Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Where do we expect PMDG to go from here?

Once they have their EFB implemented I think they should just continue to refine and perfect what they already have.  Focus next on bringing the rest of their product line to MSFS.  And oh yeah, the B757!

Edited by Gilandred

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

I just hope that once PMDG have done the 777 and 747, the other little project they have hinted at turns out to be the DC-3 and not the 757.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I'd love to see PMDG do a classic B707.  It's such an iconic airliner and at their level of quality and detail, it would be amazing.  I know it'll never happen but one can always wish.

• Like 1

We finally, finally need a high-end study-level regional jet for flight simulator. CRJ or E-Jet preferably. At least in P3D we have the Majestic Q400, but it‘s not clear if, and when, it will come to MSFS. But that‘s a prop and not many airlines use it. 

I think I too, fall into the slightly lazy category. I have been a bit spoiled by the EFB's available today. 

The good news is that I suspect that by the time the 800 comes along we will have it. It also is an easier way of getting ground services and doors etc. EFB's just act as a better UI for the aircraft in general. 

I enjoy being able to load up the flight plan in the EFB and then check block fuel and move into that page to load fuel into the aircraft. Also having the option to stream the EFB onto my own ipad is even better! I do hope PMDG plan that little feature! 

I know they have also said that they will be updating the aircraft textures as well. I would expect their next product will be in better condition than the 700 at release. I would expect that the EFB will have some multi aircraft functionality as well. And of course Asobo will have improved some things as well, I think the weather API is coming in the next update, so that will enable weather radars again.

Good times to come!

Anthony Milner

13 hours ago, molleh said:

The PMDG 737 can input flight plans and wind data from SimBrief right from the FMC, and they are adding a tablet in a not-too-distant update which IIRC will have Navigraph charts functionality among other things.

While I have nothing against a custom tablet, X-Plane has has a generic tablet which developers can use in their aircraft and customize themselves.  Seems like a wiser way to go in general for MSFS.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Next PMDG will release the -800 emphasizing that it is an enourmous difference to the -700 followed by the other 2 variants which will sell less

Then they will release the 777 and 747

I do not see it happen that PMDG will spend time on bringing back the JS41/ MD11 let alone undertake a new challenge to, say, develop a classic like a 707 or a 747-200 (my favorite)

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

49 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

Next PMDG will release the -800 emphasizing that it is an enourmous difference to the -700 followed by the other 2 variants which will sell less

Then they will release the 777 and 747

I do not see it happen that PMDG will spend time on bringing back the JS41/ MD11 let alone undertake a new challenge to, say, develop a classic like a 707 or a 747-200 (my favorite)

PMDG have already dropped very strong hints they intend doing a 757 but that is going to be many years off at this point.

I'm looking forward to the coming 737 enhancements like LNAV2, new EFB, better visual modelling, etc in the next 2-3 months. What I'm really looking forward to are their long-haulers with a preference for the 777 first and then 747 🙂 ... I assume those will have all these new enhancements right out of the gate.

I'm also really interested in how they plan to go forward with their development practices given their learning experience with the 737 development. Sounds like they're not going to re-write a bunch of their base/core C++ code so they'll probably stick to WASM I guess (rather than re-writing from the ground-up to follow "native" MSFS dev practices). Hopefully the coming debugging tools from Asobo will help them in terms of accelerating their development.

But what I really wonder is how will they innovate given what newcomers like Fenix and others offer up? And will we see that innovation in their 777/747? or entirely new aircrafts? I also hope they fully utilize whatever new core sim facilities makes sense, such as softbody physics, CFD, etc.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

13 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I completely disagree. Most, if not, all airlines have some form of route uplink and ACARS. I find it more immersive staying inside the actual flight simulator instead of flipping through windows on my computer screen.

Or as real as it gets take a real ipad as they do, far more convenient and with a whole lot more stuff 🙂

André

3 hours ago, Drumcode said:

One thing is certain now. If Asobo’s updates and patches break anything in the 737, you know who’s going to be in Jorg’s ear about it, especially with such large market presence, so I have a slight hope that Asobo will be forced to up their regression testing quality because of it.

How is this "certain" - pure speculation on your part. 

16 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

I'm also really interested in how they plan to go forward with their development practices given their learning experience with the 737 development. Sounds like they're not going to re-write a bunch of their base/core C++ code so they'll probably stick to WASM I guess (rather than re-writing from the ground-up to follow "native" MSFS dev practices). Hopefully the coming debugging tools from Asobo will help them in terms of accelerating their development.

I believe that the whole point of WASM is to allow that C++ code to be compiled into WASM modules. For many 'generic' functions like math functions, string functions, object loading and unloading, loops, conditional execution, etc., the code is written in C++ as usual. When compiled, the target is WASM instead of a standard PC executable. MSFS reads the WASM and executes is internally.

I think PMDG ported most of the original code (related to the operation of the aircraft, and the operation of it's systems) and focused on the changes from how they interfaced with the previous generation of ESP based sims to how they do it in MSFS. They did a lot of other stuff, too but I think that was the major hurdle for them. They already know how to code airplanes and systems, so that's the easy part (for them).

The most impressive aspect of the 737 to me is that I have felt like I was getting the exact same experience out of a PMDG 737 in MSFS as I did in P3D (never owned it before that). Not just the plane. The install experience felt the same, adding liveries felt the same, operating the airplane feels the same. Obviously, the big difference is the visuals that frame everything so well now. It feels solid, for lack of a better work.

If we can just get GSX and the PMDG airplanes to play nice this time around... LOL

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

how about fulfilling some of their promises for P3D products *ducks*

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

How is this "certain" - pure speculation on your part. 

It is, but it's close to reality knowing RSR and how he is. You may analyze and deconstruct this how you please, that's what I think. If my speculation is accurate, this is a good thing for the community if you really think about it.

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |