Sign in to follow this  
DAD

PMDG 737 - reset MCP and start descent?

When you are already in VNAV you don't do anything. You reset your MCP altitude before your reach TOD and that's it. Should ATC tell you to descent before you reach your TOD use the ALT INTV button. 

24 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What is DP?

I think he means TOD or Top of Descent.

• Like 1

As is being shown here, there is more than one way to skin a cat OR fly an airplane!  What’s wrong with New Alt +-, Lvl Change (level change)?

Works for me but then again it’s a simulation not a real Boeing. 

I apologise in using 'sloppy' terminology; it should be Top of Descent (T/D) in the cases as given.  Descent Point is more pertinent to terminal procedures rather than leaving the cruise phase.  It is shown on the map as a green, open circle labelled T/D. With a VNAV path descent planned, VNAV starts an early descent at 1000 fpm
and captures the idle descent path. VNAV uses FMC SPD for the autothrottle mode and VNAV PTH for the pitch mode.

• Like 1

So you should always start your descent before reaching the T/D point on the ND?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

5 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So you should always start your descent before reaching the T/D point on the ND?

Not necessarily. If you leave it in VNAV and you set a lower alt in the MCP, the airplane will start a descent by itself when it reaches the T/D.

If you wait to descend when you are past your T/D, then you can use other modes to descend and get you back on the vnav path.

Edited by ahsmatt7

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

31 minutes ago, captain420 said:

No - but in the 'real world' on a busy ATC frequency, it's often the case that you have to get your request for descent in a lot earlier than waiting until the T/D.  Sometimes you are not able to get a word in edgeways and go sailing past the T/D.  On other occasions ATC are unable to give you descent clearance so the general rule of thumb is 'get your descent request in sooner rather than later' - so if you do get it ahead of the T/D, start descent in either Descend Now or Alt Intvn.

Edited by ArkRoyal
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ArkRoyal said:

No - but in the 'real world' on a busy ATC frequency, it's often the case that you have to get your request for descent in a lot earlier than waiting until the T/D.  Sometimes you are not able to get a word in edgeways and go sailing past the T/D.  On other occasions ATC are unable to give you descent clearance so the general rule of thumb is 'get your descent request in sooner rather than later' - so if you do get it ahead of the T/D, start descent in either Descend Now or Alt Intvn.

As always plan ahead 😉

André

16 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Reset the MCP altitude to the desired constraint altitude (while still in VNAV) and click the ALT INTV button. That will start the plane back down. 

That's the button hehe... I couldn't really see it unless I slid myself over to the right a bit.

Trying to get back into this bird... I did have a CTD just now leaving KORD - trying to see what the culprit was.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Once set your lower altitude target, you also have the option of selecting VS mode and dialing in a vertical speed to get you back to the descent path. Then just select VNAV again and it will take over.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:43 AM, ryanbatc said:

That's the button hehe... I couldn't really see it unless I slid myself over to the right a bit.

Trying to get back into this bird... I did have a CTD just now leaving KORD - trying to see what the culprit was.

Out of interest did you use the Navigraph chart panel at any point? I've had one complete freeze and a CTD and I am pretty sure I used the Navigraph panel on those two flights (normally never use it)....

All been stable before.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

24 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Out of interest did you use the Navigraph chart panel at any point? I've had one complete freeze and a CTD and I am pretty sure I used the Navigraph panel on those two flights (normally never use it)....

All been stable before.

G

No I haven't used Navigraph for some time.  I haven't even turned on my PC in days lol!  I need some simming time!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

23 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

No I haven't used Navigraph for some time.  I haven't even turned on my PC in days lol!  I need some simming time!

Blast! Was hoping that was the cause, have to keep an eye on it and see if I can figure it out. You using any other in game panels?

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron