Sign in to follow this  
Bigbluss

27" to 32"

Hey all,

I've got a 27" monitor which I use for MSFS and I'm considering upgrading to a 32" (I don't want to go bigger due to desk space!). I also don't want to go to 4k for performance reasons. I'm considering going from my 27" 1440p monitor to a 32" 1440p monitor. I think that'll be a good deal larger for simming (given how blown away I was on on me 24" to 27" upgrade a few years ago!) but my concern is that I've read a bit about pixel density. Some have said its barely noticable, but I'd like to confirm - does anyone here have a 32" monitor at 1440p, and if so, does it look good for MSFS?

1 hour ago, Bigbluss said:

Hey all,

I've got a 27" monitor which I use for MSFS and I'm considering upgrading to a 32" (I don't want to go bigger due to desk space!). I also don't want to go to 4k for performance reasons. I'm considering going from my 27" 1440p monitor to a 32" 1440p monitor. I think that'll be a good deal larger for simming (given how blown away I was on on me 24" to 27" upgrade a few years ago!) but my concern is that I've read a bit about pixel density. Some have said its barely noticable, but I'd like to confirm - does anyone here have a 32" monitor at 1440p, and if so, does it look good for MSFS?

Thanks 🙂

Yes I went from a very high quality 27" Samsung to a 32" and it took me 2 months to go for it, as I thought it might not be money well spent.

How wrong I was, The second I booted up the PC the first time looking at it I said out loud...OMG!, its stunning, simply stunning. The pixel density is nothing to worry about. Unless you want to stick your face 3" from the screen. I sit close around  16" away.

The one thing a saw at first was the curve but after 2 hours of use I do not see it anymore and now a flat screen/my old screen I took to work looks terrible. The one thing above all is the quility of the image, I set it to 240Hz and in the Nvida CP set Ultra for refeash MSFS and that = 😛

So go for it. Just get a good one it will last years.

This is mine. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-32-odyssey-g7-lc32g75tqsrxxu-2560x1440-va-240hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-curved-gaming-monitor-mo-246-sa.html

Also like you I did not want the huge FPS hit that 4k brings. With my 3080 I run Render scale set to 120. within msfs for the extra AA. My son came round a week after I got it, looked at it and ordered one the next day.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Yes I went from a very high quality 27" Samsung to a 32" and it took me 2 months to go for it, as I thought it might not be money well spent.

How wrong I was, The second I booted up the PC the first time looking at it I said out loud...OMG!, its stunning, simply stunning. The pixel density is nothing to worry about. Unless you want to stick your face 3" from the screen. I sit close around  16" away.

The one thing a saw at first was the curve but after 2 hours of use I do not see it anymore and now a flat screen/my old screen I took to work looks terrible. The one thing above all is the quility of the image, I set it to 240Hz and in the Nvida CP set Ultra for refeash MSFS and that = 😛

So go for it. Just get a good one it will last years.

This is mine. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-32-odyssey-g7-lc32g75tqsrxxu-2560x1440-va-240hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-curved-gaming-monitor-mo-246-sa.html

Also like you I did not want the huge FPS hit that 4k brings. With my 3080 I run Render scale set to 120. within msfs for the extra AA. My son came round a week after I got it, looked at it and ordered one the next day.

Thanks mate based on your recommendation I bought the model down from yours - the g5 model. Arriving tomorrow!

Out of interest, does it look okay at around 45fps? Reason I ask is because sometimes at busy payware I drop down to 45fps.usually get around 60 though. I know the monitor is built for 144hz so hopefully it won't look awful!

Thanks for the advice :)

Edit: just seen your post. Too late I guess.

@Bigbluss, you don’t mention a budget or what graphics card you have.

There isn’t a huge choice of 32” 16:9 non-4K monitors. They tend to be curved and the panel may not be the highest quality. IPS is the best if that’s what you want. BenQ make very good monitors but my PD3200U wouldn’t be suitable as it’s 4K.

Look for those that support 30Hz. They will give you very smooth performance in any sim. Sure, panning is less smooth than 60Hz but you’ll not get 60fps in complex areas so stuttering will be more obvious.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Bigbluss said:

Out of interest, does it look okay at around 45fps?

