Sign in to follow this  

Best Aircraft Add-on for FSX?

Guest NYURDRMS

I am thinking of buying a commercial add on for my FSX installation. Can somebody recommend the best add-on payware plane they use? I am looking for something that is challenging with authentic panels. I used to have the PMDG 737 and 747 for FS9, but other than the 1900, I don't think they make anything for FSX yet. Can somebody recommend something similar for FSX?Thanks,Chad

Guest UlfB

Chad,They the PMDG 747 for FSX is in beta. So I wait. Hopefully it'll be released in a couple of weeks.Ulf B

Guest NYURDRMS

That would be perfect, do you really think it will only be a couple of weeks more?Have you, or anybody else tried the "flythemaddog" plane? That looks pretty good.Thanks again,Chad

Seems like the Wilco/Feelthere Airbus don't have much status in the community. Maybe because of a buggy first release and a not very popular distributor ...However

Guest UlfB

Eagle,I read the review. I would appreciate if you could answer some of my questions. Are the bugs mentioned in the review fixed?Is she capable of a realistic autoland? Does LNAV and VNAV mode work OK when flying sids/stars in the FMC? Is the FMC navdatabase worldwide and support sids/stars?Ulf B :-)

I still have some stuff to try before I can answer to all of this. Actually, I am gonna try a flight from Gardermoen to London tonight to test SID/STAR functionality. As for the LNAV I am sure it will work with SID/STAR considering the fact that it follows everything else in the flightplan. But i haven't tested VNAV yet. What I know is that it activates decend (or you can force it in the FMC)*, and it decelerates when it's supoosed to. Also a fully automated landing is possible. The only thing I am not sure about is how to operate the FBW system after touchdown (in the real thing). Should I push the sidebutton on the stick (z) when the nosewheel hit the ground, and then apply reverse thrust?I don't know what bugs that are in question (and I would rather not read the review over again) but if you list them here I can see if I can give you some answers, one by one ...I read somewhere that the fmc doesn't tune in the ILS according to flgtplan, but it does, as long as the runway is selected in the arrival page in the FMC.The nose-drop if you disconnect the AP on approach didn't occur on my flights, maybe it has something to do with FSUIPC.*On the side: I have noticed, both with F1 Maddog, PMDG 737 and this Airbus that if you start decend according to flightplan you never reach target altitude before the approach phase. So I always end up forcing decend some 10-20 miles before the calculated point. Is this normal, or am I douing something wrong?Very exited about how my SID/STAR test will turn out, just have to finish downloading and installing some HiFiSim stuff first :-).Eagle

>I am thinking of buying a commercial add on for my FSX>installation. Can somebody recommend the best add-on payware>plane they use? I am looking for something that is>challenging with authentic panels. I used to have the PMDG>737 and 747 for FS9, but other than the 1900, I don't think>they make anything for FSX yet. Can somebody recommend>something similar for FSX?>Thanks,>ChadI really enjoyed the PMDG 737 in FS9. Sure wish PM would update it for FSX.

Guest NYURDRMS

Me too, that was probably my favorite plane in FS9. I am eagerly awaiting the 747, I didn't realize they were that close with it. I will definately get that one.However, are there any others anybody recommends?

Not an airliner, but a fantastic plane, nevertheless.Real Air Marchettiwww.realairsimulations.com

Bert

Guest Paul Middleton

> Are the bugs mentioned in the review fixed?I have been told by the developer that the major one (for me), the nose-drop when the A/P is disconnected on finals, has been diagnosed, and a fix will be implemented in the next service pack, though I don't have a timescale for that.

Guest NYURDRMS

Anybody flying the Maddog that really likes it?

Ulf,my last flight wasn't a very successful one I must admit, but that might as well be pilot error.I managed to insert SID/STAR in the FMS, and to my knowledge the waypoints looked fine. Speed/Altitudes in the SID/STAR waypoints are highlighted with magenta color in the flightplan. For some reason I couldn't get the vnav managed. I pushed the Alt knob (to give it to the computer, as they say). But all I got was a Idle thrust pitch controlled descend. Maybe I did something wrong along the line, I'll be glad if someone could help me out here.Oh, and regarding an earlier post, I said that I forced the decsend phase from the FMC. That's wrong, I must have been thinking about the app phase ...Eagle

Guest jshyluk

The last jetliner I flew regularly in MSFS was the PMDG 737NG. The Overland aircraft don't have complex flight systems, but they do have the best models and textures, in my opinion. The JustFlight F-Light planes fall somewhere inbetween.If memory serves, there was indeed a fault in the PMDG 737NG FMC that caused it to descend improperly. The fault got remedied in the payware add-on pack, and the FMC got overhauled and improved for the 747. Still, there was never a free fix for the original 737. That's the aircraft I would like to see updated for FSX the most, as I preferred it vastly over the 747. My favourite FSX aircraft, though, is the Aerosoft BeaverX. For me, it's reason enough to leave the heavies in the hangar. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

Guest UlfB

Eagle, thanks for the info :-)Ulf B

Guest LSflyguy

The final FSX beta for the Level-D 767 is supposedly in testing. It should be out fairly soon. The FS9 (and previous) versions of this aircraft garnered numerous awards and it has something of a cult following among users. In my opinion it's the single most accurate passenger aircraft that's ever been designed for flight simulator. Based on the developers' previous track record I expect the FSX version to be outstanding. I'm sure there will be an announcement on AVSIM's front page when the FSX version is released, or you can check the forums at: www.leveldsim.com