Sign in to follow this  
RobPol471

UK Royal Mail wants fleet of 500 drones to carry mail

Seems reasonable to me. Others are wanting the same. Drone tech is pretty sophisticated now and getting better.

Look at these guys. No GPS required. 😲

Edited by martin-w

Navigating through a dense forest is impressive but how about "snow or rain or heat or gloom of night"?

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

I dont think this is a good idea at all. The mail, which contains a lot of currency, checks, endorsements, sensitive messages, etc....  should be sent in the safest manner possible.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Granted, some of the human delivery personnel might be lacking. I distinctly remember coming home from work and seeing a parcel on my porch. Out in the open for all the world to see. Sure, it was in a non-conspicuous package. But there a $3000 lens for my camera had been sitting all day. Good grief. 

Come to think about it though... had it been dropped by a drone things might have turned out for the worse. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

22 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I dont think this is a good idea at all. The mail, which contains a lot of currency, checks, endorsements, sensitive messages, etc....  should be sent in the safest manner possible.

These aren't the drones you are probably thinking of. They are small conventional aircraft that land in the conventional manner. they are autonomous but a pilot monitors them and can take over. So not that much different to conventional air mail. 

As for the sensitive mail you mention, it already risks being lost through a number of means. Mail gets lost anyway. This shouldn't be any more risky. 

"Safest manner possible"  Trouble is though, the remote regions this is planned for don't have access to the mail service we do. This is intended for remote communities like The Shetlands. 

Edited by martin-w

I agree with most of your points except the mail safety issue. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Youth gangs spray painting government property oughta pay steep fines!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

18 hours ago, RobPol471 said:

I believe the Portuguese Navy, after this first drone takeoff for military purposes, he ... changed his mind about its use!😁

Oh dear, that didn't go too well. Back to the drawing board. 

This is how the US Army dies it... eventually. 🙄

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Oh dear, that didn't go too well. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe it detected and went after a submarine ... 💦  🤿