Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

PMDG and Maddog performance question

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the PMDG 737 and the Maddog.

Performance is fine in most situations but im curious if any of you can share what performance you are getting with either or both aircraft.

When im at FSDT KORD and Flytampa KLAS and asobo’s handmade KJFK, in both airplanes, im getting around low 20s fps and at times dips into the high teens. Stuttering at times too.

At Flightbeams KDEN. I have no performance issues. 

During these slow downs, my GPU is getting worked but usually in the green but my main thread in DX11 is getting SLAMMED….mid high 40ms range.

I’ve noticed the same numbers using PMDGs DC-6.

Im interested in any ideas you all may have on how to improve performance and am really curious to know if my CPU is just to old for this new era of simming.

Here are my specs:

i7-8700k OCed to 4.8GHz

32 gigs of RAM

3080 for the gpu.

SU9 build for the sim and settings high and some ultra. The sliders are at 150 and the resolution factor is 100% at 4k.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Hello everyone,

Performance is fine in most situations but im curious if any of you can share what performance you are getting with either or both aircraft.

When im at FSDT KORD and Flytampa KLAS and asobo’s handmade KJFK, in both airplanes, im getting around low 20s fps and at times dips into the high teens. Stuttering at times too.

During these slow downs, my GPU is getting worked but usually in the green but my main thread in DX11 is getting SLAMMED….mid high 40ms range.

Im interested in any ideas you all may have on how to improve performance and am really curious to know if my CPU is just to old for this new era of simming.

Here are my specs:

i7-8700k OCed to 4.8GHz

32 gigs of RAM

3080 for the gpu.

SU9 build for the sim and settings high and some ultra. The sliders are at 150 and the resolution factor is 100% at 4k.

I will tell you the truth but you won't like it. Your CPU is holding your 3080 back. It's not fast enough to drive it to the point where your FPS will get better. The trust is that MSFS is very cpu intensive but add the 3080 on top of it and yes Mainthread limited is what you will see all day. 

That being said. Asobo KJFK is pretty heavy when photogrammettry is active. I can get around 35fps while at the terminal but that's with an AMD 5800X3D which is the kings of FPS in MSFS. If I go into an airport like CYVR, I get 60fps or more with the same graphical settings.  If you want more FPS in the DC-6, enable dev mop and check NanoVG XML option. That will give you another 10-15fps. 

This is an example of what I am getting in the Maddog MD-82 with my setup. This is all because my CPU is the best on the market for MSFS. If you really want to take advantage of the great GPU you have, Either buy an Intel 12900KS or switch to an AMD 5800X3D. You will get more FPS on AMD than Intel.

x2Vo4OV.jpg

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

How can this be? Im on an old 3 year old asus rog 703gi gaming laptop (1080 card) i9 (maybe i9 is the key) and I run fs2020 on ultra default sliders all the way, pmdg 737 gives me locked 39 everywhere.... no stutter.... far better than the example on a newer pc.... and I am on a laptop!!

8 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

This is an example of what I am getting in the Maddog MD-82 with my setup. This is all because my CPU is the best on the market for MSFS. If you really want to take advantage of the great GPU you have, Either buy an Intel 12900KS or switch to an AMD 5800X3D. You will get more FPS on AMD than Intel.

Hey Turtle, is that at 4k?

Matt, I have a 6 year old I7-6700k build and 2 year old 2080 Ti- The Cpu is a 9% bottleneck for what my card can do.

Still, MSFS and the Maddog run great at 4k on my Sony Bravia flatscreen- locked at 30p fps.

1 minute ago, skully said:

Hey Turtle, is that at 4k?

Matt, I have a 6 year old I7-6700k build and 2 year old 2080 Ti- The Cpu is a 9% bottleneck for what my card can do.

Still, MSFS and the Maddog run great at 4k on my Sony Bravia flatscreen- locked at 30p fps.

it's 3440x1440p. If you are gaming at 4K in MSFS, you will be GPU bottleneck before CPU. 

Edited by fogboundturtle

Ok thanks, my system runs so well I just don't see the need right now to upgrade the cpu.

Any newer cpu won't work on my mobo anyway so it would have to new build.

6 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

it's 3440x1440p. If you are gaming at 4K in MSFS, you will be GPU bottleneck before CPU. 

