Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Windh

The desert thing...

Hi. Still flying FS9 on my old system... Just wondering.. Has MS come up with an update or patch regarding the "Desert Problem" yet?(the fact that 75% of the globe looks like a desert, so I

That is not the case anymore.In fact the scenery(my view anyway)is MUCH better, in fact the default scenery(in the areas i have been in anyway)is now is a great deal better then my FS9 scenery with FSGlobal SE installed.FSX is fab i just which i could run it smoothly and if and when this becomes possible its going to be a good and long runner like FS9 .IN my humble opinion.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Solution to desert thing.1. Buy XClass addons2. Fly in Spring.The FSX default textures are seriously in need of a re-work to get rid of that cartoonish look. GEPro for FSX should hopefully take care of that.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Paul Middleton

>Solution to desert thing.>>1. Buy XClass addons>2. Fly in Spring.>3. Avoid anywhere south of France / Northern Italy / Slovenia (if in Europe), or else get a plane with skis and go sand-skiing down the dunes on the slopes of the Italian Apennines. ;-)Seriously, even with Xclass it's a problem in many places. Yet it seems so simple to fix - use an alpine meadow texture to replace that sandy one.

I dont no what this desert business is.I havent seen any just a huge improvement in the scenery overall.If there is a reason not to try FSX for me it would be a performance one not a scenery one ie passenger jet flying is just not smooth enough for me.Overall FSX is a huge improvment on FS9(and that is a great sim of course)its just that it does not quite fly smoothly enough yet(for me)and thats whats so frustrating,its so close now but just not quite right YET!:) Ever so humbly of courseCHEERS Andy

>I dont no what this desert business is.There is too much sand all over the world. Go to Norway for instance and you will see all (midland-)mountains are covered with sand... It's awfull. And it is STILL a problem!

>>I dont no what this desert business is.>>There is too much sand all over the world. Go to Norway for>instance and you will see all (midland-)mountains are covered>with sand... It's awfull. And it is STILL a problem!OkayI may try a trip up the fjords and take a look.cheers Andy

As a interm, you can always try Adam Mills texture replacement sets -or try my texture swap batch progs. I did two of them, one to address the mountains, and the other for the usa deserts.Here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...D=fsx&Go=SearchI think FSX looks pretty darn good now with some texture/landclass paintwork, thus I'm really enjoying it now. I sure don't miss those deserts ... Valdez, AK (with UT Port & texture mod)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/172748.jpgRegards'Garett

I thought it was mentioned by MS, that they weren't going to fix the landclass/texture issues. I swore I read that somewhere here a while ago.

I agree Funnily enough i was in that area yesterday(Sim of course:-) and i think mountains are now the best i ve seen so far ,they really are getting much more pointed and jagged.While i am at it the wet runways are excellent too.And also while i am at it i do like the boats with there wakes good stuff.I just hope i can afford dx10 cards etc etc when they become available.I suspect the manufacturers will know how keen we are for performance improvements and will charge accordingly.BE cheaper to be a crack addict.cheers Andy

Yuo are correct. They didn't fix it.

No, as I stated in my blog ages ago we did not touch the landclass data in SP1.As others have stated, its the fall textures that show this the most so switching to spring/summer seems to take care of it.And, again as others have stated, 3rd party landclass fixes all of it.