Sign in to follow this  
turnandbank

Hooray! Solution to mipbias reducing blurries but causing shimmers

>Cool, I updated my blog with this and gave weenie props.>>note, I have seen people try values of 4-7 with varying>success as well.Phil,I'm pretty sure the negative LOD bias Clamp doesn't have anything to do with the supersampling AA, it doesn't increase performance, it just stops the engine from trying to push the texture mipmap boundaries further into the distance, which can cause really bad shimmering with anisotropic filtering on...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest craig1998

ah I think I replied to the wrong thread in regards to your tweaks here on nvidia. again though thankyou soo much as not only does the scenery look better in distance...it flys by smoother as well ( not sure if microsofts dual core patch hotfix had anything to do with it) but definitely looks 100% better now! thanks.Craigwoohoo no blurriesflying over palm beach at sunset KPBI2007-5-29_23-23-24-859.jpg

Thanks to the information in this thread, I just may have had the most stable, best looking, non-corrupt-simconnect, no-blurry, crisp texture flight I have ever had in FSX (version anything). It definitly rivals FS9 now! Just need some PMDG, LVL-D and UT and I would give up FS9 for good. I would particularly like to thank Tab (Ryan) for his above post about nHancer and his settings. nHancer is definitly sweet and straight to the point. His settings along with mipbias=6 seems to have set me straight and the shimmers were gone for the first time since FS9 came out.One quirk was, after implementing these settings, my FPS tanked on the first statup of FSX. It turns out I had to tweak my overclock settings again in the BIOS. It was at 3.2GHz/400FSB with 4:5 ratio & 5/5/5/15/5 and DDR2-1033. After adjusting the overclock to tighter bus timings and lowering the ratio to 3.2Ghz/400FSB with a 1:1 ratio & 4/4/4/12/5 and DDR2-800, I regained my locked 20FPS settings. Oh, and ASX and XGraphics is awsome now as well.Think I'm gonna just go fly now... Nobody touch nothin' ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/172872.jpg

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

With all the problems with blurries and SP1 still surfacing I thought this thread needs bumping up again. I tried the MipBias6 tweak for blurries previously, but had severe shimmering of autogen until I tried the advice in this thread. I downloaded nhancer and am using 4xs AA and 16X AF and I have Negative LOD set to clamp in optimizations along the the MipBias6 in FSX cfg. I was just about ready to reinstall FS9 prior to this as I had tried everything else to exhaustion with no success. I am now enjoying virtually no blurries and and very smooth flight with no shimmers. I have added the following tweeks to the appropriate sections of FSX cfg.TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=0FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=.34 ; TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=600My system specs are nothing spectacular eitherASUS A8X-SATHLON64-4000 oc to 2.5 GHZ2048mb PC3200RAM7900GS KO 256mb GRAPHICS CARDWD 120GB IDE DRIVEI lock my frames at 30 and maintain that except at major detailed airports where I am getting 14-16 fps looking towards the gates etc increasing back to 30 fps as I move away. I am using 1x high water, no bloom or ground shadows. Traffic 33%, Cars 20%, Boats and Ships 35%. and Very Dense scenery and Autogen. Everything now looks great and I am finally happy with the performance and look of FSX.I strongly recommend trying the advice in this thread if you are having issues with blurries and you at least have a reasonable hardware setup.RegardsMartin

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Guest cbuchner1

are you sure about the texture bandwidth value of 0?wouldn't that STOP loading textures?

Yes, please verify/clarify TBM=0...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Shrek1970

excuse my ignorance but do I have to load up nhancer each time I turn my pc on or once i set it up does it save it to the registry and i can forget about it

There is an nHancer service which is started when you boot the PC. The nHancer GUI is run by you each time want to make a change to your settings. Each time you click on a setting in the nHancer GUI, the change is immediatly written to the registry.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Yes I am using TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=0. Interestingly on my system if I let FSX build a new CFG. file that is what it defaults to. I have tried other settings, esp. 40, 100, 200, and 400, but none of these higher settings have improved my texture loading and they all increase stutters although 40 isn't too bad. Using TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=0 along with the other suggestions in this thread gives me the best overall experience. My textures load very well, not always 100%, but far better than any other settings I have tried. One other thing I found on my system was that setting the Level of Detail Radius to Large also helped to reduce blurries with no performance hit on my system. With regards to 'nhancer' it will save your settings to the registry so you do not have to reset them every time.ASUS A8X-SATHLON64-4000 oc to 2.5 GHZ2048mb PC3200RAM7900GS KO 256mb GRAPHICS CARDWD 120GB IDE DRIVERegardsMartin

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Guest Slides

Where exactly will I find my FSX.cfg file and where inside it do I make the changes and additions? Thanks

Guest SanH

I just bought an Q6600 2GIG RAM, 8800GT graphics card machine and i get no blurries with everything maxed out apart from mesh, texture (1m) and traffic 50%.I get 18-22FPS at Heathrow.I think thats the ultimate solution :)