Ill quote your smaller response. First and foremost thanks for your honest response. Thats kind of what I figured. I am running 4k too.

With your hardware, what area and airplane combo do you see the worst performance and what is said performance for said area?

Matt kubanda

2 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Ill quote your smaller response. First and foremost thanks for your honest response. Thats kind of what I figured. I am running 4k too.

With your hardware, what area and airplane combo do you see the worst performance and what is said performance for said area?

KJFK at the gate is pretty harsh. 35-40fps on the ground. As soon as you taxi away from the terminal I go back to 50fps.  PMDG DC-6 is the worst if you don't use the NanoVG XML option. 

I have the same issue. Also a 3080. Settings are set to balance the CPU with GPU. Many others are having performance issues on the ground post SU9. I’m only at 2K resolution. 

Edited by Hatch76

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

16 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

KJFK at the gate is pretty harsh. 35-40fps on the ground. As soon as you taxi away from the terminal I go back to 50fps.  PMDG DC-6 is the worst if you don't use the NanoVG XML option. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Matt kubanda

14 minutes ago, Hatch76 said:

I have the same issue. Also a 3080. Settings are set to balance the CPU with GPU. Many others are having performance issues on the ground post SU9. I’m only at 2K resolution. 

Funny you say thst about being on the ground. The second i get off the ground at any airport, my performance shoots up to mid 40s FPS and my main thread takes a big rest.

It sounds like this is not just happening to me then? 

• Upvote 1

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Hello everyone,

Here are my specs:

i7-8700k OCed to 4.8GHz

32 gigs of RAM

3080 for the gpu.

Sounds like you might be dealing with the world update photogrammetry bug. Try deleting the world update photogrammetry cities. They are individual files in the content manager and only a few hundred kb's each, so easy to do. Make sure to restart your sim and see if that helps. It's especially apparent when flying in North America. Merely having the photogrammetry cities installs halves my performance.

I posted this over on the hardware forum. Thought you guys might find it interesting. I apologize the test below does not consider the Maddog or the PMDG 737 as the Maddog had just come out and the PMDG 737 wasn't out yet. I can redo the test with both of these aircraft if any of you are interested in the results.

I have a 3080Ti paired with an Ryzen 5950X. (Full specs in my signature) I switched out the 5950X for a 5800X3D and saw a nice performance gain. 

MSFS 2020 with 5950X at 4K resolution. FlyByWire A320 parked at KJFK on RWY 31L. 12:00pm scattered clouds.

05-05-2022, 20:40:53 FlightSimulator.exe benchmark completed, 1297 frames rendered in 33.093 s
                     Average framerate  :   39.1 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   38.0 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   39.7 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   33.4 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   29.4 FPS

MSFS 2020 with 5800X3D at 4K resolution. FlyByWire A320 parked at KJFK on RWY 31L. 12:00pm scattered clouds.

05-05-2022, 22:39:39 FlightSimulator.exe benchmark completed, 1337 frames rendered in 31.656 s
                     Average framerate  :   42.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   38.2 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   43.3 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   35.1 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   17.4 FPS

MSFS 2020 with 5950X at 4K resolution. FlyByWire A320 low flight over Manhattan. 12:00pm scattered clouds.

05-05-2022, 20:45:43 FlightSimulator.exe benchmark completed, 1780 frames rendered in 33.453 s
                     Average framerate  :   53.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   42.3 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   57.6 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   32.7 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   16.9 FPS

MSFS 2020 with 5800X3D at 4K resolution. FlyByWire A320 low flight over Manhattan. 12:00pm scattered clouds.

05-05-2022, 22:44:07 FlightSimulator.exe benchmark completed, 2326 frames rendered in 37.968 s
                     Average framerate  :   61.2 FPS
                     Minimum framerate  :   50.2 FPS
                     Maximum framerate  :   66.6 FPS
                     1% low framerate   :   37.9 FPS
                     0.1% low framerate :   15.8 FPS

Edited by Bnash00

Benjamin Nash

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4 RAM CL14, Asus ROG Strix 4090, Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard, LG OLED C1 48". 

Jealous man…. I’ve got similar specs and way worse performance. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

ashmatt77, I assume both of those 2 new airliners of yours are in community? Just move them out temporarily and see the fps numbers and DEV MODE charts at those airports. And compare when you have those airliners in community. I think you will find those 2 new airliners are not reducing your performance.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.