Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

PMDG 737 - Spoilers and Reverse Thrust

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but it looks like there's some different unconventional mapping going on with the speed brakes and reverse thrust in this bird.  Is there a way to program the speed brake where we can just grab the handle and manipulate it?  Also the same question I'm asking with reverse thrust, can we program it to be accessible like every other jet with reverse thrust in the sim?  Not sure why PMDG took liberties here and made something complicated that didn't need to be complicated (some developers do this thinking it's smart but it throws off basic continuity in the sim in comparison to every other installed aircraft).  Thanks in advance for any help with this.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hello, for the speedbrake i see there is a way to define an axis if you have an yoke.
but when you set an axis, you will have to turn on manualy with axis on landing, so automatic arm maybe not work
i have set speedbrake like PMDG suggest in document PMDG_737_MSFS_Introduction.pdf with keyboard.

for Reverse trust i use keyboard command F2 - so i think its standard in FS?

sorry for maybe bad english. hope it helps.

I do not have Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the thrust reversers in my PMDG planes in P3Dv4 are controlled by left clicking Button 2 on my CH Flightstick Pro joystick, and then holding it down to increase the level of thrust. I then flick the throttle wheel forward and then back to disengage. Can this method be used with the PMDG 737 in Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

8 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I do not have Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the thrust reversers in my PMDG planes in P3Dv4 are controlled by left clicking Button 2 on my CH Flightstick Pro joystick, and then holding it down to increase the level of thrust. I then flick the throttle wheel forward and then back to disengage. Can this method be used with the PMDG 737 in Microsoft Flight Simulator?

If you don't have FS you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.  FS2020's reverse throttle setup leaves allot to be desired let alone what's going on with PMDG.  To your point I don't have a CH FlightStick I have their Yoke that includes the throttle, mixture, and feather lever on top.  There's no way to program it in a special configuration and it's sad you can't setup the reverse like you could using FSUIPC in previous sims.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have a TM warthog it has a pull up and back for reverve thrust. So yes it sound like you could set it up just the same I think its even the same key press as P3D. 

I hope that reply does not disappoint you 😉🙂

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

For the spoiler I easily mapped a lever on my TQ6 and for reverse thrust I mapped the F2 key (Throttle down) to another lever. It works very well.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

This has been discussed widely on both this forum and that of PMDG. Reverse thrust can be implemented by assigning a button to the HOLD THROTTLE REVERSE button. That deploys the engine exhaust reversers at idle power. Continue to hold down that assigned button while increasing thrust as needed. Return to idle and let go of the button to restore normal thrust. Mapping a button to F2 also works.

With regard to the spoilers, just assign an SPOILERS AXIS as is described above. One also should assign a button to TOGGLE ARM SPOILERS to make it easy to arm the automatic deployment of spoilers after landing. One can do that manually within the cockpit, but that does require looking down at a critical moment in the approach. See the Introduction document, p 28.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Hmm , i might have a problem on my end because my B737 throttle has a button action on the spoiler lever for spoilers arm and it "holds" the switch enabled. Not quite sure how to setup when a button is "holding" (or enabled constant)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

i have never liked the key bindings in msfs so i bought  spad.next for all my aircraft controls, the program auto switches when you choose another aircraft so messing around in the menus. takes a little time to get your head around it but theres some really good youtube videos, i have now got the 737 all setup on my tca airbus tq, works perfect 

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but it looks like there's some different unconventional mapping going on with the speed brakes and reverse thrust in this bird.  Is there a way to program the speed brake where we can just grab the handle and manipulate it?  Also the same question I'm asking with reverse thrust, can we program it to be accessible like every other jet with reverse thrust in the sim?  Not sure why PMDG took liberties here and made something complicated that didn't need to be complicated (some developers do this thinking it's smart but it throws off basic continuity in the sim in comparison to every other installed aircraft).  Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

36 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Hmm , i might have a problem on my end because my B737 throttle has a button action on the spoiler lever for spoilers arm and it "holds" the switch enabled. Not quite sure how to setup when a button is "holding" (or enabled constant)

Thanks

Michael Moe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

This is how I set up my TM Warthog, full REV works well.

Flight-Simulator-d-ICrzsfpw-D.png

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Regarding reverse thrust for the PMDG 737 in MSFS, I found that this worked if you have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/throttle quadrant.

Make sure engines are running. Go to Controls menu make sure filter is set to ALL.  Select your flight yoke option. Go to Power Management/Throttle section. Look for "Throttle 1 decrease". Click on empty left hand column, and in window that opens click on search by input. Press down throttle lever (black knob "Z" axis) to indented position. "Z" should appear in left column. Make sure action type is set to "On Press". Validate command and apply and save, Now do exactly the same for "Throttle 2 decrease"

Now go back to the cockpit and depress the throttle, you should see both throttle reverse levers come forward and the main forward levers stay at idle. Just lift the physical lever out of the detent and throttle returns to idle. This method will only give you full reverse thrust but it does the job. I personally couldn't get other suggestions posted on forums to work but I know that some people have had success.

Hope this helps all you Saitek users out there.

Regards,

Mike

****MIKE****

On 5/13/2022 at 8:56 AM, steve 86 said:

i have never liked the key bindings in msfs so i bought  spad.next for all my aircraft controls, the program auto switches when you choose another aircraft so messing around in the menus. takes a little time to get your head around it but theres some really good youtube videos, i have now got the 737 all setup on my tca airbus tq, works perfect 

Just Heads up for others, spad.next is incompatible with alpha India group traffic controller which is a deal breaker for me

Tyson Rose