Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Is this sim ready yet?

I have been out of MSFS for 6-7 months, mostly because I was spending way too much time tweaking and far less time flying. Instead of getting frustrated I just went and did other things. Today I installed the latest patch from steam and noticed the performance of the UI was considerably better than I had remembered. So my question is, is this sim sorted out right now? If not, what major areas still need work? I had started to mess with AI traffic, but that still had issues. Weather was still sporadic. And the CTDs were sort of random, but impacted specific aircraft and airports. 

I have an interest in the 146, possibly the MD-82 and the PMDG 737. But I really don't want to start down that road until I know things are in a somewhat stable state. 

Can anyone give me a quick summary of the state of this sim? Thank you! 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

I fly around 15 flights a week. Zero problems. Most stable sim I have ever owned and I have been flying sims for over 30 years. 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I fly around 15 flights a week. Zero problems. Most stable sim I have ever owned and I have been flying sims for over 30 years. 

second that. 5 flights today in the PMDG and best sim experience ever

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Dawn and Dusk flights alway blow me away, just breath taking lighting within the sim.

• Like 6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

26 minutes ago, RobJC said:

And the CTDs were sort of random, but impacted specific aircraft and airports. 

Probably because you have add-ons that are incompatible with MSFS, especially if you have been gone for 8 months.  I would backup your Community folder (or just run Add On Linker), and restart MSFS and it will create an empty Community folder.

Alternatively, when you CTD, MSFS will give you the option of running in Safe Mode.  Run in Safe Mode and figure out what add-ons you have that are incompatible with SU9.

• Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Okay thanks guys. I will dive back in. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

Can anyone give me a quick summary of the state of this sim

Some will say it's the most stable platform they ever had, some might say otherwise. Best approach is for you to give it a try and decide for yourself, your pc specs should handle the sim with good eyecandy without sacrificing fps.

Im my case, I can say the sim has now been quite stable for a long while now and has progressed enough for me to enjoy every single flight, more so with the recent release of PMDG's 737-700 which is quite amazing if I may say.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

It's getting pretty good, IMHO.  I use it exclusively in VR and now the JF BAe146 and the PMDG 737 are out to fill the detailed airliner gap, it is very good indeed.  It is certainly way beyond any hopes or expectations I had about immersive and comprehensive sims only a few years ago.

Yes - there are still occasional workaround issues, yes, the update procedure is bizarre, and yes, VR is still playing catch up - but I haven't booted up X-plane 11 in many months, even though there are (paid for) aircraft I have on there that I am dearly hoping will come to MSFS someday... 

And yes - there is, as with all flight simulators, a need for time spent to research and try out the different settings to suit your particular hardware capability - but there is a myriad of decent 'how to' videos to help and there are forums like this to help during that climb up the learning curve. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

PMDG is here, Fenix on the way. Sim is stable, performance is very good. I just uninstalled XP11 after many years of using the XP platform. Freed up about 1 TB by finally deleting the Orthos!

• Like 3

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

It was frustrating in the beginning, but In my case I’m now truly enjoying it. I’ve dropped all other sims and exclusive to msfs. BTW I have both the 737 and BAE 146 and they are both fantastic! 

• Like 3

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

Can anyone give me a quick summary of the state of this sim? Thank you! 

Best sim ever. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The only big hole I see still and it is really not on Asobo to fix, lack of an easy way to get AI models in the sim for Vatsim,  offline flying, etc... The AIG OIC is way to long of a process. I wish for something like FLAI we had for P3D.

• Like 1

Eric 

I just got back into it 4 days ago I updated everything and have had a few really good flights. I was away for 4 months it really seems clearer. The visuals seem nicer. 

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I concur 👍

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!