Sign in to follow this  
enright

Top Gun Maverick is actually... Good?

7 minutes ago, W2DR said:

WNA = Word Not Allowed....Watch this movie at your own risk. Yeech......

OK, so I can be relieved that I can just watch it on Nitflex dvd and have a glass of wine with it! 🍷 or maybe 2 or 3!

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It has been a very long time since I have been to the big screen with the big sound and all that jazz, this one would be fun. Last time I went to a movie would have been in 2019 films like this will draw people back

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

5 hours ago, charliearon said:

OK, so I can be relieved that I can just watch it on Nitflex dvd and have a glass of wine with it! 🍷 or maybe 2 or 3!

There are usually 4 glasses to a bottle. Be prepared to drink the whole thing. And have another bottle in reserve............

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

It has been a very long time since I have been to the big screen

I haven't been to a big screen in over 25 years. I don't have a clue what goes on there these days. All I know is that I don't miss it.

• Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

I haven't been to a big screen in over 25 years. I don't have a clue what goes on there these days. All I know is that I don't miss it.

Wow, 25 years until now? And I thought I rarely went to the movies 😂😂

If there’s something that I’m actually interested in seeing, I don’t mind spending the money to go see it in a theater. The problem for me is that I’m not interested in 99% of the stuff that has come out in the last 15 or so years. I’m not into sci-fi, the alien invasion movies, Dune style stuff, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, StarWars/StarTrek,  Jack-ass, all the Vin Diesel car chase movies, or these movies with over the top action scenes and sound effects. So basically pretty much most of the stuff that’s been out or is coming out I have absolutely no interest in. And the stuff that’s marginally interesting, I just wait to watch it on Prime or Netflix.

Since my wife and I love Europe so much, we tend to watch a lot of European movies at home. Granted she’s fluent in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and French, so she’s can understand what they’re saying, I have to read subtitles, but still enjoy them more than most of the stuff coming out of Hollywood.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

14 hours ago, W2DR said:

Betty and I have only been to one in the last 25 years and walk out of after 20 minutes.

Our film fare comes from old movies we watch on Turner Classic Movies and last night we warched a classic.

I don't know if it is classified as a 'film noir' or not, but it should be.

One good guy in a whistle stop town full of bad guys with a wonderful cast.

Spencer Tracy is the good guy.

Robert Ryan, Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin are the bad guys.

Only one woman in the cast, Ann Francis, who's kind of neutral and there are no romantic interests,

'Bad Day at Black Rock' is one of the great film noirs in my opinion.  

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The last time I saw a movie in the theater, the screen was somewhat smaller than usual and it started with a Netflix logo.  I doubt there were a dozen people in the theater watching the movie.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

4 hours ago, birdguy said:

'Bad Day at Black Rock' is one of the great film noirs in my opinion.  

I agree Noel. It's one of the really good ones. I must have seen it 10 times now and I haven't tired of it yet. Any classic movie fan who hasn't seen this movie is really missing something.

4 hours ago, birdguy said:

Our film fare comes from old movies we watch on Turner Classic Movies

👍 to this.

Movie audiences are kind of rude these days besides, I don't like Tom Cruise and prefer not to put a dollar or two cents or whatever his royalty on a ticket would be in his pocket.

I thought the first Top Gun was rather adolescent if not downright silly. Grumpy Gramps here.

• Like 1

Vic green

4 minutes ago, Patco Lch said:

I don't like Tom Cruise and prefer not to put a dollar or two cents or whatever his royalty on a ticket would be in his pocket.

Why? 

4 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Why? 

Since certain topics are (for good reason) not permitted on the forum, I'll just say a matter of personal opinion and respectfully leave it there. 

• Like 2

Vic green

I'm no Tom Cruise the actor fan.  I just don't care for his style of acting.  I don't know him as a person so there's nothing negative I can say about him.  I know of a religious reason some people I know don't like him but that would have no bearing on my opinion of him.  I most certainly wouldn't turn down an invitation to go flying with him.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Any classic movie fan who hasn't seen this movie is really missing something

Especially watching a one-armed man beat the stuffing out of a bar room tough guy.

Noel

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:23 AM, charliearon said:

Coming to a TV set near me!  It's on my Netflix list! 🍿

Not seeing it on the big screen would be a sin! They don't make movies like this anymore. Real action with no politics or other BS. Tom Cruise is the last real movie star, he even flies his own personal P-51 in the movie. 

I think I had seen the trailer like a year ago and had not really looked into the movie before seeing it. I decided about two hours before to go the theater Friday night because I had nothing else better to do. I figured it would just be a run of the mill action film with me walking away saying "that was cool". I got there early but the theater soon filled up, haven't seen that in 2+ years. A noticeable buzz was in the audience as soon as the movie started with Danger Zone playing. I think someone even yelled YEAH!!!

We all know aviation is hardly ever represented well in Hollywood but this is pretty well done and alot of fun. I like this movie more and more the further I look into it. I will be giving it even more support by seeing it again! 

https://fb.watch/dlk4KgpAS7/

Walking out of the theater I had the need for speed and couldn't wait to dive into the DLC! The DLC makes alot more sense and is more enjoyable after seeing the movie, trust me. Side note, turn the menu music back on 😉

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

This is a rather long read.  But it makes want to go and see the new Maverick movie AND a different, more positive, impression of Tom Cruise.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise

Noel

• Like 2