Sign in to follow this  
enright

Top Gun Maverick is actually... Good?

On 5/29/2022 at 6:04 AM, W2DR said:

I haven't been to a big screen in over 25 years. I don't have a clue what goes on there these days. All I know is that I don't miss it.

Same! I dont have any streaming service either, zero interest.

Here in the UK we have whats called a TV License Fee which actually should be renamed to "BBC Fee" of  because thats what it really is. Anyway you can be exempted from paying that if you can prove you do not use your TV or other devices to watch live BBC programs. I did this and was granted exemption. No problem there I avoid that outfit like the plague!

On 5/31/2022 at 7:49 PM, birdguy said:

This is a rather long read.  But it makes want to go and see the new Maverick movie AND a different, more positive, impression of Tom Cruise.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2022/5/24/23137965/top-gun-maverick-training-tom-cruise

Noel

You wont regret it. I am going to see it for a second time tonight!

The more I look into the making of this movie the more I love it and I have also become a Tom Cruise fan because of it. I have been watching fighter pilot impressions and thoughts on youtube all week, they all really liked it. I recommend watching those videos AFTER seeing the movie. Don't want to spoil it.

Bottom line.. If you are a fan of aviation, support this movie. Go see it on the big screen.

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

12 hours ago, reignman40 said:

You wont regret it. I am going to see it for a second time tonight!

The more I look into the making of this movie the more I love it and I have also become a Tom Cruise fan because of it. I have been watching fighter pilot impressions and thoughts on youtube all week, they all really liked it. I recommend watching those videos AFTER seeing the movie. Don't want to spoil it.

Bottom line.. If you are a fan of aviation, support this movie. Go see it on the big screen.

I’m seeing it tomorrow in IMAX. I was going to try to go the opening weekend but all the good seats sold out quickly. Everyone my wife and I know who’ve seen it said that it was the best movie they seen in a long time. Have seen one bad review yet, which is rare in cinema. Seems that pretty much everyone who’s seen it has enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@reignman40

Ok, so I just got home from seeing it. Agree that it was pretty good. I’d give it a 9 out of 10 score.

I like that they did a very similar opening to the original movie and had some references to parts and characters of the original, as well as using some of the original music scoring. 

That being said, I think they may have overdone re-working the flow of the movie and redoing some similar scenes of the original, like the bar scene at the beginning, the hanger scene where Mav comes in rather than Charlie, the beach football rather than volleyball. I noticed that in some of the flight sequences they were also saying some of the same things from the original. Think I heard “take to me Goose” more than once as well as some other phrases. 

I did like the F-14 sequence at the end and was a nice throw back to the original movie.

Of course there was some cheesy stuff and unrealistic things as well, but it’s a movie and should be expected. If we want a real life take on the subject we’d watch a documentary rather than a Hollywood movie.

In the end, I did enjoy it and my wife really like it and gave it a 10. It was much better than just about any sequel action movie I’ve seen. I definitely watch it again when it’s available to watch at home on Prime and will put closed cations on so I can make out everything that was said. 

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I really enjoyed it…my first visit to a theatre in five years or so?  Figured the opening sequence alone would be worth seeing on the big screen and wasn’t disappointed.

As long as you expect a bit of cheese, and some over the top action, and as a flightsimmer are willing to watch it without nitpicking the aviation stuff, it’s really a fun movie.  Lots of cool little references to the original.  I really liked the approach they took to a sequel separated from the original by decades.

My wife took me for my birthday and I plan to take my dad for Father’s Day.

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

When I first saw the opening sequence I was worried I was on the wrong movie and that they were screening the first Top Gun, I had to check my ticket. (it was during the afternoon with very few people so it didn't seem impossible)

• Like 1

Looks like the film crews got to have some fun filming the movie.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/i-bet-youve-never-seen-a-private-jet-fly-an-approach-to-a-supercarrier-before

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goates said:

We have all done it in Flight Sim at some point... There it is in real life. 🤣

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case