Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

The Better Boarding Method Airlines Won't Use

This guy is really good, as well as entertaining and funny!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Boarding and de-planing has, in my lifetime, always been a slow and frustrating process.  The biggest hold up is usually the people that brought onboard full-size luggage as their carry-on.  It barely fits down the aisle and is always a matter of fitting the square peg into the round hole when they try to cram it into the overhead bin.  Meanwhile, I'm standing in line, holding a carry-on that is basically a small nylon gym bag containing a book, a change of clothes, cell phone charger, and a toothbrush.  My carry-on fits with room to spare beneath my seat.  Thank goodness, because after those who somehow managed to stuff their full size luggage into the overhead bin, there's no room for my little carry-on bag!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

My carry-on fits with room to spare beneath my seat.

They used to enforce that back in the 70s and I don't know why they stopped. The only exception should be parents with babies and they are assigned to a special row with more legroom and a place to put a baby cot. I remember on Korean Airlines in those days, I couldn't take anything into the cabin, not even my movie camera.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

CGPgrey is such an awesome channel.YEah, it makes you think doesn't it. One of the most tiring things of flight are the queues's etc

Victor Roos

I travel extensively within India using their excellent low cost airline called Indigo (A320neo, A321neo)

Many of these flights involve walking out onto the ramp and using stairs to board the airplane.

The great thing is that both the forward and rear exits are used. Rows 1-15 use the front 16+ use the rear. Same for deplaning. I much prefer this to the jet bridges.

In addition theres a certain charm to being on the ramp as an airplane geek. The smell of jet fuel in the air, howling APUs! You take in some appreciation of the powerful machine that is going to hurl you thru the sky.

Edited by ThrottleUp
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Many of these flights involve walking out onto the ramp and using stairs to board the airplane.

I remember, back in the 70s, walking out to a Japan Airlines flight in fairly heavy rain; each passenger was given a basic umbrella which was then handed back as we entered the aircraft.

Montreal Mirabel Airport used mobile lounges to take passengers to outlying aircraft; the whole passenger compartment could be raised to allow direct boarding.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

Ban overhead storage. If you're so important that you need to dash from the plane get an earlier flight. At least stop the people in the back of the plane from putting their stowage in the front bins. 

Entitled people have made air travel miserable.

Bill W