Sign in to follow this  
alanlj44

MD-80 Hi-res VC project [WIP]

Can't wait! Thanks so much for your efforts. A part of me was hoping LSH would offer you a spot on the team.

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

56 minutes ago, WestAir said:

A part of me was hoping LSH would offer you a spot on the team.

Mod is pending approval at flightsim.to as we speak 🙂

Thanks for your very kind words 😉 But trust me, Leonardo could find better than me for such a job and I certainly hope they will for the good of everybody 😏 

Most of the textures are still theirs and they were nice, simply too low-res for something like MSFS. Ideally, you'd want to redo the texture work completely from scratch and that is what they should strive for! Most of what I did involved a lot of different enhancing techniques, softwares, fiddling with numbers countless amount of time, do some experimentations and testing to enhance the details of existing textures to the most possible way! Of course a lot of time I had to touchup scratches, little details, paint some new to replace what couldn't be enhanced etc. Takes a lot of time if you're not a texture artist.

BUT! Leonardo should not rely on their old texture anymore. There's only so much you can salvage...

They should work with their real texture artist or hire one to entirely remake the texturing from scratch, including the way the 3D model is UV mapped (create more textures but smaller ones to not cover so much of the cockpit inside a single texture. That was good technique a decade ago but not anymore, using MSFS new decal function as much as possible etc). Repaint everything from scratch and remap the 3d model entirely.

Personally, I just don't know how to do that well enough, or it would take me an enormous amount of time that certainly wouldn't be viable 😅 (I'm not proficient in drawing/painting).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Please post a link, (if you're allowed to) when the mod goes live. Cheers, and thanks again! 

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

2 minutes ago, alanlj44 said:

The mod is live, gents 😎

https://flightsim.to/file/32666/fly-the-maddog-x-cockpit-overhaul-hires

Main file is the 16K version, the other one the 8K.

Test it, give me your feedback, do your mad dogs with it and post your impressions and screenshots if you even want 😉

Happy flights!

I haven't bought the Maddog, but I think you are doing a great service for the MSFS community.  Great job in making the Maddog better!

• Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

ok first one to download. I will let you know

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Stunning work, it should have been like that out the box.

• Like 5

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks ! What version did you just test? How were performances so far? What is your ram/GPU and vram?

EDIT: nevermind, your specs are in your signature already 😅 with that kind of hardware you shouldn't have the slightest problem running the 16K (I do with my RTX 2700 super and 32GB of ram)

Edited by alanlj44

I had a CTD on the first load. Retrying again.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I'm going to try the downloaded version, see if it makes a difference with my own work version but it shouldn't normally  

This I like better 😎

Great performances! How's the stuttering when panning around compared to vanilla cockpit?