Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rayed

HiFi release TWO new products for FSX

Guest Rayed

While I have no doubts this addon is very good product (I have been long time AS user), the price tag is unacceptable for me. I'll never pay a price of full game for an addon which covers maybe 25% (I am giving credit to clouds and supposedly good quality of the product;) ) of the game.Hopefully there will be some competition and/or price drop soon.

>While I have no doubts this addon is very good product (I>have been long time AS user), the price tag is unacceptable>for me. I'll never pay a price of full game for an addon which>covers maybe 25% (I am giving credit to clouds and supposedly>good quality of the product;) ) of the game.>>Hopefully there will be some competition and/or price drop>soon.Surely if you always fly with real weather it covers 100% of the game. :-hah

>While I have no doubts this addon is very good product (I>have been long time AS user), the price tag is unacceptable>for me. I'll never pay a price of full game for an addon which>covers maybe 25% (I am giving credit to clouds and supposedly>good quality of the product;) ) of the game.>>Hopefully there will be some competition and/or price drop>soon.It seems to be worth it to me. AND you can buy ASX only, dont have to get XGI'm sure a LOT of labor and work (from years past as well to get to know the territory) went into this.25% coverage; is that what FSX is worth without ASX ?my opinion, and yups I got the ASX/GX bundleal

>Surely if you always fly with real weather it covers 100% of>the game. :-hah actually real weather from FSX itself does not cover much of the game...wheras ASX covers it right to the horizon...

Guest Rayed

>>covers maybe 25% (I am giving credit to clouds and>supposedly>>good quality of the product;) ) of the game.>>>>Hopefully there will be some competition and/or price drop>>soon.>>Surely if you always fly with real weather it covers 100% of>the game. :-hah Well, of course it's my personal opinion and I have no doubts that it is worth the money for some people. I'd buy it right away at $40 price tag.

Guest weeniemcween

While admitting the price is steep, considering how important realistic and varied weather dynamics - such as currents, wakes, turbulence and sheer - are to a flying sim (not to mention graphical depiction) I think it is worth it. You also should give a little leeway since Hifisim is an independent developer and won't sell as many "units" as Microsoft did. Notwithstanding, I think people tend to give too much license to developers charging what pleases them. But in this case, we're talking about the core experience.

Guest PPSFA

"Well, of course it's my personal opinion and I have no doubts that it is worth the money for some people. I'd buy it right away at $40 price tag."Active Sky X $44.99X Graphix $34.99Both as bundle $ 69.99

Guest Rayed

>While admitting the price is steep, considering how important>realistic and varied weather dynamics - such as currents,>wakes, turbulence and sheer - are to a flying sim (not to>mention graphical depiction) I think it is worth it. You also>should give a little leeway since Hifisim is an independent>developer and won't sell as many "units" as Microsoft did.>Notwithstanding, I think people tend to give too much license>to developers charging what pleases them. But in this case,>we're talking about the core experience. I strongly agree with everything what you said. (btw. I'd pay $40-45$ price tag for the bundle, not just for one or another). Honestly, I am torn away because the addon is made by very good developer, but at the same time, if we all start to jump on bandwagon, we will see $100 addons soon.If, in a year the market decides that an addon is worth the price of the full game, I'll buy it.Anyway, I don't want to spoil the thread and I'll just shut up :), don't forget to post screens :).

Guest guest123

Ive read on other forums that you can see the ground when your high above the overcast or fog. Hope this is not the case.

Ah, well, it all depends on what you like. I myself usually always fly with the same custom weather (a blue sky with some stratus and cirrus and no cumulus because I don't like the looks of it in FSX). So... the choice is simple for me: no ASX. I can get what I want EASILY and pretty nice looking too with the default FSX-textures. X-Graphics looks nicer but it doesn't cover enough for me. I want landtextures too. So I simply wait for Ground Environment! The nice thing about all these addons is that you can choose the one you like. ;)But I do also think that prices are getting a bit too high... although that also depends on what you think is important. If weather is IT for you, I can imagine (well....) you would pay 45 bucks for it. I find that way too much. Heck, I even wouldn't pay that for an addon aircraft! But if someone would release high-res photographic scenery for Norway, I'd pay 100 bucks for it without blinking me eyes. ;)Everyone has different needs, so to speak. And don't forget that although we all play this game, everyone does so for a different reason! FSX isn't a game that has one linear story mode! You can make it the world you want and do what you want there! Like to see clouds? Like to see FMC's up close? Like bush flying? Big airliners? VFR? IFR? You name it and it's there. In short: FSX might not be for you what it is for others. And so we will ALWAYS think different FSX and addons. But that's not bad or a problem. That's the GREAT thing about FSX!!! :)

Guest Hocking

As we start getting more Add-Ons competing with each other, prices will start falling back to normal levels. We are going to get a competing Add-On for ASX/GraphicX within the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see how they set their pricing. I am holding off to see how things play out over the next few weeks. I do have to admit that I never thought I would have FSX without Active Sky weather, but this may very well happen depending on what we see come out later this month.

NO WAY the price of ASX/XG will drop! That would be very bad move towards the customers who bought the product now! Unless FE/GE will be a lot cheaper... But I think it will be in the same price-department. Why ask for less if everyone is so willing to lay down big bucks so quickly...

Guest Hocking

You are probably right about Active Sky not dropping their price so soon. It would be a terrible PR move. I have not idea what the GE/FE guys are going to do with pricing. It appears as if they will have a three tier software package that you can pick and choose what you want. You could either buy GE alone, FE alone, or GE and FE with an integrated weather package.Price range will probably fall anywhere from $35 on the low end, all the way up to $55+ on the high end. It depends on how much they want to compete with the Active Sky people.

I learned long time ago that in this simulation hobby of ours with a few exceptions the price is usually direct reflection of the effort that went into the development and the final quality. 'You get what you pay for' rules with a notable exception of some great freeware products. ASX is a multi-faceted product that touches a few different areas (most people tend to overlook its very rich airport environment) and considering all the pieces and what it delivers both in quantity and quality is probably well priced. Some folks frown at single airports being priced at around $40 (Portland, FlightScenery) but when you look at the final product you see it is well worth the price. My $0.02.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg