Sign in to follow this  
DrMelanogaster

LittleNavMap set as FSNavigator?

Remember FSNavigator from FS 2002 and FS9? I can't forget it! Every time I use Littlenavmap I feel clumsy cause it doesn't behave like FSNavigator! (Nor did FSTramp even though the author was the same!)

Has any one of you adjusted the LNM settings so it resembles FSN more? Like simplistic map that shows the navaids with clearly visible frequencies, distances and directions? 24082_2.jpg 

...possibility to use the mouse to draw  the line between the two spots that will show distance and direction?

...drag and drop the navaid to a side column in order to make a flightplan?

I know LNM has it (almost) all, but does anybody have some settings he'd wish to share in order to make these two more alike in appearance and functionality?

• Upvote 1

If you want fsnavigator then your answer is fstramp. It’s the same guy that made it. Only downside is it is a subscription.  

http://www.fstramp.com

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

You can pare down LittleNavMap with the simpler maps (offline maps etc.) but I haven't been able to get it pared down to the level of FSNavigator.

I did like FSNav.  Wasn't it the program where you could hit F9 and switch from the sim to FSNavigator with that keypress?   As they say in the hills, I miss them days.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

When FStramp first came out, it was pay once and use forever. Very soon after, it changed to subscription. I got in early and so got to use FStramp all through my FSX career for I think $15 (because I had a valid early registration key. The key still works  today).

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

20 hours ago, Mace said:

You can pare down LittleNavMap with the simpler maps (offline maps etc.) but I haven't been able to get it pared down to the level of FSNavigator.

I did like FSNav.  Wasn't it the program where you could hit F9 and switch from the sim to FSNavigator with that keypress?   As they say in the hills, I miss them days.

Yes, fantastic program - especially when everyone only had one monitor. Loved the ease of that......

11 hours ago, Fielder said:

When FStramp first came out, it was pay once and use forever. Very soon after, it changed to subscription. I got in early and so got to use FStramp all through my FSX career for I think $15 (because I had a valid early registration key. The key still works  today).

Surprised that it sells at all with a subscription model tbh, especially since it is not cheap...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I bought a subscription only because I really like the map and have used it for years.  I even have volanta running on every flight.  But this is the one on my other monitor that I like to follow along with.  At one point I tried to get into little nav map.  But it just felt to cluttered for me.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Little Nav Map tremendously enhances my enjoyment of MSFS. I keep it running on a separate monitor -- with no hit to FPS whatever -- and so I know where I'm flying. For those who don't have it, it's totally free. No subscriptions required.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

20 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Little Nav Map tremendously enhances my enjoyment of MSFS. I keep it running on a separate monitor -- with no hit to FPS whatever -- and so I know where I'm flying. For those who don't have it, it's totally free. No subscriptions required.

Am I just terribly OCD, or does it feel cluttered?  What's the secret to getting passed that?

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

Am I just terribly OCD, or does it feel cluttered?  What's the secret to getting passed that?

Simple: remove the clutter. Yes, by default LNM looks quite er... busy bit it is extremely configurable! Take advantage of that! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I suppose that another word for "clutter" is "too much of a good thing."

I do agree with you however. I personally have no idea what most of the innumerable options even do. As far as the moving map goes, however, there is a free download that permits you to use Google Maps instead of the default Open Street Maps. Google Maps don't provide as much detail as Open Street Maps -- especially in regard to the names of smaller airports -- but using Little Nav Map with Google Maps does seem to reduce some of the map clutter at least.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

As tup61 said above, there are very easy ways to de-clutter Little NavMap. There are many options to configure it if you take about 30 mins to just dig into it. Several map server options, buttons to turn on/off all the airspace (that is what makes it look so cluttered right off the bat...ALL the airspace options are on by default when you first install it). Flight planning is super simple...right click on airports or navaids, and add to flight plan. Flight plans can be easily exported to all the main sims. Very easy to set up and run on a second screen or even a second PC (that is what I do). The developer routinely keeps it updated as well. And, it's all free 🙂 You can really trim it down though so it looks very minimal.

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

I bought a subscription only because I really like the map and have used it for years.  I even have volanta running on every flight.  But this is the one on my other monitor that I like to follow along with.  At one point I tried to get into little nav map.  But it just felt to cluttered for me.  

How I first felt about it, but you can get rid of a lot of the windows if you want and have a bigger map.

As for Volanta I seem to keep bouncing between that and SimToolKitPro......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

right now FSTramp does everything and more I need.  If one day it comes up for renewal and I don't want it i'll consider littlenav map my plan b