Sign in to follow this  
Sean McLeod

A Cat is on the prowl...

Happy to move on - and I think this was completely blown out of proportion.

Sean and I actually agree that it was a crappy video capture.

And I really didn´t say anything else in my first post at all. I have not formed or offered an opinion about the aircraft or his craftsmanship at making it.

I love X-Plane and I think it is a disservice to X-Plane to publish videos that make it look like Aces over Europe - an uninformed viewer of that video will draw the conclusion that X-Plane is blurry and the framerate is horrible.

I believe that Sean is using Ortho4XP ground textures or other orthophotos at a low zoom level, the default airport terrain (while not being very pretty) is certainly of MUCH higher resolution. And even a mediocre PC should be able to render the scene shown at upwards of 60 frames per second...so that huge stutter as the camera pans is not representative of X-Plane´s performance, either.

• Upvote 3

The aircraft looks very nice!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sean McLeod said:

Enjoy some Tigercat screen caps...

F7F-3 Tigercat

So your video was in fact a little nugget of gold.🤩

Beautiful. Big S!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sean McLeod said:

Enjoy some Tigercat screen caps...

It looks very nice indeed. Could we have a few more details. Is this payware or freeware? And when is it likely to be released?

Yes !  Looks really nice !

With those two props I imagine it'll get really FAST ! and engine-out scenarios can become scarry....

I was asking myself from when this fighter / bomber comes ... Post WW2 ?... I had the idea it did, and indeed :

The Grumman F7F Tigercat is a heavy fighter aircraft that served with the United States Navy (USN) and United States Marine Corps (USMC) from late in World War II until 1954

One aspect I have found very well modelled in X-Plane, although it then fails when it comes to ground physics ( well, that can be a nice surprise for XP12 if Autin fine tuned it ... ? ) is how well the sim reproduces the inneficiency of the propwash in directional control while taxiing and at the start of the takeoff run on most prop aircraft. Not a factor with this Tigercat due to how it steers ( unless a malfuncion is affecting it's nose wheel ), but it was great to test on other WW2 aircaft models I tried in XP11.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Ok why post this? Phew! honestly I have to agree with other people but surely it could have been done better with some nice graphics like using orthos or maybe that nice Sydney Airport! in the background. But this does nothing for what Xplane can actually offer in its current state from my honest opinion .  Xplane can do a whole lot more than just what this video is showing, how about adding cross wind for the take-off in the video, one of the many features currently available in XP11.55. Oh well who am I to question huh!

Roll on Xplane 12 I suppose is what I say and hopefully we can move forward and not look back.....

and to the developer of the model it is a nice model but please put it on something better than that Video... as the model has legs but that video is the pits lol

If I was going to do a video with your aircraft model l would use for this "Pacific Islands Airfields" by khamsin...

Edited by ianlighting
  • Upvote 2

Hi Sean,

The F7F looks great. The spinners look a little out of place. It must have been a gas to fly in real life - sleek. Don't forget a Navy paint.

Thanks for your work on this historic aircraft.

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Interestingly, Grumman built the aircraft with spinners and the Navy (original customer) opted to delete the spinners from their order of aircraft. It made for easier maintenance with little performance impact.

There are some modern civilian owners that install them from time to time but the Navy/Marines never used them.

There will be a Navy paint for sure!

39 minutes ago, Sean McLeod said:

Reno Air Races 2014 - Grumman F7F-3P Tigercat “La Patrona”

Reno Air Races 2014 - Grumman F7F-3P Tigercat Race #1 “La Patrona”

Those real world shots still do not show X-Plane in its full glory.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, mjrhealth said:

Would like to see the cockpit since that is where the pilot sits.

@mjrhealth fair point, cockpit isn't ready yet for first looks...