Sign in to follow this  
ppo

Stutter Experiment - Can I ask you to join in?

Hi Howard,"I installed treesX 2.1"I see a few folk are using these replacement textures. Might be worth trying in light of your favourable experience. However, if autogen is contributing to this problem, why then do I still see similar levels of stuttering when the autogen is switched off?Mike

Guest abulaafia

most likely the textures are blurred because you set unlimited. I have a test flight set up that yields avg FPS of 56 on my system when Unlimited. no stutters, no annoying textures loading. but lots of blurries. when I set FPS limited to 29, all the textures are crisp and properly loaded. on some flights I set FPS a bit higher. it's a trade off. find your sweet spot. or G-spot as it were, in aviation :)==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

Guest abulaafia

BTW, seeing that you are using an ATI card. Try enabling block writes. Get ATI Tray Tools - Tweaks - standard tweaks, System tab. Remove check marks everywhere except WMV Acceleration. Try again. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

Hi Martin,"Try enabling block writes."No discernible difference noted, I'm afraid :(Mike

Hi Martin,"Try enabling block writes."No discernible difference noted, I'm afraid :(Mike

Guest abulaafia

new 7.5 drivers are out. the AA issues are corrected, and I think the sim runs a bit smoother. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

Hi Marten,"new 7.5 drivers are out. the AA issues are corrected, and I think the sim runs a bit smoother"Can you please confirm that this is also the case using my "Stutter_test" configuration file?Thanks,Mike

Guest chrishunt

Mike,Do you have any VFR scenery installed such as Horizon's Generation X?The reason I ask is that I have severe stutters with Gen X installed but none without it (using SP1). My stutters are considerabley worse than yours but i don't have serious issues with blurring.I have spent hours trying various settings and tweaks without success - I've now given up on Gen X until a solution is found.My base specs:AMD XP 4000 (stock)2Gb RAMnVidia 6800GS (256Mbytes)FSX and VFR Scenery insalled on separate SATA volumes.Regards,Chris

Guest Argentum68

Hmm... I got onto this thread because I was getting some kind of visual "stuttering" myself- particularly in replays. But in my case with a constant zoom (tail view at 0.89 zoom) it looks like textures are moving back & forth, changing zoom (same with the plane). It's extremely jarring and is clearly something in the 3D system- not just a periodic hard drive access (or something else). Leaves me wishing my playback were as good as your stuttering video. :( This is with photoscenery (Megascenery SoCal, summer, daytime), as are the blurries I get (other thread) doing a KSAN approach. My settings are very close to BlueBaron's, but I have yet done a from-scratch SP1 install.Eventually I need to get around to cleaning everything up and doing a fresh install... at the moment I think have already spent more time messing around with configuration than I have actually flying.

Hi Chris,"Do you have any VFR scenery installed such as Horizon's Generation X?"Yes, I have the complete package installed. This has been mentioned elsewhere in as much as FSX, for some illogical reason, references files far remote from the area you are currently flying. When the numbers of these files is in multiples of thousands then it is perhaps not surprising that we are seeing a performance hit in terms of stuttering and also, for many people, failure of textures to sharpen up near to the a/c.I unchecked all of Horizon's scenery in the library and also unchecked the 2 areas I have been interested in and have built up while using TileProxy.I agree the sim does seem noticeably smoother in operation and I found I could skim across the landscape in the Extra with Autogen at Normal and LOD Radius at Medium with minimal stuttering and the texture catchup was quite swift. Frame rates pegged at 20.I am using the GenReloaded Textures: [PHOTOREALISTIC Buildings for FSX] fsxbdgs.zip and TreeX (Quality textures) treex_v2.1.zip with the following settings:TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000As a bonus, I re-enabled my local area cultivated over many sessions by TileProxy (currently this texture folder contains 51,105 bitmap files) and was pleasantly surprised to see the highest resolution textures loading and displaying quite quickly. Since SP1 I have been bedevilled by persistent blurriness of ground textures while using TileProxy so this may signal an improvement in the situation. Note: TileProxy was not running during this experiment so I will need to test further.All in all I am encouraged by these developments. If I can eliminate the VFR Photoreal Scenery files from the equation (via the scenery library) while flying elsewhere then, for me, that would be an acceptable workaround. I am perhaps fortunate in that I have always had good performance while using Horizon's Scenery - nice sharp textures with litle or no stuttering and frame rates held at 30.Thanks Chris for your contribution. It gave me the necessary nudge to experiment a little more :)Cheers!Mike

Guest chrishunt

Glad to help Mike. All you need now is some good VFR scenery for Scotland and you'll be all set (hopefully without the stutters). There's a blog by Torgo 3000 that acknowledges that MS still have a lot to do with respect to performance - see blog here http://blogs.technet.com/torgo3000/archive...rmance-art.aspxRegards,Chris

Hi Chris,"All you need now is some good VFR scenery for Scotland and you'll be all set"Oh I wish :9 We do have, however, Iain Gallacher's Scotflight for FSX to look forward to. I believe he is proposing to release in stages - I think he said the first will be covering the Western Isles.Meantime, I can content myself by exploring my home area south of Edinburgh courtesy of Christian Buchner's excellent TileProxy:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/173475.jpgI have a relatively slow broadband connection by today's standards - live too far away from our local exchange - but once all the area tiles have been cached (takes a while to achieve) I can run without TP and the results are pretty good on my rig which, granted, ain't the latest and greatest, but performs quite nicely nevertheless.Regards,MikeEdit: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo), 2GB Crucial PC3200 DDR400 Ram 3-3-3-8 (2T)(Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.1 WHQL), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL), Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c (with 04/2007 update)