Sign in to follow this  
alanlj44

MD-80 Hi-res VC project [WIP]

1 minute ago, alanlj44 said:

This I like better 😎

Great performances! How's the stuttering when panning around compared to vanilla cockpit?

Don't forget I got the 5800X3D. My performance is unmatched

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

11 minutes ago, alanlj44 said:

how you like it so far compared to vanilla cockpit?

I didn't complain about the vanilla version but do seem clearer and of higher quality without any FPS decrease. At least on my system. I don't have time to do a flight right now.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

35 minutes ago, alanlj44 said:

How's the stuttering when panning around compared to vanilla cockpit?

Went with the 16K. No noticeable performance impact or FPS hit. Unfortunately I did not take note of my VRAM usage. Looks good! I really hope this spurs Leonardo into upping their game for ALL the textures.

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

41 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I really hope this spurs Leonardo into upping their game for ALL the textures

Me too! There's only so much I can do, it's very limited. At least in the meantime, we don't have that much of a pixelized cockpit anymore 😅

Edited by alanlj44

On 5/10/2022 at 1:54 AM, Kopteeni said:

Awesome work. You should send a bill to Leonardo for completing their product.

Exactly what i was thinking. He should reach out to them and get paid for finishing this thing. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Thx once again for your hard work and making your mod available to the community so rapidly ! Installed the 8K version - outstanding - absolutely zero stutter with an RTX 2080 under the hood.

Highly-recommended.

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

Edited by TooLowTooSlow
  • Like 2

Send Leonardo an invoice for your work. Seriously, we need to hold addon developers to a higher standard, since simmers pay hard $$$ for these addons. I mean, some addon companies could be releasing flying toasters, and there'd be folks saying: Outstanding, stunning, best ever, study level!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Installed the 8K version

Try the 16K once, you might be surprised 😉 A lot of people with similar GPU (I myself have an RTX 2070 Super so same amour of VRAM as you) have reported no impact whatsoever, if only an occasional stutter for a split second here and there when panning.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Send Leonardo an invoice for your work. Seriously, we need to hold addon developers to a higher standard, since simmers pay hard $$$ for these addons. I mean, some addon companies could be releasing flying toasters, and there'd be folks saying: Outstanding, stunning, best ever, study level!

🤣 There's some truth in there 😅 But I still hope that at some point, Leonardo do a cockpit overhaul the real way it should, with next gen texture work made from scratch and not reuse their past textures. There's only so much you can do with an old source of material... my overhaul is kinda "the Poor man's overhaul" 😂

My two cents is that they didn't have or contracted their texture artist for this release and it's old work from the last they did they are reusing constantly. Some things I found were baffling or puzzling, like how incredibly low-res the AO was (Ambient Occlusion are fake pre-rendered shadows that have been baked into a texture, it used to be a thing for optimization back when GPU were not powerful enough to do it on the fly like rendering engines does now, since it has become pretty GPU cheap since like the GTX 9xx/1xxx series). These greyscaled AO looks like an old work that have been reused and tried to be upscaled a lot the hard way, with catastrophic results since trying to enforce upscaling on low res grey gradients usually breaks them into a pixelated mess.

How they didn't care to simply delete them like I did and let MSFS on-the-fly ambient occlusion do the work (you just lose a very little bit of depth perception but no pixelated mess anymore) baffles me. Makes me think that the 3D artist was not there anymore and someone with very little knowledge of texturing had to do the porting from P3D the best he could.

I don't know why they didn't invest into proper 3D modelling and retexturing from the ground up like PMDG did for example, as it is a huge selling point and hype train. Really didn't do them favor when you see the lack of enthusiasm for the Maddog on the MSFS forum compared to Just Flight 146 and PMDG 737.

The Maddog is a great plane!! Leonardo's addon is a gem! But it is obvious it could have sold even better if they cared to hype it more with beautifull next gen graphics.

Seems to me a bit like they rushed things to benefit and win the race of being the first true airliner payware... that's a bit sad if that's the case.

I sure hope they will TRULY make a cockpit overhaul and not just old textures enhancement like I did, but I'm not sure they are going to do it. It's very time consuming and most of the sales of an addon happens at first release so I'm not sure it will be a viable investment anymore, at least for the time being. I'd be surprised they do, but I certainly hope so! Their addon deserves as much!

Oh well, in the meantime at least, we don't have a cockpit painted with pixels anymore 😅 And I'm certainly going to continue experimenting. There's a few things I'm not yet happy with 😎

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I am. I am not buying it until they address these issues. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

5 hours ago, alanlj44 said:

Try the 16K once, you might be surprised 😉 A lot of people with similar GPU (I myself have an RTX 2070 Super so same amour of VRAM as you) have reported no impact whatsoever, if only an occasional stutter for a split second here and there when panning.

Yep, I actually did switch to the 16K version prior to reading your message -- worked like a charm, and sticking to it 👍

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

• Like 1

No way I am buying the most expensive plane in MSFS only to have to mod cockpit textures and have add-on sound packs.  I mean come on, it is a sloppy port and it will show it's age more and more as the airliner releases continue with exceptional cockpit texturing.  The developer saved a lot of bucks not doing the graphics/sound up to MSFS standards.

1 hour ago, sim4good said:

No way I am buying the most expensive plane in MSFS only to have to mod cockpit textures and have add-on sound packs.  I mean come on, it is a sloppy port and it will show it's age more and more as the airliner releases continue with exceptional cockpit texturing.  The developer saved a lot of bucks not doing the graphics/sound up to MSFS standards.

I understand your point.  But that doesn't change the fact that you are missing out on a wonderful plane.  Wonderful in real life and in MSFS

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just to give some news, Blue version is coming soon:

SbNG5Fn3_t.jpg

Since cockpit variations like the blue one are specifically stored in liveries that uses it, you can't make a stand alone mod that switches itself from brown to blue. It's either brown or either blue and/or gets replaced by liveries specific.

So I'm going to make an installer that recognizes all your different liveries and will allow you to either install brown or blue and their resolution for each livery. It will allow you to choose your cockpit color for any livery.

• Like 4