Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

passenger lands plane

A simmer's wildest dream 😂

Joking aside, I'm glad they landed safely.

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

And what's more, the guy who landed the plane also had NO Sim experience either!

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

See. How hard can it be? 🤣

NAX669.png

It's been done before.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

He didn't know how to turn on the screen. During touchdown he asked how to slow the plane down.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

This entire story sounds like a publicity stunt. Hard to believe that the passenger did not know how to at least the basics.

I know that a CFI helped him, but I'd love to hear the entire ATC/CFI and passenger interaction to get the entire picture.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

21 minutes ago, DJJose said:

This entire story sounds like a publicity stunt. Hard to believe that the passenger did not know how to at least the basics.

I know that a CFI helped him, but I'd love to hear the entire ATC/CFI and passenger interaction to get the entire picture.

If you listen to the beginning of the controller talking to him, he knew where the vertical speed indicator was and how to read it. Not something that someone with no knowledge would be able to identify. I was a little suspicious too but maybe that's just the cynic in me.

NAX669.png

When I saw it, I was also a bit incredulous. But that was based on the fact that it took me about six attempts to land a Cessna 150 when I did my PPL. But then, maybe he was just a natural.😀

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:01 AM, mwilk said:

If you listen to the beginning of the controller talking to him, he knew where the vertical speed indicator was and how to read it. Not something that someone with no knowledge would be able to identify. I was a little suspicious too but maybe that's just the cynic in me.

To be fair the Vertical speed indicator has a fairly obvious function in the Caravan. Most of the instruments have a fairly obvious function although their significance might be a mystery to a novice, nothing a quick explaination can't sort out though.

Some people find this kind of activity relatively easy.
I come from a background where I have understanding of Engineering principles, basic physics and mechanics. I have good hand eye coordination, good spatial awareness. I have good understanding of verbal instructions.

I always found flying on a sim easy. I probably wouldn't find the real thing quite so easy though. I think flying is easy.....but....understanding all the tech and regs  is another story.

When I took up sailing years ago I found the basics of making a boat go where I wanted quite simple and straightforward. The RYA senior instructor we had thought I was a ringer from the RYA assessing his instructing. He couldn't understand how I picked it up so quick.

I am not unique. This guy had an aptitude and he was in a "no choice" situation. No choice, life threatening situations will make a hero of all of us.

One thing I am also aware of is that in many fields of endeavour folk have an emotional interest in making that endeavour sound difficult. The use of Jargon when jargon isn't necessary is an attempt to do just that. Solicitors do it, Sailors do it, Pilots do it. Hell, I've even done it.

Whoever does it (whatever) wants others to be impressed and wants respect. Some do it more than others though. This is a natural human trait. Flying while not extremely easy is not as very difficult as some would have you believe.

Edited by GaryK
  • Like 1

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52