Sign in to follow this  
btacon

PMDG 737 Not Following The Magenta Line? Check This!

Folks, short and sweet. This was consistently happening to me. Plane would suddenly lose focus and leave the track of the magenta line. Three times in a row this morning for me. I’ve been flying PMDG Iron for well over ten years and I own all the Boeings so while I thought it could have been user error, I did not see how so I posted on PMDG’s forum and a PMDG representative responded within minutes. He provided the fix action and it was not what I expected and I bet that will be the case for you. Exchange from PMDG forum below:  

-B

Losing the track on the Magenta Line

Today, 19:09

This is a standard FP I use for testing: KPDX/10R LAVAA6 PDT J16 BIL DCT IOW DCT RAMSE FRIZN5 KSDF/SPYRS.R17RZ. Alt 37,000 ft. Aircraft is the BSDF, 0 pax, 30K cargo, 27,223 lbs fuel.

Departure uneventful, plane starts to track fine but at COSUG, it misses the left turn to OKKOR. The aircraft is now about 10 mil east Magenta when AP starts to track left again to next fix, LAVAA. it appears that t will be successful but halfway to the fix t again last loses focus and enters a right turn holding pattern and just spins, where it remains as I type this.

im not necessarily looking for a solution (but happy for one given if available) but more so submitting this as a bug report. I have been flying the PMDG product line for over 10 years now. I have all the Boeings and am more than capable of successfully planning and flying a trip like this. It could have been me, but I don’t think so. I also have it all on video as well as a similar instance of loss f track from yesterday that I reported in a comment.

I am really enjoying this plane but not so much when it loses its mind!

-Braun Tacon

UPDATE: This seems repeatable. I just flew the route again and once more the plane flys right thru COSUG, turns left towards LAVAA and heads directly towards the fix. The plane seems to capture LAVVA and begins a right turn to track the Magenta but alas it never regains the flight path track and now once again is spinning on space.

UPDATE 2: Heading is no longer effective. As has been reported here already by others the heading control no longer has any impact over the planes direction. HDG SEL shows over the HSI as it should but the plane remains in a 30 degree right bank holding at a point in space.

Dear sir,

Please sign with your full name when participating here as per the forum rules.

My guess is your aircraft needs a refill !

Have a look here:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...465#post182465

RESOLVED: Armen, whilst you may have been incorrect concerning my required signature you were SPOT ON concerning Hydraulics Failure. Did as you suggested and sure enough, 1 ACTIVE FAILURE. Hydraulics needing refilled! Flying the same route now and all systems nominal and behavior is as expected. 

Thanks and may I suggest that the PMDG knowledge team get a FAQ entry up sooner than later? Having this failure occur in less than five hours flight Total Time was surprising and unexpected. A KB article will probably be useful as I suspect there will be lots of folks like me.
  • Like 2

Glad I could be of assistance!

Funnily it happened to me before beta testing began .... I lived with it for two weeks thinking its a known issue, so didn't bring it up with the team.  Then Beta 1 came out and while still happening to me, no one in the Beta team were reporting this, so I finally asked one of the Devs and he was like ... you need to top her up!!!  I was WOW really?  It's amazing that this sort of functional depth was built into this incredible machine!

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Does this happen even with failures turned off?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

2 hours ago, flyinion said:

Does this happen even with failures turned off?

Dunno. I’ll go check if I have on or off and report back if not already answered by someone else.

My experience is with the default PMDG configurations. While they are wildly configurable I have not touched a single setting…yet. My P3D versions are well tinkered with. 
-B

UPDATE:  Ok, I looked and that is what I suggest you do flyinion. It seems “failures” are by default off, at least for me, the “maintenance” process is neither on or off, it just is there or so it seems.  What that means to me is that at times your plane will need maintenance, like filling up hydraulic fluid for example.😁  

All pretty kewl stuff and  more than I expected. So far it seems to mirror my P3d 737-700 exactly in look, feel, operation, features and best of all UI, user interface. I know how to work PMDG Boeings as well as if I was a line pilot for a real airline. From the moment I first loaded up the MSFS PMDG 737 I knew EXACTLY what I was doing.  Pretty sweet if you ask me. 
-B

Edited by btacon

2 hours ago, chiswick72 said:

It's amazing that this sort of functional depth was built into this incredible machine

It shouldn't be. IMHO, this is taking reality a bit too far. IRL, (at least in the Air Force, where I come from)  the Mechanics take care of this kind of stuff...

And if your system went dry in just 5 hours you have a serious leak somewhere! Check the outside of the aircraft for a big red streak!!

Edited by b1bmsgt
  • Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)