Thanks for the advice 🙂

Yes it does and I like the curve.  I know that some people don't.

• Like 1

Bill  N7IBG     

I'll always recommend "go as big and as fast (Hz) as your budget allows). 

I have never gone higher than 1080p. It's wasted on my 50yo declining eyesight....

I recently went for a curved LG 160Hz 34". Since we are all in virtual cockpits now, with TrackIR or VR, screens now become a thing whereas before they were just a screen.

Edited by flyhalf

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I use a 32" and a 24". Text on the 32" screen is far and away easier to read. But video and games iw where the 32" really shines. A trip to the local electronics store really helps, watching games on their displays.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

9 hours ago, Bigbluss said:

Thanks mate based on your recommendation I bought the model down from yours - the g5 model. Arriving tomorrow!

Out of interest, does it look okay at around 45fps? Reason I ask is because sometimes at busy payware I drop down to 45fps.usually get around 60 though. I know the monitor is built for 144hz so hopefully it won't look awful!

Thanks for the advice 🙂

It will look fantastic at 45 FPS, I did run 40FPS locked with RTSS and use TrackIR. But now with 240Hz set and NV CP set low latency to Ultra I can run 30FPS. RTSS set to 31.

Just set it to max 144hz and in the NV CP set low latency to Ultra. Under MSFS

You could try setting at 48 FPS as thats 144/3, I would try RTSS and  try 36fps 144/4, Vsyn turned off in msfs setting. (RTSS set to 37fps as some times it just smooths it out more than the hard fix of what you want 36)

Enjoy!

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 hours ago, Bill Griffith said:

Yes it does and I like the curve.  I know that some people don't.

I hated the curve for the first few hours now I dont even see it and the curve is perfect for your eyes. As you should be sitting close as possable to max out the screen size.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

I have a curved 32" 144hz screen (see sig) and I'm very happy with it - often I set vsync to 20 which leaves me with a perfect 48fps SIM.

it's sat on my desk so I'm fairly close to it - imo 32" is probably the largest you would want to go with this kind of setup. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Thank you guys this is really helpful. So am I right in thinking if I want to cap FPS correctly, I need to either go for 1/2 or 1/3 refresh rate? If so I'll cap to 48fps like you said @hanhamreds. I prefer to keep my GPU cool and quiet when it comes to sims, not much of a benefit of much above around 50fps with the 737 I find 🙂

I've tried every way possable. I think when SU5 came out ( could be wrong) everyone including me found in the sim MSFS Vsyn was the best for butter smooth sim. As you say you need to go 1/2 or a 1/3, in your case 1/3. Within MSFS.

I was setting 120Hz and 1/3 for 40fps as any lower and TrackIR is terrable. TrackIR runs of 120Hz, it should work at 30fps but it was terrable. But, in the last few weeks I read someone reporting RTSS was better at lower FPS blar blar blar, so to cut a long story short I found turning off Vsyn in the sim, I found I could go down to a locked 30 (31 FPS an old trick) using RTSS and as Ive said NV CP set low latency to Ultra. 240Hz, Now 30 FPS is as smooth 90% of the time as 40 FPS was. 

As you righty say "I prefer to keep my GPU cool and quiet when it comes to sims," Not only that it gives you CPU some head room when it need to load/cal stuff. So the cooler you GPU the better and the more head room on your CPU the better. 

I wouuld surgest to try 1/3 becasue it will be great. But I really surgest you DL RTSS and for 144HZ lock FPS to 36 (RTSS lock at 37) and turn off Vsyn in sim, try both and see whats best. If you find like I do that RTSS works just as good your saving a lot of % work on your CPU/GPU.

Anything can happen in tests as every screen and PC is diffrent. GL

Enjoy your day with the G5.

Edited by Nyxx

9 hours ago, flyhalf said:

Since we are all in virtual cockpits now, with TrackIR or VR, screens now become a thing whereas before they were just a screen.

We are? News to me.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I run a 32" 1440p VA screen and it is fine for gaming especially in HDR.

Do not worry too much about IPS unless you also do desktop publishing VA is fine. Go for HDR though if you can manage it.