign in to follow this  
alanlj44

MD-80 Hi-res VC project [WIP]

Hi fellow users of the mighty Maddog MD-80

Thought I'd start my own topic to continue talking about my High Resolution Virtual Cockpit project for Leonardo's MD-80. We all know the aircraft is great system wise, but many of us felt disappointed with the texturing not being on par with MSFS next gen rendering engine and GPU capabilities of today.

To that effect, I'm actually doing an entire overhaul of the VC textures. I'm not repainting everything from scratch of course, but using a whole bunch of enhancing softwares I have access to and different techniques to higher up the resolution with much greater and finer details. Some of the VC parts/details were so low-res due to too much VC parts that are big on screen and close to the camera all crammed into only two small 4K textures for example, that enhancing techniques failed to give acceptable results, meaning I decided to repaint them from scratch which is time consuming for someone that has knowledge of photoshop and how texturing works but is not a texturer/artist 😅

For optimization purpose, the mod will normally come in two iteration: one with needed textures going as high as 8K and another one going as high as 16K to allow some of our lucky friends with beasts of war to fully take advantage of their bigger amount of VRAM. 

Work is taking more time than I initially thought but progresses are going well. Some people have contacted me already for beta testing and I expect to send them both version for testing very soon.

Here's a couple of comparison shots:
Hi-res pictures, be sure to zoom in to the max

O6BsIoJh_t.jpg

JcDbSQGh_t.jpg

4ZvaMxP2_t.jpg

Ncxon27Y_t.jpg

25AW2Cw9_t.jpg

X0ojzu1K_t.jpg

GUMXLODO_t.jpg

pNyYVpUO_t.jpg

N8Oyi68g_t.jpg

VmzG7Lpi_t.jpg

• Managed to get rid of those horribly pixelated faked shadows that were especially bad looking during night time but day also

HggA0Uez_t.jpg IvGj0h0E_t.jpg

• Especially worked on replacing all the windows/windshield seals because originals were too low-res to enhance and looked like snail skin more than anything else lol. Tried to paint the seal/part to the green color you see on a lot of cockpit real pictures. Added some handmade HiRes weathering to them (currently not finished, time consuming)

6dAE8nYi_t.jpg

Stay tuned, a first version will be released pretty soon. Subsequent versions will focus on smaller details everywhere (like replacing all the screws by Hi-Res counterparts, replace air masks hose textures, almost entirely remake PBR texturing etc)

Edited by alanlj44
  • Like 32
  • Upvote 3

Very nice! I look forward to flying with these! TIA

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 hours ago, alanlj44 said:

Hi fellow users of the mighty Maddog MD-80

nice work.  however, best to first check with the dev if distributing vc textures would be allowed.  livery textures can be distributed but some devs don't like other texture mods floating around without permission.    

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Excellent work!

• Like 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Great looking mod, thank you for all your work on this.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Great work ! 👍

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

oh Yess this is really what we  needit !!!

Great !!

brds

😍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

however, best to first check with the dev if distributing vc textures would be allowed

That is good advice indeed! I will ask them right away.

Thanks for all the support from everybody ♥

• Like 2

Fantastic work you are doing -- crossing fingers Leonardo will also appreciate the effort !

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

• Like 2

This is VERY MUCH needed!

Edited by Hatch76
  • Like 1

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Looks great thanks for doing this!

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Project is about to be released in any moment now at flightsim. Thanks for all the people who offered their help to beta-test, however I found friends close to home who brought along their PC so we could test a few specs live. Admittedly, having 4 PC running MSFS in the same small room was pretty fun and unusual! (and did warm up the room pretty fast lol).

Edited by alanlj44
  • Like 5