Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

PMDG 737 --- Stunning

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

Hmm... except for the overdone effects I honestly think that MSFS is doing a better job of depicting actual moving air masses. In XP this feels rather static. Or you move from one weather setup into the next one. Surely you've experienced the CAVOK to fog scenario once. 😄

FlightDeck2Sim praised the PMDG 737 but said he prefers XPlane because flight feels more realistic/dynamic.  My comment was purely about the feel of the aircraft through the air and has nothing to do with weather transitions or lack of them. No doubt MSFS will continue to improve its atmosphere as development continues.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, chiswick72 said:

Bill - Hmm - The wind sounds should be loud - please refer to my link in this post that takes you to the recommended sound settings for the best sound experience, especially the two config settings of Headphone Simulation and Spatial Sound = OFF.

We have FIVE different wind sound layers implemented in this aircraft!!!!! 

Now - if you followed my recommended settings and still you feel the wind sounds are not loud enough, then its a simple matter of turning down the "Engine", "Cockpit" and "Miscellaneous" MSFS sound sliders to relatively increase the wind sounds.  Btw, the wind sounds are linked to the "Environment" sound slider.

Thank, I have the settings minus the headphones simulation since I use speakers. Should I still enable that option?

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Headphone simulation should always be OFF - it is a terrible feature - all it does is activate various filters and sound processing supposedly to improve the headphone sound experience.  But with the 737 it messes up all the cockpit engine sounds in a bad way - so bad that it feels like the sound guy didn't do his job right!  Unfortunately seeing a lot of Youtube videos like that and of course it sounds awful!

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

My comment was purely about the feel of the aircraft through the air and has nothing to do with weather transitions or lack of them. No doubt MSFS will continue to improve its atmosphere as development continues.

Right so that's more about the particular aircraft itself, rather than the "atmosphere" as you say... By "atmosphere" I take it to mean the world environment, airflow, weather etc and there I feel MSFS is better.. and in fact quite a few have said flying just feels more "alive" in MSFS compared to XP or P3D, though some effects might be overdone. With SU9, world atmosphere/airflow is modeled even more deeply, and with SU10 we'll get to turn on visualizations of that which I'm looking forward to. This is all work towards Asobo's goal of simulating weather to deeper realistic levels as well as supporting gliders.

• Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:
4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

My comment was purely about the feel of the aircraft through the air and has nothing to do with weather transitions or lack of them. No doubt MSFS will continue to improve its atmosphere as development continues.

Right so that's more about the particular aircraft itself, rather than the "atmosphere" as you say... By "atmosphere" I take it to mean the world environment, airflow, weather etc and there I feel MSFS is better.. and in fact quite a few have said flying just feels more "alive" in MSFS compared to XP or P3D, though some effects might be overdone. With SU9, world atmosphere/airflow is modeled even more deeply, and with SU10 we'll get to turn on visualizations of that which I'm looking forward to. This is all work towards Asobo's goal of simulating weather to deeper realistic levels as well as supporting gliders.

MSFS atmosphere is coming along nicely, but its not there yet. FlightDecktoSim posted a PMDG 737 on release day where he remarked the atmosphere is too static - and he also remarked this is why he prefers XPlanes atmosphere.  I agree with this, even though while beta testing SU9 I noted the atmosphere was feeling more alive.  He has posted two videos about crosswind landings/takeoffs and there is a reason why he chose XP11 to demonstrate the technique.

90 percent of my time is now in MSFS.  As an overall package it is superb, but it still has work to do to make the atmosphere more dynamic.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Just did a near perfect RNAV approach into LFKB Bastia Poretta. The first proper RNP approach so far in MSFS. Exciting times!

Next up: NDB Z 14 into Tivat!

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Biggest annoyance with FS2020 is AI Traffic at this point. Definitely hoping that get's improved.

Also... I was really testing the flight envelope last night and managed to do this. Flaps fully extended, just above stall speed, pulling back hard on the yoke to trigger stall. I haven't been able to recreate it despite trying several times...

Edited by cmeeks
  • Like 1

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

13 minutes ago, cmeeks said:

Biggest annoyance with FS2020 is AI Traffic at this point. Definitely hoping that get's improved.

Also... I was really testing the flight envelope last night and managed to do this. Flaps fully extended, just above stall speed, pulling back hard on the yoke to trigger stall. I haven't been able to recreate it despite trying several times...

The truth is you can stall at any speed! So called stall speed published for particular aircraft is at load factor 1, meaning you are not pulling any Gs. If for example you bank 60 degrees, while keeping aircraft level, your load factor will be 2G and you stall sooner.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

That's hilarious! It almost looks like slew mode haha!

In a combat sim, or even Kerbal Space Program, the G forces would sheer the plane into a spectacular assortment of pieces. In MSFS, there is no damage model, so we get an unrealistic World where molecules are infinitely rigid. I also don't think MSFS simulates rotational axis air resistance or rotational axis inertia, or if it does, it stopped working in your video lol.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just finished my second flight in the PMDG 737 and both flights were an amazing experience.  Quite nearly perfect.  It's almost demotivating because there's nothing to wish for anymore.  Okay well, I'm looking forward to DLSS and ray-tracing...but yeah.

Although I'm not a real world pilot, I find the flight modeling and air mass simulation in MSFS to be more convincing than X-Plane or P3D.  Of course, you can debate this endlessly (and I'm sure we all will).  But Asobo's approach is very sound, high tech and modern.  And they're continuing to improve it with real-time CFD, etc.  Very exciting.

The only thing I can think of that X-Plane might do better is the ground handling physics at the point of landing.  If you watch videos of external landings in X-Plane, the dynamics going on at the point of touchdown are crazy good.  I haven't been able to find any external landing videos of the PMDG 737 in MSFS yet but I'd love to see that comparison.  Outside of that...I don't think X-Plane or P3D has anything on MSFS anymore.

• Like 2

Stunning indeed. I just had an amazing flight from KBOS to KIAD and couldn't find fault with anything. I know others have already mentioned this, but the sounds are incredible!

spacer.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

90 percent of my time is now in MSFS.  As an overall package it is superb, but it still has work to do to make the atmosphere more dynamic.

Well that's interesting... I hear more complaints about the atmosphere being too dynamic vs too static.

• Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Never pay attention to complainers. Pay attention to people who point out issues and suggest resolutions. Complainers don't matter.

• Like 3

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

9 hours ago, chiswick72 said:

Headphone simulation should always be OFF - it is a terrible feature - all it does is activate various filters and sound processing supposedly to improve the headphone sound experience.  But with the 737 it messes up all the cockpit engine sounds in a bad way - so bad that it feels like the sound guy didn't do his job right!  Unfortunately seeing a lot of Youtube videos like that and of course it sounds awful!

No, it's not a setting to improve headphone experience.

The headphone simulation is supposed to be a simulation of ANR headphones, I don't think it does a particularly good job at it but that is the intention. 

• Like 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB